Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 9/30 Today in history
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Maltese Falcon
It's the 51st year marking the passing of James Dean "Too fast to live - Too young to die " and is well remembered by both cinema buffs as well as us gearheads.
This day also marks the passing of Porsche great Al Holbert, who also died on 9/30 when his private plane crashed. He was a fun person to hear as a guest speaker, and a magnificent road racer and businessman.
So a small toast to 2 great Porsche guys today !!
A small token I was given by Al at a race event smile.gif
Marty
Jeroen
beerchug.gif
Sammy
James dean, great?
That's a bit of a stretch IMO.

He was a young guy who did some acting, and he was at best a novice race car driver in his spare time.
About the only thing he did that was really remarkable was to live up to a phony rebel image that was created and marketted by the movie studio he worked for.
bmcwilli
OK,

Before everyone goes nutz over Sammy's post, remember, he said IMHO!

It's HIS opinion, and he's entitled. I disagree with Sammy. Dean was extremely talented. Thoese who only saw "Rebel Without a Cause" might well disagree.

Go rent and watch "Giant" some night. Dean is brilliant as Jet Rink. Never hurts to have Liz Taylor as your co-star either.

James Dean was also a fine photographer.

As a driver? We'll never know. But we can all agree that he died too young (anyone that dies in his 20's dies too young). He was not at fault in the accident that killed him. But I would venture to say that most of us on this board are pretty crappy racers too. I know I am. But I still love to AX, or even go to the go-kart track. You don't have to be great to be passionate.

Dean was passionate about his art. I will argue that he was also great.

Dean was passionate about cars and racing. We'll never know if he was brilliant there.

Please recall that Paul Newman won the SCCA (I think it was SCCA) championship in 1976, driving an antiquated TR-6 (and beat Porsches doing it).

People criticicized Newman for racing, said he had no business doing it. He did it, he learned it, and he won big. Then went on to successfully campaign a Datsun Z car.

Lots of people think Celine Dion is a great singer. She makes me wretch. But those that love her derive great pleasure from her work. I don't like her, but that is just my opinion.
Maltese Falcon
Great or not great , would definitely be ones opinion . Rolf (Left in the pic) proll'y didn't think much of James after the accident sad.gif
Marty
bmcwilli
Rolf W DID NOT DIE in the accident that kiled Dean

James Dean was not at fault in that accident.
Sammy
How fast was he going again? Last program I watched they estimated he was going 85 in a 55.

Yes the other car didn't see him and pulled out in front of him, but if Dean was going the speed limit it might not have happened. He shares at least some of the fault.
BTW last month when I was going to the historics at laguna Seca I stopped at the James dean memorial intersection where it happened. I've seen it on TV a bunch of times but standing there in person was different.
Kinda spooky wink.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.