Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Find an oil leak
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
zen motorcycle
I replaced all the seals I could get to without droppin the engine this weekend as far as oil movement is concerend. But I still have a fairly major leak somewhere around the oil cooler area. It is bone dry when I park, but as soon as I get some oil movement it starts to become a smoke machine really good for Halloween, not so good for daily driving. The PO had just the HE tubes running without shrouds so I think that I always had this leak, just nothing for it to fall onto. I do notice a drip that hangs off of my oil filter and also one on the push rod tubes. I thought those were coming from the oil cooler leaking. I guess not or I installed the seals wrong?!?!

What else is on the left side of the engine that would leak over the oil cooler area and do you have any suggestions on how to trace an oil leak tha only seems to happen with the car running. I am not a big fan of lying under a running engine with Hot oil coming out smile.gif

I am fairly certain it is not the oil pump since the fron of the engine appears dry. The motor appears to have been rebuilt at some point I believe.

Thanks

73 2.0 Stock Djet FI
SSI He's (just added)
SGB
I get lotsa rustproofing from my leaky front main seal- at least I'm calling it that. The one at the cooling fan. Supposedly, this can be replaced engine-in, but I just keep putting it off until the next drop.
jim912928
Mine does the same thing..nothing when still but while running it get's oil all over the passenger side heat exchanger. It looks like it's coming from behind the cooler but it isn't. There is one of those oil/galley/block plugs on that side of the engine that can leak fairly well as you describe. I've narrowed mine down to this. Other areas to check first though:

1. oil cooler seals (can be changed with the engine in the car, but a royal pain in the butt)
2. oil pressure sender (you can see it from the top side of the engine)

Jim
URY914
You said left side of the engine? You mean the passenger side?

I would check that those new pushrod tube seals are seated properly. Try to rotate the tubes so the seals "seat" in the case. You can take a pair of Channel Locks and lightly grab on to the tube and rotate it. Be carefull.

Also the oil pressure sender will leak and run down the case next to the oil cooler.

When the car is moving, the smallest amount of oil will be blown all over the engine and it appears to be worse than it is.

Happy Hunting smile.gif
plas76targa
I have the same problem. Except I've replaced the oil cooler seals and on restart the car blew oil out all over my drive way. I have cleaned as much as I can with the engine in the car and will be cranking it over to see if I can "See" where it's coming from. Let us know what you find and I'll do the same!
zen motorcycle
You can replace the push rod tube seals with the engine in? I thought you had to drop it to do that. Time to go reading again. blink.gif

I replaced the oil cooler seals this weekend as well and yeah it sucked.

Will check the plug galley and oil pressure sender when I get back on Wednesday.

Thanks
bd1308
Also, check your oil pressure sending unit.

I was scratching my head trying to find where my two quart a day leak was coming from, until I looked at the sending unit and found that the plastic piece and the metal piece seperated and oil was not gushing, but flowing out of that union.

Check that.

edit: not a visual seperation, just enough to allow oil to flow through
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.