Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rennshift install...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
BKLA
I installed a Rennshift shifter and it seems that I have a minor problem. I did a search for threads related to installs but nothing comes up with my concern.

Here is the issue. (late model side shift tranny)

Installed following directions. Centered shifter and pattern over neutral. Shifter moves off center towards first / reverse- no problem. Springs back to center - no problem. moves into second and third - no problem. Reverse lockout works great!

Now here's the problem shifter will not move off center to the right to go into 4/5.

Spring resistance to the left (1/r) in neutral. solid resistance to the right. Yes, i said SOLID. Can't move shifter off center to the right to go into 4/5.

Reverse lock out is on left as it should be.

Any thoughts? What am I missing? I couldn't find any adjustible stop for left right movement in neutral - only stops are for 2/4 side and 3/5 side.

this thing is beautifully engineered so I assume that it is the installer!
jasons
I don't have a rennshift (yet.. gonna order one this week me thinks), but.... I have been working on a broken clutch cable tube in my car this weekend. One of my concerns is getting the tube pushed over enough so the shifter doesn't hit it. This would be the 4 and 5 shift.

Could your clutch tube be an issue?
Dr Evil
You are probably adjusted so that in the 2/3 center plain you are actually selecting 4/5. That would explain why you have no other gears to go to. Thus, you are also selecting 2/3 in the 1/R position. Verify by trying to go in reverse (drive, not just select). If reverse is where it should be then you have something in the tunnel (as stated above) stopping your shifter travel.
So.Cal.914
Shot in the dark, try adjusting your linkage farther to the left. That would give

the rennshift'er the room to go for 4th-5th, but I would call the distributor

you got it from tomarrow.
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Oct 1 2006, 06:53 PM) *

You are probably adjusted so that in the 2/3 center plain you are actually selecting 4/5. That would explain why you have no other gears to go to. Thus, you are also selecting 2/3 in the 1/R position. Verify by trying to go in reverse (drive, not just select). If reverse is where it should be then you have something in the tunnel (as stated above) stopping your shifter travel.

thats what i was thinking... but a rennshmifter is pretty heavily sprung to the center...

OH.... like his bar was actually not it the neutral L R plane and was most likely offset to the right....

smart... very smart...

bkla... haynes lists a procedure.... access hole in the back of the tunnel... loosen the clamp at the shifter to bar joint... and rotate the bar a few splines left ......
Aaron Cox
or what is my favorite (neutral is too vague....)

loosen the bar to shifter joint....

get under the car. pop the tranny in second MANUALLY... (MIDDLE of updown movement at the dongle on the tranny) and BACK (towards the rear...)

now the tranny is in second...

with the shifter/bar joint still loose... put the Rennshifter in 2nd position (let the springs center it left to right) and push it straight forward...

tighten joint.

you should be 99 percent there
BKLA
Thanks All -

Pulled the shifter out and did the following:

1. Checked clutch cable in tunnel. Solid and no interference. smile.gif

2. checked clearence between nut/bolt of shift linkage attachment and left right movement of shifter - not hitting anything biggrin.gif

3. checked movement of shifter outside of tunnel - shifter moves to left no problem - but won't move right of centering spring. sad.gif (Does not compress left side springs when moving right. Right side compresses fine when moving left. dry.gif ) I am going to dismantle spring detents to see if something is catching or preventing shifter from moving right. huh.gif

4. Sent email to jwest describing my issue thumb3d.gif

5. Started looking for my hayes/clinton manuals (Where the hell did they get put before me moved!?!?!) unsure.gif

Thanks everyone w00t.gif
BKLA
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Oct 1 2006, 06:53 PM) *

Did this proceedure last night after we installed it. Had this exact condition - removed and reinstalled. (nice call - BTW thumb3d.gif )

Reinstalled trying something similar to what Aaron described. I am going to retry tomorrow evening with the tranny in second when my head is clearer and not so tired.

Thanks Guys!
JWest
E-mail sent.
scrz914
I don't know about RennShift, but with my stock setup I had problems with the bar hitting up against the heater lever bolts. This was not allowing shifting into 4th and 5th. I was in a hurry so I unbolted the heater lever. It was probably a linkage adjustment problem, but I ended up selling before I figured it out.
Aaron Cox
also.. any chance that you just added 4 point harnesses?

one of the eyebolts needs to be trimmed to stop it from touching the shifter bar
BKLA
QUOTE(Aaron Cox @ Oct 1 2006, 09:39 PM) *

also.. any chance that you just added 4 point harnesses?

one of the eyebolts needs to be trimmed to stop it from touching the shifter bar

Nope, no harness.

I placed a little dab of grease on the left side bolt head to see if it was hitting the clutch tube. Nope, no grease on clutch tube. (The tube should be tight to the left side of the tunnel, correct?)

While the shifter was out I tried pressing the clutch pedal while holding (touching) the clutch tube to see if there was any movement on the tube. Feels solid so I don't think thats it.

I will check to see if there is interference with the heater lever.

I also received a very quick response from Jwest engineering with a couple of suggestions.

I'll try those this evening.

BTW - the Rennshift and the blade fuse products from JWest Engineering are TOP NOTCH. Don't let my inept mechanical and diagnostic skills, in any way, disparage this wonderful and well engineered product. thumb3d.gif thumb3d.gif

I just need to "futz" with it some more!
Heeltoe914
At the point where the Rennshift attaches to the cuopling that has the 13mm, are you sure you put the bolt with the two bress washer with the head towards driver? VERY IMPORTANT or it will provent movement.

I put trans and Rennshift in third and used a crowsfoot 13mm. I was 90% done.
BKLA
piratenanner.gif SUCCESS!

Got it all adjusted. Damn that thing is nice! (Thanks to JWest and the "nonclub" for the heads up on the adjustments!!!)

This is what I did -

1. Placed single washer each bolt below mounting bracket.

2. adjusted splines(one or two - unsure exactly how many) to left side. Moved shifter to right about a 1/4" before tightening linkage bolt.

3. Checked movement of left side springs - cleaned up white paint on springs and used some red grease from the reverse lockout on left springs. moved freely within spring retainer afterward.

Took the car for a quick spin and finalized the movement stops. thumb3d.gif

This is the single best improvement that someone can do to thier car!!! IMHO
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.