Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Winter Projects
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
StratPlayer
It won't be long before the teener gets ready for a winters nap. I acquired some things over a period of time and this is what I've got planned for the winter project.

I'm going to put together a spare motor for the 914. I've been busy doing a lot of powder coating. I got all the small pieces of the tin done, now I've been working on the bigger tin pieces and other odds and ends.
StratPlayer
kinda before and after pics of the tin
StratPlayer
This is the case I'm going to use
StratPlayer
GA
StratPlayer
another
StratPlayer
Box O goodies... I have a complete D jet injection setup. ECU rebuilt, brand new MPS, ECU and MPS match. New fuel injectors, new TPS, heads, crank, rods, all the bearings, still have to get a cam and lifters. I have new Mahle 94mm Euro pistons, I'm not building a race car just a spare motor.. This will keep me busy during the cold months of winter. I'm in no hurry so I plan on taking my time and doing the job right.
StratPlayer
Wish me luck
draperjojo
Sweet!!!!!!!!!!!!
jsteele22

Man, that's quite the box of toys. Look forward to seeing it all together 51 weeks from now....
rhodyguy
cool beans. which set of runners? should be a peppy little engine. all the new fi gear makes you good to go for 30 years. someone sure hated that poor harness!! sad.gif save those boots if any of them are good.

k
StratPlayer
Since my car is orange I'm going with the orange runners.
type47
cool! on your project schedule, i'm on week 55! i just completed your same project plan, in fact, i took it out on a 50 miler engine break-in run today. kinda satisfying to be able to drive something you built yourself. and my car is bahia red (red-orange)!
JoeSharp
I planed a winter project. Then it turned into a summer project and on into the next winter.
Now I just keep it going and broadcast the finishing of a setp in the general progress.
Good Luck.
:PERMAGRIN: Joe
Howard
QUOTE(draperjojo @ Sep 30 2006, 02:21 PM) *

Sweet!!!!!!!!!!!!

Speaking of sweet, thanks for letting me borrow your guitar. I'm a nylon string guy(Gibson C1) and yours didn't even hurt my fingers. Great find.

And we're so envious of you Northern types. You get to work on your cars all winter. We always get sidetracked with January days like this. poke.gif
ThinAir
That looks so nice that I don't think you can leave it as a spare. I expect to see it in the car for next year's RRC for "show-n-tell"! drooley.gif
StratPlayer
Got the rest of the big pieces of tin finished and I finished up the fan shroud this morning.. I cleaned all the grease and grime off the shroud using brake cleaner and some rags it came out really clean. Then I used some etching primer then finished it off with some cast coat, we'll see how long the paint last on this shroud.

I took a few pics of how the shroud came out.
StratPlayer
another view
StratPlayer
Last one
Eric_Shea
smilie_pokal.gif
ThinAir
drooley.gif
StratPlayer
The general idea..
StratPlayer
another
StratPlayer
Case is split and ready
StratPlayer
another
StratPlayer
Making a list an checking it twice
JPB
Wow nice collection. You should do a step by step rebuild page for us newbies.

smilie_pokal.gif
StratPlayer
All the tin is done and ready
StratPlayer
The parts pile grows.. Only thing I'm waiting on is the timing gear and HD oil pump they are both on there way.
McMark
Gorgeous!!! clap.gif

Any chance of talking you out of stock injection? wink.gif
type47
i like the covers of the guitar magazines in the background. Scotty & Elvis!!! (i'm a strat and tele player)

oh, the engine parts.... WOW. i agree with a step-by-step engine build write up.
StratPlayer
I don't think so on going to carbs,,, I have a new Djet setup, and I'm going to be using that. Car is FI now and it would be just a matter of dropping and replacing the engine and tranny, plug and play. Cam is setup for FI also.
VegasRacer
Looking Good Jim. smilie_flagge24.gif
StratPlayer
Great way to start my weekend,,, HD oil pump is here and the NEW timing gear is here, just got off the phone with the gentleman that is going to do all the balancing. He comes to my house monday to pick up all the stuff he needs to do the balancing. Once all the balancing is complete then I can start putting together all the internals for the engine.
StratPlayer
Gentleman just showed up and picked up all the stuff for balancing. He's a Captain in the Firedepartment here and does this work on the side. Was referred to me by a friend who builds racing motors. He comes to your home a picks up the things needed for balancing. These are the things he wanted to do the job. Said he didn't need the clutch disc.
McMark
The clutch disc attaches to the tranny, not the motor. wink.gif

That's cool that he comes to your house so he can get the right stuff.
StratPlayer
Crap,, got everything back from getting balanced. I started to assemble the crankshaft, to the bearing, timing gear, horseshoe ring, distributor driver gear, then the snap ring. I started putting on the rods and I'll be damned the rods seem to be to small for this crank. I bought these rods quite a while ago, I'm pretty sure these rods are not for a 2.0 engine, cause they don't fit the crank. Damn the bearings in the rods fit perfect and I just bought these and they are for a 2.0. I think I'll be hunting for the right rods.
StratPlayer
This is what it looks like when you try to install the rods.
StratPlayer
another
MrKona
I haven't built an engine yet, but have been staying late at night reading Tom Wilson's book about rebuilding VW engines... With that being said...

Are you sure it's the rods that are wrong and not the crank? The 1.7, 1.8 rods have a balancing pad, the 2.0 rods don't. Your rods look like 2.0.

The 2.0 rod journals on the crank are 5mm smaller than those on the 1.7 and 1.8 to allow for added stroke. Maybe you've got a crank for a 1.7/1.8? idea.gif

Brad Roberts
Jim,

back away with the camera just a little bit. I cant see the "important" parts correctly. The guy above me is correct about the rods looking like 2.0 rods.

Take both of your 2.0 rod bearings and some "lube" of some sort and place them together on the rod journal. They should just about touch if they are 2.0 and the crank is 2.0

B
StratPlayer
I'm afraid you might be right. I was thinking that maybe this is the wrong crank. Oh well
Brad Roberts
Just looking at pics above.. that is a 1.7/1.8 crank. The rod journals on a 1.7/1.8 are almost the same diameter as the mains. A quick measure would tell the tale.

B
StratPlayer
Minor delay with the crank problem, got another crank the right one, its off being checked and polished. In the meantime I've been working on getting the rest of the parts needed. I powdercoated the flappers for the fan housing and got them installed, also mounted the alternator on the housing. Soon as I get the crankshaft back in everything goes for balancing. Once I get everything back I can start the assembly of the short block. Cold here, tons of snow falling the mountains. This will keep me busy during these cold ass days.
StratPlayer
QUOTE(StratPlayer @ Nov 28 2006, 11:09 AM) *

Minor delay with the crank problem, got another crank the right one, its off being checked and polished. In the meantime I've been working on getting the rest of the parts needed. I powdercoated the flappers for the fan housing and got them installed, also mounted the alternator on the housing. Soon as I get the crankshaft back in everything goes for balancing. Once I get everything back I can start the assembly of the short block. Cold here, tons of snow falling the mountains. This will keep me busy during these cold ass days.

StratPlayer
I've been posting progress on the winter project in my Blog

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?aut...blogid=409&
BigDBass
Man, that looks fuchin' baaaad! Great job so far. When you're done, build me one in green! biggrin.gif
StratPlayer
The winter project is complete. I buttoned up the final things on the engine today. I will try like hell to get this engine installed into the car this week... Sure has been a fun project and I learned a hell of a lot doing this. I want to thank all the people that helped me along the way, by giving me advice and people who have sold me or have given parts to help me complete this project. Thanks to each and everyone of you. Now for some pics.
StratPlayer
More pics
StratPlayer
More
StratPlayer
Last ones
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.