Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT-Honda related
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Tobra
I know this is Porsche country, but...Took the car(5 speed integra GSR) into the stealership to get the steering rack boots replaced. After I got it back, it made strange noise at low speeds, rythmic, almost like something was hitting on something else, sort of a clunk, clunk. At first only when it was cold, now more constant. Put the front wheels in the air, and can turn them easily without the motor turning over. Clutch does not appear to be slipping when driving, but I am pretty gentle. Yes it was a bad experience at the dealer, and I noticed some black dust on the car that they "washed" for me

Did they blow up my tranny or just burn out my clutch? The car has been compulsively maintained, tranny fuid etc. Will check if clutch is slipping next, any thoughts? Aside from never go to that dealership again.
Dave_Darling
Did you check/fill the trans fluid with the nose of the car up in the air, for clearance? If you do that, you will wind up with an underfilled trans, which will cause the input shaft bearing to eat itself. sad.gif

Does the noise slow down and stop when you push the clutch pedal in? Does it happen at idle? Only when moving? Figuring out exactly when it is happening, and then figuring out what is moving only at that time, will give you some idea of where the noise is coming from. Figuring out what the noise "keeps time with" (e.g., Does it go faster when the engine RPMs go up, even if the road speed does not? Or does it speed up with road speed and not engine RPM? Or ??) will also point you in the direction of some components.

--DD
Tobra
Noise turned out to be the evaporative emmission cannister bouncing around on the driveshaft, nice. It is a vent off the fuel system. They bent the little tab back and cracked this little plastic doodad that slides into a little holder mounted on the firewall for it when they dropped the steering rack. I did not want to buy a tool that I would use once, and I don't have an alignment rack at the house, though I suppose you can get it pretty close with some pretty primitive stuff. Serves me right for letting someown else work on my car mad.gif headbang.gif

always sit the car flat when I fill oil or tranny, really for every car I ever had

Here is the letter I wrote him, will hand deliver it to the dealership on my letterhead, will have to change the date, sending the owner of the dealership this at his house

September 29, 2006

Larry Reuter
Service Manager
Niello Acura

Dear Mr. Reuter,

I am writing this regarding repairs I recently had done at your shop. I called on Thursday the 15th of September to set up an appointment for the following week. I needed to have a boot replaced on the steering rack of my Integra, and thought it would be best if I called, to be certain the necessary parts would be available so the repair could be completed in one day. I was told the parts were in stock, and made an appointment for the morning of September 19th. I brought the car in, and got a lift to my home in your shuttle, which was very convenient by the way. I got a note that Chris had called from Niello about my car, no number, no message. I called several times, but could only wait on hold for 5-10 minutes the first few times, so I did not speak to him. I finally got through late in the day, and was told that the oil pan was leaking and could be repaired for a few hundred dollars, he also told me that the bushings in the rear trailing arm were cracked, and could be repaired for something like $1200. I declined both these repairs. He then advised me the car would not be done today, because the parts would not arrive until that evening. He had called all the Acura and Honda dealers in the area, and no one had it. I was a bit taken aback by this, as I had been told that the parts were in stock, and suggested that the boots for a Civic would probably be the same. He said they were similar, but not the same. He offered to give me a loaner car for my inconvenience, which would actually have increased my inconvenience. I ended up picking the car up Wednesday the 21st, during lunch. The repairs were completed on the 20th, but it was not possible for me to pick the car up, I was busy during the day and had a meeting that evening, which is why I took the car in on Monday, rather than Tuesday. I noted on the invoice that the battery had failed a load test, which I presume indicates I need a new battery, which was never mentioned by anyone I spoke to, and that the car was washed, a value of $14.95 that was complimentary with the service. I was angry, frustrated and did not have the time to discuss the problem with the repairs, or why the car was dirtier inside and out than it was when I dropped it off to be repaired.

I have a suggestion or two and a few questions. I would recommend that your tech either wash his hands before getting into a customer’s car, or at the very least, wipe the grease off the door, the hood, the seat and steering wheel before handing the keys to the person picking up the car. You may also want to advise them that the evaporative emission control canister is right above the steering rack and they might damage it if they are not careful. They might even damage it enough that the area that slides into the clip and secures it will be cracked and the tab that holds it in place will be bent back, allowing the canister to bounce off the right drive shaft like it did on my car and make a disconcerting noise when the car is in motion. Fortunately, this prompted me to closely inspect the car. When I picked up the car, it was covered in a fine black dust, which I thought was odd, because your man told me the car had been washed. I attributed this to your proximity to the freeway initially, but then I put the car up on jack stands. The clutch has begun to slip enough that I can turn the tires with the car in gear very easily and the motor does not turn over. I am certain this was not the case when I dropped it off, as I just replaced the brakes a few weeks ago and could not do this then. Do you suppose these two things are related?

I also am curious why you put a car on a lift at all when you don’t have the parts to complete the repair. I applaud your employees for noticing that the trailing arm bushing is cracked, but I noticed that myself the last time I rotated the tires and replaced the brakes, when I noticed the cracked boot on the steering rack. It seems to me that having the evap canister loose and bouncing around is more of a risk than dried oil on the oil pan. I realize that burning oil on the exhaust manifold can make an unpleasant smell, but unpleasant smell and explosive fumes are two different things entirely. When I was a little kid, I learned that it is best to have the parts to finish a job in hand before you start the job, clearly not something your techs appreciate. I was also taught as a child that when you leave a message for someone, you leave your name, your phone number and why you are calling.

I look forward to hearing from you regarding this letter.

Tobin C. Gallawa D.P.M., F.A.C.F.A.S.

cc Roger Niello
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.