Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Transmission leak and screeching - HELP, please.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
toddmr
I have a 1975 914 1.8 and am experiencing the following:

1. Transmission leaking fluid.

2. high-pitched screeching when the car is started.

The screeching doesn't seem to change with the engine speed. If I rev the engine to higher RPM, the screeching stays pretty much constant.

Looking under the car, it appears that tranny fluid wasn't just leaking, but spraying.

The last time I drove the car before getting the screeching sound, the clutch felt different. It's hard to explain, but it kind of had a "gritty" feel to it.

I'll get it into the shop as soon as I can, but would like some help/clues on diagnosis, so I can at least brace myself for what might be headed my way repair-wise. And I can start working on my wife so she won't freak out over the bill.

If additional information would be helpful, let me know and I'll post it. May be able to get some photos under the car as well if that would be helpful.
grantsfo
QUOTE(toddmr @ Sep 28 2006, 07:16 PM) *

I have a 1975 914 1.8 and am experiencing the following:

1. Transmission leaking fluid.

2. high-pitched screeching when the car is started.

The screeching doesn't seem to change with the engine speed. If I rev the engine to higher RPM, the screeching stays pretty much constant.

Looking under the car, it appears that tranny fluid wasn't just leaking, but spraying.

The last time I drove the car before getting the screeching sound, the clutch felt different. It's hard to explain, but it kind of had a "gritty" feel to it.

I'll get it into the shop as soon as I can, but would like some help/clues on diagnosis, so I can at least brace myself for what might be headed my way repair-wise. And I can start working on my wife so she won't freak out over the bill.

If additional information would be helpful, let me know and I'll post it. May be able to get some photos under the car as well if that would be helpful.

Sounds like a transmission main shaft seal gone bad.
toddmr
Any idea how much it'll cost to remedy?
Dr Evil
Yup, main shaft seal probably contaminated your clutch disk as well (the gritty feel).

Tranny fluid shouldnt really "spray" as it is not a pressurized system. Look to see if the rear engine seal is not gone as well.

The screetching is odd. If it were from the tranny or engine it should vary with engine RPM. Are you sure it is not coming form a blower fan or something?
grantsfo
Depends on where that noise is coming from and whether the clutch disc is messed up from tranny oil. Seal is cheap all the other stuff can get expensive. If youre going to drop the tranny and havent done a clutch for awhile you might as well just do a new clutch. 914's are tough call as when you drop the tranny you may find more.
Dr Evil
QUOTE(toddmr @ Sep 28 2006, 10:31 PM) *

Any idea how much it'll cost to remedy?

Oh ya, welcome.png

Cost varies. Seals are about $10, they will have to drop your tranny to get to your clutch and check it all out. Clutch disk is a bit (not sure on price).

Check GPRparts or pelican for parts and prices.
TROJANMAN
the seal is about $15
the repair is pretty easy if you do it yourself, just time consuming
toddmr
I've done a fair bit of work on cars. Tell me if you think I should be able to accomplish this.

I have:

replaced the steering rack on a volvo 740;

replaced the brake booster, master cylinder, bent and installed brake hard lines on the volvo 740 and VW GTI;

rebuilt brake calipers, removed and installed new rotors, wheel bearings, etc. on my GTI;

I'm generally not afraid to give something a shot if I have a chilton's or equivalent, or better yet, photo play-by-play from a good website.

I'm trying to figure out if this is something realistically possible for me to do, or if I would just end up crying a lot, shipping to car to Auto Atlanta, and crying some more when the bill arrives.
toddmr
All these photos were taken under the passenger side.
mihai914
With these two articles you should be able to handle it.

Engine Drop

Clutch Replacement

Not that hard to do even for a first time, the only danger is that while you will be in there you'll want to fix this and that and will end up like many people here including myself having a jackstand queen!
grantsfo
Change of diagnosis. That appears to be leaking differential seal.
toddmr
Is the differential seal easier or harder than the rear transmission seal? Does it make sense to do both at the same time?
bondo
A bad release bearing will squeal right before it falls apart (ask me how I know) and also really messes up the pedal feel.
Dr Evil
Good call Bondo.

You need to reseal your tranny. The diff seals are much easier to do, but require you to remove the CVs, and output flanges (19mm bolt). Your intermediate plate gasket is leaking as well.

Basically, you should by a whole seal kit, read my thread on how to pull your gear stack, and replace all of the seals your self. You can do it, we can help. If you get hung up, just ask questions.

Seal kit = $40 and requires tranny drop biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.