Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Denver to Ouray, CO
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
seanery
I'm considering a road trip next Monday or Tuesday from Denver to Ouray (my favorite little town in the world!).

Is anyone interested? I would probably want to leave Denver (Aurora) about 6:30 or 7:00am. Mapquest says it's about 5 1/2 hours each way - so it would be a full, long day.

I've been told that I can take our rental Caravan, so I can probably fit a couple people in.
GeorgeRud
Can't join you, but if you're going there, consider taking the million dollar highway from Ouray to Durango(the Silverton narrow guage railroad is also a treat) as well. Spend a night there, then drive back past the Mesa Verde, to Cortez, then up to Telluride and back from there. I've taken that trip and the scenery is amazing.

If you want to stay in Ouray, the Twin Peaks Hotel is nicely named and has a Swiss feel to it!

Enjoy the drive either way!
JeffBowlsby
Shawn are you going to see the Olsen Sixer?
seanery
Olsen Sixer? is it in Ouray?

Ouray has been one of my favorite towns since I was first there when I was 15. I try to go back anytime I'm in Colorado. We have a couple days off, so I thought about a daytrip.

This should be a great time of year for the drive.
draperjojo
We rode the Harley there a month ago. It was a nice ride!!
TROJANMAN
sean,
if you decide to stay close to town, i can take some time off and take you 4 wheeling in my jeep. There are some very scenic roads we can take nearby. Let me know soon, so i can try and set something up with my jeep club.
also, there are two different track events this weekend: a PCA DE and an open track day in Golden on Saturday.
seanery
Greg, the weekends are shot. We do six shows Sat/Sun...but have Monday & Tuesday off next week.

I'll let you know if I decide not to trek so far out smile.gif
JeffBowlsby
Yep. There is a guy in Ouray that has told me he has a pristine 6 FS and he also has an excellent Creamsicle. Long time PCA member.
TROJANMAN
i can probably take monday off, or a half day tuesday and take you up some peaks. do you fly fish?

seanery
I'm not really into fishing...I get bored, sorry. smile.gif
Series9
Luck and I are leaving to pick up her car from Boulder on Monday.

Ouray would be a significant detour, but it sounds like fun. Overnight?
Gint
QUOTE(Moron Sean @ Oct 2 2006, 06:36 PM) *

I'm considering a road trip next Monday or Tuesday from Denver to Ouray (my favorite little town in the world!).

Is anyone interested? I would probably want to leave Denver (Aurora) about 6:30 or 7:00am. Mapquest says it's about 5 1/2 hours each way - so it would be a full, long day.

I've been told that I can take our rental Caravan, so I can probably fit a couple people in.

I don't have any play time on the weekdays anymore Sean. I can do dinner or something, but weekday daytrips are out for me. Sorry. Sounds like a cool trip, BTDT. Some cool old hotels in Silverton.
seanery
I hadn't really put too much thought into an overnight trip, but it may be doable. I'll have to check with the other guys on my crew - one of the guys' girlfriend is coming up and renting a car, but the other guy would be without wheels for 2 days - I need to see how dicky of a move it would be to take it for 2 days wink.gif
Scott S
Man-o-man... that is a haul! Which way are you going?

I did my undergrad in Durango, so we ran around Silverton, Ouray and "To Hell You Ride" alot. It's a great area. I remember the "stress" of adding/dropping classes so we could ski on every Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday and Sunday (which also meant drinking every Monday, Wednesday and Friday nights drunk.gif )

Colors should still be good.

What do you mean when you say you have "shows"? Are you a player?
seanery
I'd be going 285 to 50 to 550...I enjoy the drive on 50 A LOT!!! I've done that one many times - including a hair raising experience in 2001 in a late spring (May) snow storm where I spun the 944 turbo 3 times go up to Gunnison Pass...I had to turn around and find another route it was so bad...but boy did I have a great time!!

Scott, I'm working for Ringling Bros & Barnum and Bailey Circus as the video engineer.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.