Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 Color Codes, Part II
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
SirAndy
so, i went through the color codes pages and fixed a few errors.

- Silver Metallic is now the correct year range
- added a list of "Incomplete/Unconfirmed/Unknown - Color Codes"
- you can now sort the list by simply clicking on the different column headers
- added link to COA
- added link to Jeff Bowlsbys LE registry
- explained why i'm using the COA codes for the LE's
- added a "Notes" reference to the top of the pages

TODO:

- add list of custom colors (98)
- add color code matching to the VIN pages
- add actual car pictures as reference to each color
- add german color names to the list

WHAT I NEED FROM YOU:

- i'm trying to better match the RGB values to the actual colors, thanks for everyone who send me scans of the factory color sheets.
if someone has actual hi-res versions (or color copies), that would be awesome!

- any other 98 or L98 (special order) colors that are out there? so far, i have:
Aubergine, Sepia Brown, Raspberry, Guards Red

- any other additional colors that have a real color code? so far, i have:
L40M Lilac, L62O Sahara Beige, L63E Green ?

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act=colors

comments are welcome!
piratenanner.gif Andy

Katmanken
Yup, Sor Ahndie,

I got a comment or two,

You Need to add...

Discontinued Standard Colors- in 1973

Lemon Yellow- L11E

Optional Colors 1973
Saturn Yellow Metallic L99A

Discontinued Optional Colors (in 1973)
A second Gold- L97H (also a L97G)

Colorado metallic L97D

A list of colors for 1973 can be found in the factory 914 manuals Volume 8 -Body, near the end on page 22.1-1/1.

I have 2 Saturn yellow cars and would like to see a Saturn Yellow Metallic L99A

Ken
So.Cal.914
Nice work OpaAndy. Oh and what is the color code for that mohawk of yours? biggrin.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(So.Cal.914 @ Sep 30 2006, 06:08 PM) *

Nice work OpaAndy. Oh and what is the color code for that mohawk of yours? biggrin.gif

"Vampire Red", Code: L00K

aktion035.gif Andy
SirAndy
UPDATE:

- the main page now lists *all* your VINs below the menu, this allows for much easier editing. simply click on your VIN number to edit the info ...

- if a color code was supplied, the background of that cell now displays the actual color ...

- when you edit your VIN, you now can choose your color code from a dropdown list that uses the same info as the color code page ...

piratenanner.gif Andy
markb
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Sep 30 2006, 07:32 PM) *

QUOTE(So.Cal.914 @ Sep 30 2006, 06:08 PM) *

"Vampire Red", Code: L00K

aktion035.gif Andy

clap56.gif chairfall.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(kwales @ Sep 30 2006, 06:04 PM) *

Lemon Yellow- L11E
Saturn Yellow Metallic L99A
A second Gold- L97H (also a L97G)
Colorado metallic L97D

hum ....

L11E - i have listed as "Canary Yellow", but DGVWPB lists it as "Zitronen Gelb", which would be in fact "Lemon Yellow" ...
anyone here who can confirm if it was in fact ever called "Canary Yellow" in the US?

L99A - i have listed as "Delphi Green Metallic", but DGVWPB lists it as "Saturngelb Metallic", which would be in fact "Saturn Yellow Metallic" ...
anyone here who can confirm if it was in fact ever called "Delphi Green Metallic" in the US?

L97D - i have listed as "Red Metallic", but DGVWPB lists it as "Coloradometallic", which would be in fact "Colorado Metallic" ...
anyone here who can confirm if it was in fact ever called "Red Metallic" in the US?

L97H - DGVWPB lists it as "Goldmetallic", which would be in fact "Gold Metallic" ...
anyone here ever seen this code? btw. L97G is also listed as "Goldmetallic" in DGVWPB

anyone?
confused24.gif Andy
JeffBowlsby
Andy thanks for the great work you have done on this page and for the hot links to my LE site.

Below is a photo of a paper label, factory applied re: the L99A saturngelb...but as you can see, the car is Delphi green metallic. I think they just used two different names for some unkown reason.

I would lose the whole UV39 color...the car was never made... thumb3d.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Oct 2 2006, 08:07 AM) *

I would lose the whole U3V9 color...the car was never made... thumb3d.gif

i'll leave it in there. you never know, maybe one will show up eventually ...
smile.gif Andy
davep
Email me your address Andy. I'm at work and don't have it handy. I'll send you my latest Excel file. Yes many colors had more than one name used. That is confusing for sure.
SirAndy
QUOTE(davep @ Oct 2 2006, 10:01 AM) *

Email me your address Andy. I'm at work and don't have it handy. I'll send you my latest Excel file. Yes many colors had more than one name used. That is confusing for sure.

email sent ...
bye1.gif Andy
1970 Neun vierzehn
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Oct 1 2006, 01:56 PM)

"L11E - i have listed as "Canary Yellow", but DGVWPB lists it as "Zitronen Gelb", which would be in fact "Lemon Yellow" ...
anyone here who can confirm if it was in fact ever called "Canary Yellow" in the US?"

SirAndy,
I have a PORSCHE factory publication dated 1970 that refers to "lemon yellow" as the color yellow as applied to a 914, although no paint code designation is referenced. My PORSCHE CoA, obtained many years ago refers to my paint color as "Canary Yellow" w/paint code # 2910 confused24.gif My door jamb plate has the code L11E, the code used for /4s.
The US P+A marketing "suits" probably figured using the word "lemon" for a new car color was not a good idea, and began calling it "Canary yellow" here stateside.
SirAndy
QUOTE(1970 Neun vierzehn @ Oct 3 2006, 07:57 AM) *

SirAndy,
I have a PORSCHE factory publication dated 1970 that refers to "lemon yellow" as the color yellow as applied to a 914, although no paint code designation is referenced. My PORSCHE CoA, obtained many years ago refers to my paint color as "Canary Yellow" w/paint code # 2910 confused24.gif My door jamb plate has the code L11E, the code used for /4s.
The US P+A marketing "suits" probably figured using the word "lemon" for a new car color was not a good idea, and began calling it "Canary yellow" here stateside.

that actually would make perfect sense ...

i gotta figure out how to deal with those odd "wrong" karman badges. i thought i would add a simple date/type of car check to the VIN pages, but then cars like your, with the "incorrect" badges would fall through the cracks ...
gotta think about that for a bit ...

thanks for the info ...
smilie_pokal.gif Andy
davep
I have many COA's that list the color as xx10 when the car is a /4. That is incorrect as all /4 had the VW Lxxy code except for the 98 specials. Some specials got L98 as well. The 914/6 started with the xx of the xx10 codes stamped into the Karmann badge. Later, in 1972, they also got the VW code. Later COA's have the xxV9 coding. That indicates that the translator of the Cardex is taking some liberties when preparing the COA.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.