Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: headleak.... ways to go about it
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Aaron Cox
hey all...

sounds like my 2.0 hot rod.... has a little "chuffing" out of one cylinder out what i believe is the bottom...

not an exhaust leak... but a select cylinder (i think the forward one on pass side) "chuffs" at idle.... but cant hear it when warm and running...

should i just try to retorque it? pull the heads and lap em?

unfortunately - i built this motor before i knew about 96's and taking out headgaskets.....

so what should i do...

i guess a quick retorque is a "free" check... but i doubt that will cover it
So.Cal.914
Good place to start.
Twystd1
Let's pull the engine, sheet metal and head. Then see what we have.

It would help to look at the sealing surfaces so we klnow whasss up.

I would be afraid to simply torque the heads. As we don't know the condition of the threads and the nuts, or the washers for that matter. If there is any crusty stuff ANY of these parts. WE CANNOT get an accurate torque value. NOT EVEN CLOSE. Then you are back to where you started. Or maybe worse.!!!!!!!!!!

When ya want me to show up at your house to do this??

You and me bro, And maybe we can get Skline to show up so I am not the only old fart at your crib. I am sure you will get help for this if you ask.

Primarily because you are so dam selfish and never help anybody. biggrin.gif

You name the date. I check my calendar. We geter done.

If ya need a head surfacing thang. I can get it done in a day or two.

AND we can check your rings, etc......

As I am writing this. I was thinking. (God help us, for I know not what I think)

We could hook up a leak down tester to your engine and define the cylinder pretty easily. This assumes it leaks when cold. I think my leak down is at Sklines. Or it got stolen with the stuff from last year. I furget.

Either way. I'm down to help. drunk.gif

C
Mueller
QUOTE(Aaron Cox @ Oct 2 2006, 08:25 PM) *

hey all...

sounds like my 2.0 hot rod.... has a little "chuffing" out of one cylinder out what i believe is the bottom...

not an exhaust leak... but a select cylinder (i think the forward one on pass side) "chuffs" at idle.... but cant hear it when warm and running...

should i just try to retorque it? pull the heads and lap em?

unfortunately - i built this motor before i knew about 96's and taking out headgaskets.....

so what should i do...

i guess a quick retorque is a "free" check... but i doubt that will cover it

just bust out the silver solder and braze the heads and cylinders together wink.gif welder.gif

good luck...bummer to hear this....
Twystd1
just bust out the silver solder and braze the heads and cylinders together wink.gif welder.gif

Thats dumb. We all know the Jake trick. You stuff the leak with Dental Floss and milk of magnesia. Duh.....

What were ya thinking Mike? alfred.gif

beerchug.gif beerchug.gif
C
Mark Henry
If it squeaks… it must be a head leak.
(Best Johnnie Cochran impersonation)

Pull the heads and chuck those gaskets.
Joe Bob
If it was a sixer...I'd say pulled studs.
Aaron Cox
a grim outlook indeed smile.gif

good thing i have a DD too....

sounds like a 3 day weekend gig....

hear it at joes on sat..

clayton -
when is your goofy ass gonna call me back...?

AA
jk76.914
When I built mine, I used the gaskets under the cylinders. When I was done, I had one left over. I could see the edge of a gasket under each barrel, so I took it all apart to make sure there weren't two under one. They are thin and they stick together and I had 5 in my gasket set. It would be very easy to put two under one barrel, and really really screw up the registration in the head, especially if you have an extra one in the stack, as I did.
Bleyseng
QUOTE(jk76.914 @ Oct 3 2006, 04:35 AM) *

When I built mine, I used the gaskets under the cylinders. When I was done, I had one left over. I could see the edge of a gasket under each barrel, so I took it all apart to make sure there weren't two under one. They are thin and they stick together and I had 5 in my gasket set. It would be very easy to put two under one barrel, and really really screw up the registration in the head, especially if you have an extra one in the stack, as I did.

There are two places that shims are supplied in a gasket set. One set is for between the cylinders to case and between the cylinders and heads. Don't use the head shims just lap in the cylinders to the heads using a bit of valve lapping compound to finish the seal surface. Other wise, you can get a head leak sad.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.