Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: I think I need a 1st gear slider
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Gary
Pulled the tranny yesterday to get at a leaking flywheel seal. Decided to pull the back cover to address my hard-to-get-into-1st issue. Dog teeth look OK. Synchro has a little bit of a wear band around the circumference. Don't mind springing for a $65 synchro band, but swallow hard at the $500 slider - especially since I need a new -6 flywheel and pressure plate.

Anyone smart about sliders enough to look at these pictures? If bugered, anyone have a good 1st gear slider for reasonable?

Gary
'nuther
Bartlett 914
I am curious to hear what the experts say about this one. My guess is that is is O.K. How was was the shifting before you took it down?

I just finished doing some work on my shifter. I had a little grinding (more bumping of the dog teeth) and occasional real grinding up shifting into 2od. I found the bushing at the transmission was sloppy. The bushing was good but the hole in the plate was ovaled. I boared it out and made a brass bushing to fit. I changed my oil using with valvoline 85-140 gl5. This stopped most of my shifting problems.

Mark
Dr Evil
I have better used ones than that. I also can get you a new slider for much less than $500 (PM for details). If it was grinding (and everything else was in good repair as stated over and over in other threads), it is done.

Sorry sad.gif
Gary
Had a tough time getting into first when at a standstill. No grinding, though. Talked about it here.
Dr Evil
What do the dog teeth look like?
Gary
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Oct 1 2006, 07:34 PM) *

What do the dog teeth look like?

Not bad:

Gary
but you can see a little bit of wear on the synchro band. Again, not sure how much is too much.
TROJANMAN
that's too much sad.gif

i'll see if i can dig up my 1st gear thread
T H O M A S
dog and syncro are bad,slider is soso sad.gif
TROJANMAN
here is my thread

i couldn't even get it to shift into first

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?show...c=52310&hl=
thanks to evil for his parts and help smile.gif
JoeSharp
Correct surfaceing of the sycro and the slider
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
What it should look like
:PERMAGRIN: Joe
Dr Evil
Ooooo, pretty biggrin.gif

thumb3d.gif nice pics, Joe smoke.gif
Gary
Happy turkey day!

Okay - so the rest of the story...

Today I re-replaced the bushing at the transmission console with a brass bushing from PMS. I could tell the tolerances were MUCH closer, as the bushing has to be pushed into the console after the shifter rod is allen screwed into place. Before I could push the rod through the plastic bushing, secure the allen screw at the tranny, then attach the rod at the firewall with its allen screw.

Voila! Goes into first every time even at a stop. Really tightened up the shifting to where it's a pleasure to shift. So I'm out a new first gear synchro, a used slider from Dr E., and 4 quarts of Swepco. Chalk it up to reasonable maintenance.

Only gotchas with the brass bushing is the hole in the transmission console needs to be reamed to 0.850 inches (size G reamer used from ebay), and the front of the console needed to be ground down slightly to allow the bushing to sit flush. With the plastic bushing there was so much slop that you wouldn't even know...

Anyway - one more data point for folks trying to get the precision of their shifters dialed in.

Back to your regularly scheduled food coma...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.