Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Valve Covers
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
2-OH!
Are the 1.7 - 1.8 and 2.0 valve covers all the same...What about other options, like VW bus etc...Should I just look for Type IV engine covers...

2-OH!
Aaron Cox
i think they are all the same. there are some aftermarket bolt on versions, but the consensus of the group is that these arent as good. (mount to rocker studs ohmy.gif )
Jake Raby
They are all the same.......Aftermarket ones suck.
BarberDave
smilie_pokal.gif
Not that I would ever be put in a position to disagree with Jake. BUT! My stock valve covers leaked like a sive, anything I did to remedy the problem didn't work. So i bought a set of cast Aluminum aftermarket ones. That bolt to the rockers, no more leaks . Being cast they were thicker and more ridged. Or maybe my thirty yr. old valve covers were just worn out. Any way it worked for me. Dave smile.gif smilie_flagge6.gif
Jake Raby
Most people do not know that valve covers have a right and wrong way of being installed..

The right way is with the VW logo upside down.

Most of the time I can dyno an engine with stock covers and no sealant all day and never havea single drip.

Some covers are warped and will never seal off.

The reason I don't like the bolt on covers is the way they attaach. They expect a piece of grade 2 hex bar that has been threaded to hold the tesnion of the rocker assembly and the cover with a 7mmx1 thread pitch.

Poor design.

I use some carbon fiber valve covers, and have great results. they work with the stock bails.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Nov 1 2003, 09:44 AM)
The right way is with the VW logo upside down.

upside down, eh? (in my best homer simpson voice)

now that would explain a few things sad.gif
Andy
Jake Raby
Yep, upside down. a Type I ONLY goes on one way....guess what, logo is also upside down.
Aaron Cox
that seems stupid on vw's behalf.... common sense would tell you to put them right side up
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.