Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: No oil pressure on rebuild
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dadsscooter
I haven't any oil pressure on reuilt 2.0. Had run for 15 seconds and when gauge didnt register shut it down to investigate. No oil pressure was confirmed by cranking engine with oil relief valve out... NO OILl! Also pulled valve cover and it was DRY! Had installed HD oil pump and gears turned fine when installed. I did however adjust the end play after installing the pump.

I had never pulled the oil pressure control valve from the case when rebuilding. Could this be it? Could the oil pump drive possibly become disengaged from the cam??? I realize any corrective action will most likely require removing my newly installed engine but am looking for any possible suggestions to follow. Fairly new to the air cooled scene. Please respond if you can help.

Thanks, Mike
Cap'n Krusty
Loosen the oil filter until there's a gap. Crank the engine (with the spark plugs out and the point wire disconnected) until oil comes out of that gap. Tighten the filter, clean up the mess, crank it 'til the light goes out. Bingo! Oil pressure.

BTW, it's BAD practice to start the engine without having cranked it for oil pressure. You just put a BUNCH of wear on the bearings. The established procedure is to crank it with the plugs out until the oil light goes out, then maybe a few more seconds. After that, you can install the plugs and run it at 1500 RPM or more at a steady speed for 20 minutes, shut it down, let it cool, and adjust the valves.

The Cap'n
dadsscooter
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Sep 28 2006, 08:01 PM) *

Loosen the oil filter until there's a gap. Crank the engine (with the spark plugs out and the point wire disconnected) until oil comes out of that gap. Tighten the filter, clean up the mess, crank it 'til the light goes out. Bingo! Oil pressure.

BTW, it's BAD practice to start the engine without having cranked it for oil pressure. You just put a BUNCH of wear on the bearings. The established procedure is to crank it with the plugs out until the oil light goes out, then maybe a few more seconds. After that, you can install the plugs and run it at 1500 RPM or more at a steady speed for 20 minutes, shut it down, let it cool, and adjust the valves.

The Cap'n

Thanks for your reply ... I had primed the filter and cranked it for a few brief trys with the coil wire off. Pump was also packed with light grease to help prime. Have pertronix... no points. I didn't think just cranking the engine would register on the gauge or make the light go out. We all learn from our mistakes.

Does anyone know approximately how long it takes to get oil pressure by loosening the oil filter?

If a oil pressure control valve is stuck, could it cause no oil pressure. I do know that there is a small drilling in it.

Does anyone know if the stock oil pump is prefered over the Heavy duty one or if the HD has any known problems?

Everyone has a opionion and I am ready to listen to any of them.

I wish I had found the club earlier. Hopfully I will soon be able to share my 914 experiences with others. As for now my knowledge of small sports cars lies mostly with "Z" cars and Triumphs.
Heeltoe914
Start with what the Cap'n said and let us know. I have used many HD pumps and thay work great IMHO. It can take time to get pressure up. Is it a Mallory pump? And are you sure the sending unit and gauge are working.
bd1308
I fill the filters up with oil too, but i know its not applicable to new/rebuilt engines.

Al Meredith
This happened to me on my last rebuild. Cranked and cranked and could not build pressure. I use a direct reading guage in the oil pressure switch hole. Same story as yours; new pump, greased, prefilled filter. I finally removed the filter and turned over till oil streamed streight down.... reinstalled the filter and everything worked fine ,. Listen to the capt'n. Al
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.