Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How to adjust headlites?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dhopkins
One of my headlites does not lay flat nor seem to open completely. I tried to adjust it by turning a set screw and nut sticking out horizontally in the back. This didn't seem to do much. Do I need to adjust the motor itself somehow? Thanks.

don jsharp.gif jsharp.gif
mihai914
Hi Don, the slotted bolt you played with is the headlight stop, you adjust it so that when the headlight is fully open the tab will contact the head of the bolt in order to minimize the jumping around of the whole assembly.

The part where the headlight doesn't lay flat is probably caused by the fact that the mechanism is off a little. If it does lay flat at some point where the motor is turning then you need to unscrew the arm that attaches to the motor (10mm bolt) and then reposition the whole mechanism to a point where you are happy.

If it's not flat because the pivot points near the hood are too high up then you just need to unscrew the allen bolts in the trunk and in the fender and align those.

I think it's better to work on the mechanism or pivots first and then worry about the stop.

Hope this helps.
SGB
QUOTE(mihai914 @ Oct 1 2006, 09:26 PM) *

The part where the headlight doesn't lay flat is probably caused by the fact that the mechanism is off a little. If it does lay flat at some point where the motor is turning then you need to unscrew the arm that attaches to the motor (10mm bolt) and then reposition the whole mechanism to a point where you are happy.

Hope this helps.

I loosen the three allen screws holding the motor assembly and slide the whole deal around until thing line up. Then some tweaking on the inner pivot that is held with three allens, and the outer pivot held by two allen heads inside the fendr behind the turn signal assembly.
I've finally got them pretty straight, but the flat profile will never perfectly match the slight curve at the front.
jonwatts
Here's a thread by our SirAndy on adjusting headlights:
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act=...f=2&t=45959

Scott, those look really good. Ever notice how most older miata headlights don't meet the hood?

Click to view attachment
SirAndy
QUOTE(jonwatts @ Oct 2 2006, 08:19 AM) *

Here's a thread by our SirAndy on adjusting headlights:
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act=...f=2&t=45959

i was looking for that one .. biggrin.gif

as always, the "search" is your friend!
piratenanner.gif Andy
jonwatts
I have your thread bookmarked in my blog since the search is often a difficult friend.

Any chance we could integrate a 914club google search like I've seen on some sites?
SirAndy
QUOTE(jonwatts @ Oct 2 2006, 09:14 AM) *

I have your thread bookmarked in my blog since the search is often a difficult friend.

Any chance we could integrate a 914club google search like I've seen on some sites?

yepp, there certainly is a chance ...
biggrin.gif Andy
dhopkins
Thanks for all the help. The problem is fixed.

Don
----------------------------------------------------
1969 911S
1976 914
1981 911SC
Eric_Shea

Cost us $50k for GSA but it sure is awesome.
mihai914
I thought the search function sucked also until I took 2 minutes to read the Advanced Usage Help. idea.gif
jonwatts
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Oct 2 2006, 01:59 PM) *

Cost us $50k for GSA but it sure is awesome.

As with most things I try the cheapest version first, in this case 'free'

http://www.google.com/faq_freewebsearch.html#site1

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.