Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: kyb shocks
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
nycchef
replacing shocks all around, looking at kyb-gr-2 gas adjustable. fronts model # 361004, rears kg9003, do not race or auto cross, just street driving 73 1.7 soon to be a stock 2.0 o.k guys let me have it ar15.gif
Mueller
KYB's have tendancy of being too harsh and not lasting as long as other shocks.

Stock Boge replacements might be a better choice for you...Pelican has them, you might try Vertex Auto as well.

Mark Henry
KYB= Kill Your Back

I also like the adjustable perch of the bil's or koni's.
914Sixer
Yep, Kill Your Butt!!
TROJANMAN
i don't know the price differences in all of the brands, but if it's all you can afford............dry.gif
try posting a WTB for some used Koni's or something
ptravnic
The KYB's are not adjustable. I havn't had an probs w/them.

-pt
Lou W
There are some used Bilsteins, how used I'm not sure, on e-bay, that you might want to consider if costs is your concern.
So.Cal.914
I have been running KYB's for about six years and yes I know they are stiff, they

do the job they are designed for. And the price was right, at the time it was what

I could afford.
grantsfo
If you plan on keeping the car for more than a year buy some decent Boge, Koni's or Bilsteins. KYB's are truly junk.
Trekkor
I put them in my first 914 over ten years ago and liked them.

I wonder if they've changed their "recipe" since then. chowtime.gif

KT
Mueller
for $50 a corner including shipping (I saw your eBay posting smile.gif ) that is a good price...depending on the size tires you have, the extra harshness of the KYB's might not be too big of deal.....
nycchef
QUOTE(Mueller @ Oct 2 2006, 11:03 AM) *

for $50 a corner including shipping (I saw your eBay posting smile.gif ) that is a good price...depending on the size tires you have, the extra harshness of the KYB's might not be too big of deal.....

running 205/55 yokohama's. noticed them starting to rub on the top of my fenders so it's time for a change. money is definetly an issue right now.
Scott S
GR-2's are fine as a stock replacement - they are just your typical low pressure gas replacement shock, no better or worse that what you can pick up at any Midas or FLAPS.

The Gas-A-Just is the scary one. High pressure gas, stiff enough to actuallty raise the ride height on some lighter cars (lifted my GTI a good 2" in the rear). The piston cannot move quick enough to handle things like wash board bumps and they have been known to blow seals fairly regularly.

KYB used to make an externally adjustable shock and strut - don't know anything about them.
Dr Evil
I have brand new KYBs on my car....they make great substitute jack stands dry.gif
If you wanna by my rears I amy be in the market to sell as I have some Boge and a drooley set of Konis to go in their place.
914-8
QUOTE(Scott Schroeder @ Oct 2 2006, 01:29 PM) *

The Gas-A-Just is the scary one. High pressure gas, stiff enough to actuallty raise the ride height on some lighter cars (lifted my GTI a good 2" in the rear). The piston cannot move quick enough to handle things like wash board bumps and they have been known to blow seals fairly regularly.

KYB used to make an externally adjustable shock and strut - don't know anything about them.

+1.

I don't know about other styles of KYBs, but I have had the Gas-A-Justs on a 914, Scirocco and 318i, and have had those same experiences. On the Scirocco and 318, they raised the car to rally height!

They provided the undesirable combo of terrible ride and bad handling.

And they all blew seals at one point, on at least one corner of the cars.

nycchef

They provided the undesirable combo of terrible ride and bad handling.

And they all blew seals at one point, on at least one corner of the cars.
[/quote]

o.k gang the nays have it. on to other ideas. thanks all for the input,
jhadler
Aw darn!! I missed out on the KYB bash-a-thon!!!

Yeah, the KYB gas-ajust shocks suck. Had 'em on the 914 when I bought it, they were lousy. Even worse on scalloped roads or freeways.

The KYB AGX is a decent adjustable shock, but they too are REALLY stiff.

Boge, Bilstien, Koni, in ascending order...

-Josh2
914werke
they are FABULOUS! Oh and Ill sell you a (bare) R. pair Cheap! smile.gif
pfierb
The PO put KYBs on my car front and rear.....they are the worst stiff as a board thank God I don't have false teeth...can't wait to get rid of them.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.