Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: hell hole woes
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
zaphod750
It is a sad day....I started poking things with a screwdriver and found that a lot more was bad than I thought. Metal that looked good on the outside turned out to be rotted thru from the inside. The hole itself is not that bad, but the longitudinal is pretty much shot. And somehow the motor mount got rusted thru in some parts. Does anyone even sell a motor mount to replace that bit? I am not agains fabricating. I think I am going to follow Michelko's lead and replace the inner wheelhouse. Anyone have any tips on the motor mount?
Tobra
Dude, that ain't that bad
John
I want to see a pic taken from much further away. Is the car laying on it's side? Is it on a rotissorie? Where is the floor?

Are you somehow attached to the car? If not, you may consider getting a rust free California tub shipped to you to start with (you may be money ahead doing that).

If you are going to weld this one back together, I wish you the best of luck.

You may want to bolt the suspension points to some sort of jig so they don't move too much when you try to repair the floor and the long. I hope you at least have some door braces bolted in place.

I have seen worse.
SirAndy
QUOTE(JOHNMAN @ Sep 30 2006, 08:17 PM) *

I have seen worse.

agree.gif for the motor mount, get a good one from someones parts car. or call the usual outlets, HPH, EASY and PartsHeaven ...

welder.gif Andy
michelko
QUOTE(zaphod750 @ Sep 30 2006, 06:49 PM) *

It is a sad day....I started poking things with a screwdriver and found that a lot more was bad than I thought. Metal that looked good on the outside turned out to be rotted thru from the inside. The hole itself is not that bad, but the longitudinal is pretty much shot. And somehow the motor mount got rusted thru in some parts. Does anyone even sell a motor mount to replace that bit? I am not agains fabricating. I think I am going to follow Michelko's lead and replace the inner wheelhouse. Anyone have any tips on the motor mount?

Wow big project!!

But it sure can be done. Keep an eye on the frame measurements and fabricate an adjustable brace to keep it straight.

smilie_flagge6.gif
mihai914
Like others have said, the saine solution is to buy a clean tub from the west coast or down south.

If you fall in the insane category, you'll start fixing the car.

What I see as the most challenging on your car is repairing that section that is under the rectangle. That small strip there is what keeps the car tied together, it attaches part of the floor with the outer and inner rocker. The big issue is how are you going to brace it and expand the car there so while you are repairing you'll be able to keep the lower gap open.

If you have a rotisserie, it's allready a good thing, the motor mount is something fairly easy to replace, at least the console looks good, I would reingforce that also with some of the plates that Chris Foley sells in the ressource sections.
zaphod750
Johnman,

Here are some pics from the side..its on a rotisserie.

and the underneath..I actually thought the same thing (get another tub) when i first saw the damage. After i saw some of the posts on here about repairing some of the damage, I felt a little better about it...a lot of work though. Does anyone have a clean tub for sale?? If the price is right, I would certainly welcome the chance to put off the rustoration for another day.
mihai914
If the paint is as good as it looks, it changes a bit the game. Also you don't necessarily need to open the fender to do the repair especially since the rust is on the lower part. You can make a patch and fix it like this.
zaphod750
Well, there is undoubtedly going to be some alteration of the fenders anyway. I am going to attempt some Kelly flares. I plan on putting an Sti engine in this car so it would almost be a shame to mess up a pristine tub.
J P Stein
Contrary to what seems to be conventional wisdom around here, 914 ownership does not require that one punish onesself for years while waiting for your first drive.
Jackstands are a very temporary option that did not come from the factory. Rottiseries are for restoration shops that suck monies out of folks that have too much.

Part that POS out and buy a nice driver. If you happen to find a Ferrari 250TR in a barn, we'll talk. biggrin.gif
914-8
Anyone who disagrees with what JP just said is an idiot!

biggrin.gif
J P Stein
QUOTE(914-8 @ Oct 1 2006, 10:20 AM) *

Anyone who disagrees with what JP just said is an idiot!

biggrin.gif

That is a bit harsh.
I've met some intellegent masochists over the years biggrin.gif
John
I don't see any wheels on that rotissorie. Are you working on it outdoors?

You must be brave.

How good at welding and fabricating sheet metal parts are you?

Your repair can certainly be done if time and effort are not in short supply. You will need some repair panels (call restoration design).

Price the panels first and also look for a better CA tub (I know they are out there, because I recently bought one)

The tub I found was only slightly higher in price than a rear floor section, the two reinforcement pieces, and two outer longitudinals, and the tub came with the hoods, decklid, doors, and top.

I'm not telling you to give up on your car, but be aware of alternate options that may be available to you. If you decide to repair your car, you are in for a considerable amount of welding and fabricating.
ayama
agree.gif

If your going to repair yourself:

http://www.restoration-design.com/index1.html
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.