Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: ENGINE CASE SEALER?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dadsscooter
HI GUYS,...GALS.
I AM FAIRLY NEW TO THE AIRCOOLED SCENE. MY QUESTION HAS TO DO WITH CASE SEALING. DO YOU APPLY ONLY TO THE OUTER PARTING EDGES OF THE CASE OR IS IT REQUIRED TO ALSO APPLY SEALER AROUND THE MAINS AND CAMSHAFT PARTING AREAS ALSO.

HAVE READ MUCH ABOUT SPECIFIC CASE SEALERS. MY NEIGHBOR BELIEVES THAT HONDA BOND 4 OR YAMA BOND 4 WOULD MAKE A EXCELLENT SEALER AS IT IS USED FOR THIS PURPOSE ON MOTOCYCLE CASES. IS HE RIGHT???

THANKS, MIKE
Dominic
QUOTE(dadsscooter @ Oct 1 2006, 05:40 AM) *

HI GUYS,...GALS.
I AM FAIRLY NEW TO THE AIRCOOLED SCENE. MY QUESTION HAS TO DO WITH CASE SEALING. DO YOU APPLY ONLY TO THE OUTER PARTING EDGES OF THE CASE OR IS IT REQUIRED TO ALSO APPLY SEALER AROUND THE MAINS AND CAMSHAFT PARTING AREAS ALSO.

HAVE READ MUCH ABOUT SPECIFIC CASE SEALERS. MY NEIGHBOR BELIEVES THAT HONDA BOND 4 OR YAMA BOND 4 WOULD MAKE A EXCELLENT SEALER AS IT IS USED FOR THIS PURPOSE ON MOTOCYCLE CASES. IS HE RIGHT???

THANKS, MIKE

Jake Raby builds more of these engines than anyone and he uses Curil K2 to seal the case halves. He has tested all the ather sealants and this Curil K2 is the best.
Follow the link below to his store:

http://www.aircooledtechnology.com/store/home.php?cat=311
dadsscooter
QUOTE(Dominic @ Oct 1 2006, 09:05 AM) *

QUOTE(dadsscooter @ Oct 1 2006, 05:40 AM) *

HI GUYS,...GALS.

THANKS, MIKE

Jake Raby builds more of these engines than anyone and he uses Curil K2 to seal the case halves. He has tested all the ather sealants and this Curil K2 is the best.
Follow the link below to his store:

http://www.aircooledtechnology.com/store/home.php?cat=311

THANKS FOR THE LINK ... ANY INFO ON WHERE TO APPLY???
jk76.914
I didn't know about the Curil product when I assembled my case 4 years ago, so I used Loctite 574. Previously the recommended product. Works fine, and you can get it at Pelican Parts. It's not cheap, but it works great.

It's interesting stuff. It cures in the absense of air, but requires the presence of metallic ions. So the stuff that oozes out never really cures, which may puzzle you, but the stuff in the joint does.

Whichever you use, be sure it's a flange sealant. DON'T use silicone! It won't squeeze down enough and will ruin your clearances.

I'm very interested in responses to your other question as well. I put the flange sealant on the bearing webs, but I put a very thin layer, and kept it away from the bearing bores. Basically, you want to seal where the through holes for the case bolts are, I reasoned. Between sealing there, plus using a sealant on the bolt heads, washers, and nuts, you'll go a long way to getting a dry engine later. But I couldn't find anywhere that said explicitly you should or shouldn't.

I did note that the 911 rebuild manual I have clearly shows Loctite 574 completely covering the bearing webs, top to bottom.

Good luck!
Jim

Bleyseng
to the outer edges only of the case. Both case halves get a light coating then let it dry for a couple of minutes then put it together.

Go to the Type4store.com and also order Jake's video on engine rebuilding. If you are new to AC then you need this video so you don't make any mistakes.

So the engines apart?

New Cam and lifters installed? You really can't reuse old cams and lifters....

Checking the thrust on the cam bearings?

We also don't use caps to type as that is shouting, Thanks.

popcorn[1].gif
Jake Raby
I have finished my sealants manual and currently am holding off on releasing it until my new forums are up. I **might** end up posting it there on the new part of the site instead of selling it..

Curil K2 is my choice for cases due to many reasons, especially if you want to run synthetic oil later down the road..
dadsscooter
QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Oct 1 2006, 12:29 PM) *

I have finished my sealants manual and currently am holding off on releasing it until my new forums are up. I **might** end up posting it there on the new part of the site instead of selling it..

Curil K2 is my choice for cases due to many reasons, especially if you want to run synthetic oil later down the road..

Thanks to all who have replied. I will take your advise. What a great site!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.