Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Interior trim removal questions
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
HCRDAN
I'm a 914 newbie with a 73 2.0L and I have several issues:

1) the wires to the light between the seats has dropped somewhere down there so I need to retreive it to plug it back in. How does that panel come off (Vertical panel between the two seats). Does it require removal of the seats?

2) there is some clucking sound, like something being buffetted by the wind, and hitting the firewall back there somewhere. Occurs at about 60mph with windows down, top off. How does the panel between the seats and the door come off? Again, does it require removal of the seats?

3) While I'm in there, seat belt retractors are not retracting as they should. Any trick to repairing these?

4) Dashboard gauges. How do those come out? in my older 911s, those were simply held in by friction. Is it the same in the 914? I need to pull the speedo to repair the odometer.

5) Console gauges. Do you have to get those out from behind (and thus require removing the console to get to them)? I and need to pull the temp gauge to repair the light, and the clock to r/r it as well.

Thanks for any advice on these topics.

DG
73 914 2.0l
97 993 Targa

rhodyguy
1. push the seats fully forward. you should see 4 screws on the bottom of the back pad. remove them. pull the engine lid knob out a bit (not enough to open the lid), grasp the metal end of the cable with a pair of pliers (not on the threads) and turn the knob off. the black plastic item behind the knob is threaded on . turn it counter clockwise. it will not come out. just unscrew. the bottom of the back pad should now be loose. gently pull it out on the bottom and then down. a couple of clips on the back side will slip out of their respective holders.

2. is the clucking sound the loose/hanging seatbelt straps banging around?

3. my seat belts never fully retract on their own. you may have to nurse them back in. taking them apart to clean them is not advised. loaded springs-sudden release of tension.

4. the gauge cluster is held on by 5 little screws. 3 on top 2 on the bottom. you may find it easier to remove the wheel first. haynes explains this. you need to disconnect the odo reset cable at the knurreled(sp) knob on the bottom of the lower pad. the was a thread on this just the other day. unplug the wires and the gauge will come out of the panel.

5. unless you see screws in the face of the console plate, it's sort of a friction fit. the top of the center console might hold the bottom. once you get the face out it's all right there.

k
Air_Cooled_Nut
Cleaning the seat belts is easy and can help. Hand wash in warm, soapy water and rinse VERY WELL! See the beginning photos here (disassembly not required):
http://www.icbm.org/cmgallery/thumbnails.php?album=31
Tobra
Clucking sound might be loose rear window, you will have to remove back pad to fix that.

The three round gauges just slide in there, rubber grommet holds them in.
pfierb
QUOTE(HCRDAN @ Sep 30 2006, 06:29 PM) *

I'm a 914 newbie with a 73 2.0L and I have several issues:

1) the wires to the light between the seats has dropped somewhere down there so I need to retreive it to plug it back in. How does that panel come off (Vertical panel between the two seats). Does it require removal of the seats?

2) there is some clucking sound, like something being buffetted by the wind, and hitting the firewall back there somewhere. Occurs at about 60mph with windows down, top off. How does the panel between the seats and the door come off? Again, does it require removal of the seats?

3) While I'm in there, seat belt retractors are not retracting as they should. Any trick to repairing these?

4) Dashboard gauges. How do those come out? in my older 911s, those were simply held in by friction. Is it the same in the 914? I need to pull the speedo to repair the odometer.

5) Console gauges. Do you have to get those out from behind (and thus require removing the console to get to them)? I and need to pull the temp gauge to repair the light, and the clock to r/r it as well.

Thanks for any advice on these topics.

DG
73 914 2.0l
97 993 Targa

Just pull the console guages out with your fingers very easy.....you don't have to take the panel off
HCRDAN
QUOTE(Tobra @ Sep 30 2006, 06:36 PM) *

Clucking sound might be loose rear window, you will have to remove back pad to fix that.

The three round gauges just slide in there, rubber grommet holds them in.

Yes, it seems the sound is the rear window being lose. I was not aware of this as a typical problem, but based on your post, was able to duplicate the sound by grabbing the left bottom corner of the rear glass and moving it back and forth. I'll search archive to see if I can find the way to fix this.

Was able to pull gauges out as you suggested also. They are just held by rubber gasket just like the 911. Cleaning contacts got all the bulbs working again.

Thanks for the help.
Lavanaut

Yes, it seems the sound is the rear window being lose. I was not aware of this as a typical problem, but based on your post, was able to duplicate the sound by grabbing the left bottom corner of the rear glass and moving it back and forth. I'll search archive to see if I can find the way to fix this.

I just did this last month, with lots of help from this great post in the classics forum: http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=15821

Good luck!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.