Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Texas License Inspection
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Grelber
Ok, my car is more than 20 years old, so it doesn't have to have the emissions testing. So, I take the teener to the testing place............it flunks because there is a 1/8 inch hole in the tail light lense that "might emit white light". Get that fixed,(epoxy), go back...........the parking brake "doesn't hold ENOUGH". (it holds well enough to stall the car out). Get that adjusted. Now I'm ready to go.............it flunks because the little light on the dash in the tach that signals whether or not your high beams are on doesn't work............... dry.gif

dagdal1967
QUOTE(Grelber @ Oct 2 2006, 01:09 PM) *

Ok, my car is more than 20 years old, so it doesn't have to have the emissions testing. So, I take the teener to the testing place............it flunks because there is a 1/8 inch hole in the tail light lense that "might emit white light". Get that fixed,(epoxy), go back...........the parking brake "doesn't hold ENOUGH". (it holds well enough to stall the car out). Get that adjusted. Now I'm ready to go.............it flunks because the little light on the dash in the tach that signals whether or not your high beams are on doesn't work............... dry.gif

Welcome to Texas!!!!

Where are you based? I have a pretty tame garage near my house, the garage manager of which is a VW guy and loves 914's.... He's a little less picky than the average guy, but will be honest with you when something is UNSAFE.

Doug
zen motorcycle
Very IMPORTANT in Texas

Find a local garage. Not a chain

tell them you need an Inspection STICKER

not an inspection

if its the right garage you drive out 5 minutes later
beerchug.gif
DBCooper
Absolutely. Find yourself a friendlier inspection station. Ask around people who have older cars, will be quick and easy as long as the lights, horn and brakes work.
Grelber
The place I went to was a local oil change place. (not a chain). Luckily they didn't charge me for the original inspections(s), like they are supposed to. I told them I just wanted my sticker. I've been in Texas for 20+ years, and have gotten inspections on several older cars (like a 1967 Ford Ranchero) with no problems.

I'll have to check around for a better place.

thomasotten
I had a place tell me that my blue high beam light wasn't bright enough. You could only see it at night, of course, but that didn't matter to him. I then hot-wired an auxiliary blue light and taped it to the dash, and then they didn't like that because it wasn't the original. I always hated getting inspections, I mean, it is hard enough to tell people how to drive your car with the gearing, and they usually scratch the gears. Once, at Pep Boys they wanted to put my car on a lift for the inspection. I asked why, and they said they had to check everything. I told them give me my keys, I am not letting anyone put my car on a lift. Just find another place.
Bryho
I am in Frisco and in the same boat.
In process of getting my lights, parking brake, and horn working.
Didn't think about the highbeams indicator.
Thanks for the heads up. I will make sure that works before going down for my ass wipping.
If you find a good place let me know and I will do the same. We aren't too far away from each other.
dakotaewing
I work in Frisco as well -
Went to the local Goodyear to get the yearly sticker for the Toyota...
They failed the car based on the altenator belt... Their cost - $78.00
Took about 15 minutes of my time and $8 for the belt -

Like someone has already said - Stay away from the chains...
LowGT
QUOTE(Grelber @ Oct 2 2006, 04:09 PM) *

it flunks because the little light on the dash in the tach that signals whether or not your high beams are on doesn't work............... dry.gif

Mine failed for that too, but they asked me if I wanted them to continue the inspections so I'd know if anything else needed to be replaced.

After the inspection it developed the "leak 1 quart of oil per mile" disease and I haven't been back yet.
When I lived in Texas I lived in a rural part southeast of Austin. We only had to deal with the safety inspection. I hear now even they are getting the emissions testing. That stuff is stupid. Vehicle exhaust is only a tiny part of the airborne pollution problem. I moved to Washington, and here there is no such thing as inspection and emission in my part of the state. Just $45 a year and you can register a car with busted lights, four bald tires, no exhaust, and no brakes. Seriously. I think Seattle tests for emissions like every other year for certain vehicles.

Political content removed......
Joe Bob
Don't all youse guys in Tejas carry guns?
Living down there I almost started killing people. I had a H&K under my shirt, and an axe handle behind the seat. I had to move to Washington....laid back and less stressful. I lived in Texas 24 years. It is no longer the same place. I visit and get lost.
Series9
Hey newbie,

Racism isn't welcome here. Perhaps you would like to rephrase your 'Mexican' comments.

We'll give you a second chance, but choose your words carefully.
Joe Bob
QUOTE(521401 @ Oct 2 2006, 08:55 PM) *

Living down there I almost started killing people. I had a H&K under my shirt, and an axe handle behind the seat. I had to move to Washington....laid back and less stressful. I lived in Texas 24 years. It is no longer the same place. I visit and get lost.

You'll fit in here....just no racism, politics or religion..... confused24.gif
DBCooper
QUOTE(mikez @ Oct 2 2006, 07:51 PM) *

Don't all youse guys in Tejas carry guns?

Yes, of course. But since everybody's got one the result is that everybody's very nice, polite and civilized.... until they aren't any more. Then things go binary, on or off, polite or full-on, not much middle ground.

I can't believe anybody got failed for a high beam indiator that's not bright enough. If they're that anal, or criminal, after you brighten up the light they'll just find something else. So don't give those people your business, any of your business, for anything at any level, because they're thieves or idiots. GO FIND ANOTHER INSPECTION STATION. Talk to some other vintage car people, they'll help. Lots easier than dancing the Stupid jig those people are trying to make you do.
MBowman325
QUOTE(Paul Illick @ Oct 3 2006, 01:18 AM) *

GO FIND ANOTHER INSPECTION STATION.

Bingo! I sometimes get desperate and goto a Shell station in town that's open on Saturdays. They've failed me for: dented cat, only having four of five lug nuts on a wheel, and having one parking light out. They are NOT susposed to charge if you fail though, unless that's another new law...

Always goto independents for inspections. Unless there's been a crackdown on inspection techs for passing cars that REALLY shouldn't have been passed, then you'll be better off. Whenever I can, I take mine over to a little town our main bank resides in and have them do it. Quick, clean and simple with no BS.

Some cross posting here on tagging a new vehicle in texas that appearently started last week though:

http://www.montecarloss.com/ubb/ultimatebb...ic;f=2;t=007085
thomasotten
Newbie said "too many mexicans". I didn't interpret that as a racist comment because I read that phrase as refering to mexicans - people from Mexico.

Political content removed....
DBCooper
QUOTE(thomasotten @ Oct 3 2006, 04:52 AM) *

The term "mexican" is not a bad word.

Nor is the term "blacks", or "Jews", or "Polacks" or whatever. But saying "too many blacks" or "too many Jews" turns it into a pejorative. There's no need for that here, or anywhere else for that matter.
Robert21
flipa.gif Glad your in Seattle we don,t need people like you in Calif .
Have a great life .

Robert 21
michaelt55
well, I am inspecting mine after I get the horn fixed, then I will tell you how much fun it is here in Katy Texas. I also have a kit car with a type 4 so I learn with each experience.

Michael
Grelber
Well, I didn't start this thread for people to bash Texas, or ethnicities, but it seems to have gotten to that. But to get back on topic:

[color=#FF0000]I PASSED INSPECTION!![/color] piratenanner.gif

After pulling the tach, I found that the light did work (but dimmly). A new bulb wasn't enough. Come to find out that the blue lense was faded and fogged, so the light couldn't be seen. Nothing seemed to help clean it, so to the rescue, Wes! (our local 914 guru). He switched the high beam wire over to the parking light indicator in the speedo, and viola, a light that works, can be seen, and I passed!

YeeeHaaaaa

Thack
What is the value for a 914 in the NADA guide? Reasonable I hope. I still have to register mine. You can always apply for a title and not register it for the street. That eliminates inspections and insurance requirements. We do it for racing bikes and cars you know you are going to sell .
Thack
Update. Vehicles older than 25 years are exempt. That means any 914 made is exempt from the 80% value tax.

http://www.txdot.gov/services/vehicle_titl...ptive_value.htm
ClayPerrine
I had to edit 2 comments here for political content.....

Keep it up and .....

post-2-1137106233.gif

BTW.. the place here that does my inspections has been doing them for 3 years. I roll up in a 914, he checks my insurance card, honks the horn, and puts a sticker on.

I used to do inspections...if they fail you because the alternator belt is frayed, call the inspection supervisor. The alternator belt is NOT one of the items inspected.

David_S
I guess I shouldn't mention that I am certified for inspections ! Take a road trip and bring them up here to me and I will be easy on ya !!!!
LowGT
QUOTE(David_S @ Oct 4 2006, 10:46 PM) *

I guess I shouldn't mention that I am certified for inspections ! Take a road trip and bring them up here to me and I will be easy on ya !!!!

I have a question for you then, when I went to the DPS they told me I would have to take my teener to an inspection station in the county I reside in. (Car has Oklahoma title, need to transfer to Texas and get my plates.) However, when I renewed my daily driver I took it to a different county and it didn't matter?

So do I need to inspect it in my county since it's out of state, or are they just blowing smoke?
MJHanna
They just want to make sure its Emission checked, if your county has that requirement..... For instance as Dallas and Collin county both require emission testing they don't care and still stick you for a higher cost to get the car inspected. As 914's are to old to require emission its a mute point. And the DPS is thinking you have a more current car thus the "pat answer" sheeplove.gif
Grelber
The whole inspection only cost $12.50. They didn't charge the "emissions" part, even tho it was Collin County.
David_S
I agree with what MJHanna said......probably told you that just for the emissions testing. It doesn't really matter where it is inspected or where you live, but if it has to pass emissions, it has to be inspected at an emissions certified shop. If the vehicle is currently titled out of state, it has to be inspected and the "green slip" issued before you can register it.
Grelber
By "Green Slip" do you mean emissions test? My car is from Calif. and they just did the $12.50 safety inspection (and did, and did, and did).
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(Grelber @ Oct 5 2006, 02:22 PM) *

By "Green Slip" do you mean emissions test? My car is from Calif. and they just did the $12.50 safety inspection (and did, and did, and did).

The "Green Slip" is the out of state inspection verification form. You have to have it before you go to register your car.

Grelber
If the Green Slip is white, I guess I had one. Otherwise, didn't. Anyway, got my title transfer and tags/plates.
David_S
QUOTE(Grelber @ Oct 5 2006, 02:27 PM) *

If the Green Slip is white, I guess I had one. Otherwise, didn't. Anyway, got my title transfer and tags/plates.

"Green slip" is now white. It has been white for only a short time. Basically says that the car is safe to drive and the VIN number of the car matches the title. If you got the tags, everything is done !
srthompson01
Move to Oklahoma.

Inspection consists of insurance verification.

My tag and title cost me 63 bucks transferred from another state.

And it's close enough to Texas you can visit when you are in fear of being bored to death.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.