Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: rotors and brake pads
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
will
hello,
I am looking to buy new rotors and brake pads on all four wheels. which rotors should I buy? cross-drilled? cryogenic? or original oem rotors? what about brake pads?
My local midas didn't even have pads for my car! How much should I pay in labor to have rotors and pads install? I can buy my own parts and pay someone to install them since most brake places don't carry the rotors nor pads.
thanks,
will biggrin.gif
Joe Ricard
For Pads I go directly to a online race shop and they have the exact pad I need which is without question Porterfield R4S for street. Can;t remember the site now but it was very easy and Porterfield drop shipped to my door.

Rotors ??? Definately not cross drilled I am undecided about slotting but cryogentic is hard to validate the expense.
I buy OEM rotors andthey seem to last me a long time. I do put studs in them as it makes it easier to change wheels.
If you buy the parts there is NO REASON YOU CAN"T DO THIS YOURSELF. Let Midas work on SUV's
davep
That depends on what you plan on doing with the car. Stock brakes are good if fully refreshed. Short of extended track use they should be fine for a stock car. If you must have serious brakes then consider the 914/6 style with vented rotors, at least, on the front. The 914/6 GT ran the Le Mans 24 hours with what amounts to 911S front and 914/6 vented rear with 200+ HP, do you really need more?
GBallantine
Dave,

Do you know any suppliers in the GTA who sell slotted stock front rotors? All I can find are stock Zimmerman.

Gord B
davep
Gord, sorry, I don't. I keep a few stock rotors at home.
Cap'n Krusty
I wouldn't take my granddaughter's old tricycle to Midas for brakes. Or a muffler, or anything else on their ever expanding list of services. Their work is crap, their parts are crap, and they don't know what they're doing. Oh, and they tell you things that just aren't true. IMO, ALL the chain stores are like that. This is an industry where most of the store managers are personal acquaintances of their state attorney general, and it's NOT because they're golfing buddies. Other than that, they are fine.

See the listers in our marketplace, or whatever it's called.

The Cap'n
Joe Ricard
I got to stop hanging out on here. I am agreeing with the crusty one more and more all the time.
Gint
I, and others on this board have said this before, but it bears repeating.

A stock 4 cylinder 914, with a functional stock braking system and Porterfield R4S pads will amaze you at how well it brakes. Seriously, unless you're used to driving a car with the ultimate in brakes, this setup's street performance will be more than adequate for your use.

So to specifically answer your question:
  1. If your plan is to buy rotors anyway, buy stock rotors.
  2. If your calipers are marginal, rebuild them or purchase a set of stock rebuilds. I highly recommend PMB Performance (our own salmon shirt wearin Eric Shea). <- link
  3. Buy a set of front and rear Porterfield R4S brake pads
Tobra
You best do it yourself, those rear calipers are unobtainium, and you will be kicking yourself when they screw them up.
davep
QUOTE(Tobra @ Sep 29 2006, 03:26 PM) *

You best do it yourself, those rear calipers are unobtainium, and you will be kicking yourself when they screw them up.

WTF.gif I just don't understand what you said.
mihai914
Translated to Canadian biggrin.gif the rear calipers are NLA and he will be headbang.gif once the guys at Midas or whatever common shop will ruin them because they tried to press in the pistons like on most cars, never even mind about adjusting the venting clearance.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.