Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: A little help with connecting tow lights to a 914
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
computers4kids
Could anyone help...I am a little confused how to connect a tow vehicle's lights to my wiring of my 914. Dan (Almaden Valley) supplied the bottom schematic, but I'm still unclear...he has made refrences to "BL" "T" "T" and "BR" on the schematic.

I have attached the 914 talight wiring diagram for further clarification.

I am using a Roadmaster kit that uses 4 of the 2in 1 out diodes.

I know this should be simple!!
Mark
Aaron Cox
it was sooo easy to put the magnetic towlights on...

3 minutes... got me to utah and back....

you sure you want to tap into the stock wiring?
computers4kids
QUOTE(Aaron Cox @ Oct 1 2006, 04:44 PM) *

it was sooo easy to put the magnetic towlights on...

3 minutes... got me to utah and back....

you sure you want to tap into the stock wiring?

Aaron...I'm already too far into the project. I've run all the wires etc...just a few diodes away.

I'm not cutting my wire harness, I'm actually taking the clip that connects to the brake lights and connecting it to the diodes and making a short jumper leads

I'm SOOOOOO close
computers4kids
I understand that I won't be using the left and right turn signal terminals on the 914 (L & R)

I'm not to sure how to connect the running lights. It appears from Don's diagram that there are two "tailight" diodes. I don't think it goes to the "Parking lights" on the brake light as denoted on the 914 wiring schematic.

????????

DanT
QUOTE(computers4kids @ Oct 1 2006, 04:35 PM) *

Could anyone help...I am a little confused how to connect a tow vehicle's lights to my wiring of my 914. Dan (Almaden Valley) supplied the bottom schematic, but I'm still unclear...he has made refrences to "BL" "T" "T" and "BR" on the schematic.

I have attached the 914 talight wiring diagram for further clarification.

I am using a Roadmaster kit that uses 4 of the 2in 1 out diodes.

I know this should be simple!!
Mark

Right side.

Bl-brake left #54 on your 914 diagram remove wire from terminal #54 and put into input side of diode. The other input lug on that same diode gets the green wire from your new harness. You make a new lead to go from the out put side of the same diode to now connect to terminal #54.
This light will now function as your left turn and brake light.

Tail light left- connect the second diode by taking the wire off of the "58" terminal on the tail light. now connect that lead onto the second diode input side along with the brown wire from the towing wiring harness.

Repeat for corresponding terminals and diodes on the Right side.

hope this helps.
DanT
QUOTE(computers4kids @ Oct 1 2006, 05:37 PM) *

I understand that I won't be using the left and right turn signal terminals on the 914 (L & R)

I'm not to sure how to connect the running lights. It appears from Don's diagram that there are two "tailight" diodes. I don't think it goes to the "Parking lights" on the brake light as denoted on the 914 wiring schematic.

????????

Yes there are two tail light diodes, left and right with a jumper wire on the input side of each diode connecting both diodes together.

computers4kids
[quote name='Dan (Almaden Valley)' date='Oct 1 2006, 06:42 PM' post='785312']
[quote name='computers4kids' post='785223' date='Oct 1 2006, 04:35 PM']

Tail light left- connect the second diode by taking the wire off of the "L" terminal on the tail light. now connect that lead onto the second diode input side along with the brown wire from the towing wiring harness.

[/quote]
Don,
Thanks for responding...
You said above to take the wire off the "L" terminal to connect the running lights--according to the diagram given to me (above) the "L" terminal says its for turn signals?? --just like the "R" terminal says its the "Right" turn signal. Is this diagram wrong?

It seems like terminal 58 (parking lights), according to the diagram, is the only terminal that is labeled using the word lights.

Thanks for you help,
Mark
DanT
You are right, I goofed. you need to use terminal #58 for the running lights. sorry.

My computer took a dump two times while I was trying to respond to your first enquiry so I looked at the diagram incorrectly...sorry again.
computers4kids
QUOTE(Dan (Almaden Valley) @ Oct 1 2006, 08:38 PM) *

you need to use terminal #58 for the running lights

Thanks Don...I'll give it a whirl tomorrow, that makes sense now.

That's quite a neat setup, very clean! I'm surprised that more owners don't go this route--you don't even have to cut your harness!
Mark
DanT
QUOTE(computers4kids @ Oct 1 2006, 08:58 PM) *

QUOTE(Dan (Almaden Valley) @ Oct 1 2006, 08:38 PM) *

you need to use terminal #58 for the running lights

Thanks Don...I'll give it a whirl tomorrow, that makes sense now.

That's quite a neat setup, very clean! I'm surprised that more owners don't go this route--you don't even have to cut your harness!
Mark

exactly.... dry.gif

so much for magnetic lights scratching my new paint sad.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.