Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Man I should have doen that 6 months ago!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
VaccaRabite
We got my car on the rotisserie last satruday during my bachellor party. Tonight was the first night I really had a chance to do some work on the car with it so mounted. HOLY CRAP!

Man, I put off building the thing for months, mainly due to being intimidated by welding together a structure that would be holding the weight of my tub. I wish that I had not. Welding in patches that I had been really worried about was a piece of cake. Just turn the car until the welding angle is comphy, and zzzzap.

Pics of my creation:
IPB Image
IPB Image

Erin is out at her bachellorette party tonight, and I made myself come in from work at 10 just because I have an early morning tomorrow. I was having so much fun working on the car that I could have stayed out all night welding and grinding, much to the dismay of my neighbors, I'm sure.

I made it out of 2 $35 engine stands from harborfreight, and some steel from my local steel mill. My neighbor works at another local steel mill and gave me 8 feet of 2" square x 1/8" wall stell tube for free. I could have probably gotten it all from him but I did not want to be a burden. In all, it probably cost me ~$250.

For all the folks that are in the middle of restorations right now, ut don't want to spend the money or time to build one of these, oh brother, you don't know what you are missing.

Zach
Mr.C
Great idea on the Harbor Freight stands. I'm gonna make one up too, except my first up to cook on the roto will be a 68 Mustang Fastback.
I think that Harbor Freight is having a huge sidewalk sale this weekend. Maybe I can score some then.
I love it! clap56.gif
Dr Evil
About friggen time rolleyes.gif wink.gif
So.Cal.914
Well thats it I have to build one now, I can't let the right coast have all the fun.
banksyinoz
mad.gif now im gonna have to build one also

its hard keepin up with the jones's biggrin.gif

beerchug.gif beerchug.gif beerchug.gif beerchug.gif beerchug.gif drunk.gif

welder.gif idea.gif beerchug.gif beerchug.gif headbang.gif confused24.gif

you guys in the states have all the fun beer.gif
JPB
Spin and snoss homeskillet, spin and snoss. BBQ time! Whose got the snoss?

beer.gif Where's the beer fridge ?
jasons
You got any closeups of where you extended the vertical on the engine stand?

Looks good BTW. I was planning on making a cart to put mine on, maybe a rottiserie is just as easy and twice as useful.
Steve White
Nice job. Might want to make the mounting pads adaptable to both types of chassis. Did mine for the early mounts and now have to adapt them for a late chassis.
Aaron Cox
paging "guiltless".... pick up the white courtesy phone smile.gif
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(jasons @ Sep 30 2006, 11:17 AM) *

You got any closeups of where you extended the vertical on the engine stand?

Looks good BTW. I was planning on making a cart to put mine on, maybe a rottiserie is just as easy and twice as useful.

I can take them for you, but not tonight. it has been a very long (but very good) day. I'll take closeups of the frame and post them up for you tomorrow.

As to early mountings, with the basic frame I could add early mountings if I got an early car, or if I backdated my BBBs. But for the moment I don't need them. Waste not, want not, or somehting like that.
beerchug.gif
Zach
Crazyhippy
QUOTE(So.Cal.914 @ Sep 29 2006, 07:47 PM) *

Well thats it I have to build one now, I can't let the right coast have all the fun.

It's becuse their weather keeps them indoors during the winter, while we get to drive topless teeners year round biggrin.gif bootyshake.gif poke.gif

BJH
zaphod750
Harbor Freight rocks...I bought 5 of their truck bed extenders to build my rotisserie with...total cash outlay including the winches was about 140 bux. (not shown in the last pic are some extra gussets, and a pully system for the lift mechanism. I managed to strip the gears on one of the cheap ass winches.)
Mr.C
Do you have any close ups of the winch setup?
zaphod750
QUOTE(Mr.C @ Oct 1 2006, 04:54 AM) *

Do you have any close ups of the winch setup?

Sure...the only drawback to this setup is that the crank interferes with the front car for the last three turns or so at the top of its travel. The back is fine...I should have made the pad attachments on the front extend further. You can see the pin behind the winch that holds everything in place once its up...
zaphod750
Here is another pic of the pulley...
Click to view attachment

and one of the problem with the crank interfering with the car...

Click to view attachment

I got around this by turning the last couple cranks with a wrench..no big issue going up, kinda scary coming down.
VaccaRabite
I lifted mine up using people power. At a minimum 4 people can lift a tub, with a 5th running around getting everyhting in place. I had 10 people, and it went really easily.

Zach
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.