Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Dallas Contingent Wrench Day?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dagdal1967
Hey there....

Was wondering if there were any willing and warm bodies that would like to come help me tinker with my 74 1.8L.

Here are some things that I'd like to look at ...

The engine runs hot so I'd like to look into what might be causing that. I know there are a myriad of things that might have something to do with it, but y'all probably have way more knowledge than I do as to where to start.

Also, the FI system was taken off the car and replaced with a single carb by the P.O. The car run's OK, but doesn't have the "get-up-and-go" that I remember from my previous 1.7 '73 (with FI intact). I would love to get a handle on how I can improve the performance.

Most of the cosmetics are great, but I keep having problems with the passenger side window coming out of its track. I'm wondering if there is something wrong that I just can't see / Don't know about.

Anyway... Would love to have some help, and I'll by Lunch and Beer (beverage of choice) for those in attendance.

Thanks in advance...

Doug
Carrollton TX (Josey and 190-PGBT)

ClayPerrine
QUOTE(dagdal1967 @ Sep 29 2006, 04:47 PM) *

Hey there....

Was wondering if there were any willing and warm bodies that would like to come help me tinker with my 74 1.8L.

Here are some things that I'd like to look at ...

The engine runs hot so I'd like to look into what might be causing that. I know there are a myriad of things that might have something to do with it, but y'all probably have way more knowledge than I do as to where to start.

Also, the FI system was taken off the car and replaced with a single carb by the P.O. The car run's OK, but doesn't have the "get-up-and-go" that I remember from my previous 1.7 '73 (with FI intact). I would love to get a handle on how I can improve the performance.

Most of the cosmetics are great, but I keep having problems with the passenger side window coming out of its track. I'm wondering if there is something wrong that I just can't see / Don't know about.

Anyway... Would love to have some help, and I'll by Lunch and Beer (beverage of choice) for those in attendance.

Thanks in advance...

Doug
Carrollton TX (Josey and 190-PGBT)

That is the weekend just before MUSR 8. Are you trying to fix the car so it can make the trip?

zen motorcycle
I am at rosemead between Josey and Marsh, should be able to drop by for a while don't know much bout nuthin but will share what I do

beerchug.gif
dagdal1967
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Sep 29 2006, 01:58 PM) *

That is the weekend just before MUSR 8. Are you trying to fix the car so it can make the trip?

Unfortunately, I'm not going to be able to make it for MUSR 8. I'll be flying off to Sunny San Fran. to participate in Oracle World.

Hmmm.. Lets see... What is more fun.. Meeting up with other '14 lovin people or manning the booth and talking to complete strangers about your day job....

SON OF A .... headbang.gif
dagdal1967
QUOTE(zen motorcycle @ Sep 29 2006, 05:03 PM) *

I am at rosemead between Josey and Marsh, should be able to drop by for a while don't know much bout nuthin but will share what I do

beerchug.gif

Thanks ZEN.. I'm kinda in the same boat you are.. I'm able to do most of the stuff to restore a car (including some of the weirder wiring issues) but when it comes to the engine and stuff like adjustng the timing and understanding carbs.. I'm a complete LOSER! confused24.gif
ClayPerrine
I may be able to drop by for a while.... depends on what we have left to do for MUSR 8.

Grelber
I could drop by, but wouldn't be much help. I'm a newbie as well.
LowGT
QUOTE(dagdal1967 @ Sep 29 2006, 04:47 PM) *

Many will tell you the single carb is a disaster and you probably won't be able to tune it better. Seeing that your running hot, I would try to richen you fuel mixture and see how that helps the performance and the heat.

I might be able to come out for the day.
Stuie
Hey Doug,

I have the same setup and while I am no guru, I know my single carb has gotta go! It's like a foot each direction the gas has to travel to the cylinders so the lag is stupid and idle sux!

I am going to try the EMPI 40 carbs when I get the cash together to get an immediate fuel dump and I think that will improve the performance big time. I am in Arlington with a '70 1.7.

Post if you figure out a way to improve your singe and I may keep mine but I think thats probably the issue with your performance.

All best!
Stu
Grelber
Dual Weber 40's w/ NO problems. (for now).

zen motorcycle
Clay is your man, but you will probalby have to bribe him with free slave labor if you want him to come over.

Or this will work to get the most people jsharp.gif

You don't by chance have all the parts for the FI do you?
ClayPerrine
Like the 009 distributor, the single weber needs to be float tested.......

I have a complete 2.0 FI system (but it goes with the complete 2.0 Engine I have) and a bunch of spares for it. I also probably have a complete 1.8L L-Jet system, but anything I have for it is spoken for as spares for Betty's car.

I have bits and pieces of 1.7 D-Jet, but not a complete system.

If I were going to do a FI system, I would buy the weber style throttle bodies, and use a megasquirt to run them. The latest megasquirt even has the ability to control a DIS ignition.

Put a hot cam in the motor, and program the FI to work with it.

Fun stuff.....

dagdal1967
I know that a single carb is a dog... I'd love to get a dual carb setup, or going back to the original FI would be ideal.. I talked to the guys at ZIMS and they basically said "Why the F*CK would you wanna do that".... Didn't get it, but OK.. Their opinion.

I have a box full of FI parts, but don't know if I have the full setup. the PO said he put everything in the box that he had, but I dunno what I'm looking at. unsure.gif

As there are a number of people who are willing to come over, but who are either newbies or unskilled (like me), why not just turn it in to a D/FW meet up... I'd be willing to do the jsharp.gif beerchug.gif

Any work that gets done on the car... Bonus!!!!

Anyone have a preference on day? Saturday or Sunday?

Doug
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(dagdal1967 @ Oct 1 2006, 04:08 PM) *

I know that a single carb is a dog... I'd love to get a dual carb setup, or going back to the original FI would be ideal.. I talked to the guys at ZIMS and they basically said "Why the F*CK would you wanna do that".... Didn't get it, but OK.. Their opinion.

I have a box full of FI parts, but don't know if I have the full setup. the PO said he put everything in the box that he had, but I dunno what I'm looking at. unsure.gif

As there are a number of people who are willing to come over, but who are either newbies or unskilled (like me), why not just turn it in to a D/FW meet up... I'd be willing to do the jsharp.gif beerchug.gif

Any work that gets done on the car... Bonus!!!!

Anyone have a preference on day? Saturday or Sunday?

Doug

]

Doug,
I can come on Sat.... the wife has to go to a baby shower....

And I know what parts are necessary to put FI back on your car. I have removed the POS pinto/weber from many a 914, and gone back to the stock injection. I can make it work, or give you a list of the missing parts.

Take a look at my sig... Betty's car is a 74 1.8 with the stock injection........

What time do you want to start?
dagdal1967
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Oct 1 2006, 02:54 PM) *

Doug,
I can come on Sat.... the wife has to go to a baby shower....

And I know what parts are necessary to put FI back on your car. I have removed the POS pinto/weber from many a 914, and gone back to the stock injection. I can make it work, or give you a list of the missing parts.

Take a look at my sig... Betty's car is a 74 1.8 with the stock injection........

What time do you want to start?

Saturday it is then! mueba.gif rocking nana.gif

As for time, I'm really open... I'm up and around every day by 7:30AM at the latest (YES, even on the weekends! confused24.gif ) and I'm on my own that whole weekend, as my partner is doing a stint of work down south... So what ever time you think is appropriate.

I'll make sure that I have the tool kit, the jack stands, the BBQ and the BEER ready!

Thanks a million Clay..... Looking forward to meeting y'all ....

zen motorcycle
Saturday it is then! mueba.gif rocking nana.gif

As for time, I'm really open... I'm up and around every day by 7:30AM at the latest (YES, even on the weekends! confused24.gif )
[/quote]

I suggest sometime after 7:30 biggrin.gif

I don't do beer and cereal any more if I can help it! drunk.gif
dagdal1967
QUOTE(zen motorcycle @ Oct 2 2006, 10:23 AM) *

I suggest sometime after 7:30 biggrin.gif

I don't do beer and cereal any more if I can help it! drunk.gif

Well, yes.. After 7:30, but my thought was to try to get some work done BEFORE the beer... blink.gif
dagdal1967
Lets Say any time after 10:00 AM.. All who are interested please PM me and I'll get you the address and my phone number.

Looking forward to it!

Doug
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.