Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: AX Tragedy in New Mexico
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
jdogg
I know you have heard of the tragedy last Sunday at the PCA event,,, but I don't know from who you heard it so I'll give you my view. I want the true picture to be the story for fear creativity might be cause for false ideas to spread. The event was at the Farmington City Safety Training Center west of town several miles. The PCA is the only organization that is cleared to use it for non-city activity. Brant Thrower (PCA) was the chairman. The course was a high energy and challenging design but none of us saw or raised formal (or otherwise) thoughts about the intrinsic safety of the layout. I think we were comfortable with what we saw and knewthe areas where one needed to use good sense. Drivers meeting was focused on safety and a lengthy discussion of the potential for off-course possibilities was prime material. I felt the organization and job assignments for worker positions was done very well.

Joe was in the first run group (of a 4 car grouping that PCA routinely
uses) and I believe had just finished his 3rd or 4th run when, after
crossing the lights at the finish, let off to slow for the grid re-entry lane. That lift probably instigated the right rotation drift that immediately ensued after the lights. He attempted to catch the drift with light throttle (from the sounds of the exhaust note) and then suddenly the engine went into strong thrust (this probably in 2nd gear; my guess). The car then launched left heading off track, heading for the arroyo (the only arroyo on the south perimeter of the complex). He impacted the far bank of the arroyo at considerable speed at that point resulting in the car going air-borne in what most of us that I talked to assumed was 2 full flips, end-over-end, landing on the wheels under a tree. I say assumed 2 flips as there was a tremendous cloud of dust upon impact hiding the car but not the many parts and componentsth at flew out from the cloud. That demonstrated the rate of rotation the car took in that cloud.

I was watching Joe's run including the finish and following off-track
excursion from one of the 9ft berms built up around the pistol range center portion of this facility. It was a point on the facility where one could see almost every section of the upper half and all of the lower section of the track. The finish was in the lower portion of the facility. There were at least 10-12 of us that were at Joe's side within 10-15 seconds; the fear of fire first in my mind and I'm sure others also. Dr. Don Vichick was there and with others got Joe out of the car (fear of fire and no pulse; need for immediate resuscitation attempt) as he guided the head-neck area during that process. We knew Joe needed immediate CPR under
the circumstances and what I saw was a very professional (though none
of us were EMT's, I don't think) application of the technique (I still am
current in my CPR training though was only observing and manning the fire extinguisher).

Don and 2 others (PCA members I think) worked on Joe for about 5-7 minutes when emergency personnel arrived and took over. It wasn't long before the Medical staff (EMT's and Don) terminated there attempts as Joe was pronounced dead a few minutes later. From a non-professionals view, I saw Joe in the car with what surely looked like a broken neck from the impact. There was also evidence that he had massive internal injuries in the upper torso. The impact was as if a bomb went off as the car was very abruptly stopped by the bank of the arroyo. I'm just guessing that 50-100 G's or more at impact time that no one could have survived. His harness kept him in the car as designed and helmet was still on his head and there was no contact of the roll bar with ground or anything else. Joe was a dear friend to me and just about anyone at the events that had the chance to talk to him. He was a fellow Bp driver and new to our sport in a strong (and beautiful) car. I spent time with him in a school or two the first year he came out mostly to make sure he got hooked and became
a regular. That part was successful,,, he did love driving that car and
always had a big smile on his face whenever that 427 was running!

It was the saddest day of my 43 years of Sports Car Club activities. I
have seen 4 pilots die at the air races in the past 12 years I've been
involved there but this really hit home and I still have trouble sleeping with the visions still fresh in my mind. I know Joe really loved what he was doing but I'm also sure that he never intended to die at it. I have always been impressed and proud of the safety ethic in our organization and some time things just happen no matter how hard we try,,, it is a risk activity that we pursue (or we most likely wouldn't do it).

My heart is still very heavy and I have attached a picture of Joe and the
Cobra just minutes before he headed out on his first run that morning. His smile tells all!
Jeroen
that's a truely sad story
real sorry about your friend Joe
sad.gif
Trekkor
Horrible.

Sounds like the throttle stuck or something.

KT
URY914
Very sad.
914nerd
I knew Joe and ran along side him at several AXes here in New Mexico
I also know the person who was first on the scene and he is a longtime coworker and friend of my father's
This is truly a tragedy and Joe will be missed
A moment of silence to honor his memory is in order
sad.gif

Charles
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.