Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: carbs or petronix?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914rat
Pulled the 74 out of the garage sunday and fired her up.Idles fine after warmup.Took her for a ride and it poped and banged and jerked like it had an ignition or fuel delivery problem.It is a 2056 with 44 webbers and petronix with a jacobs energy box.Bosch blue and 009.It has not been started since last fall could it be bad gas?This car normally gets driven about 400-500 milles a year and the engine was done in 99.My gut feeling is gummed up carbs.Already checked the timing and changed the plugs ,checked the gap on the petronix.All seems good.Any other stupid checks before I drain the gas and take off the carbs?
Joe Ricard
Definately not the petronics. these either work or not work.
Now bad gas is a safe guess. What were you thinking? You clogged a jet garraunteed.
yeahmag
I second the clogged jet. Check your idle jets.

-Aaron
BMartin914
Gas will go bad within about 3 mos if not treated with stabilizer. My money would be on that.
Jake Raby
Don't underestimate the chances for an intake leak...

Chances are a jet is clogged, but you never know!

Sitting around also fouls plugs, change them and see if it clears up..
Trekkor
This car normally gets driven about 400-500 milles a year

That sounds like you are using less than two tanks of gas per year. So if you haven't driven it for a year, the gas could very well be closing in on two years old depending on your recent milage ohmy.gif

Drain the gas, replace the fuel filter and clean out the carbs.

You need to drive it more.
I thought I was bad, I only drive about 200 miles per month.

KT
914rat
QUOTE(trekkor @ Oct 3 2006, 01:55 PM) *

This car normally gets driven about 400-500 milles a year

That sounds like you are using less than two tanks of gas per year. So if you haven't driven it for a year, the gas could very well be closing in on two years old depending on your recent milage ohmy.gif

Drain the gas, replace the fuel filter and clean out the carbs.

You need to drive it more.
I thought I was bad, I only drive about 200 miles per month.

KT

I guess I'll drain the gas, check the idle jets, and pull the intake manifolds and check for leaks.I have been working a lot this year, 6 days a week, haven't had time to drive it much.Plus I'm working on a 71 to do a V8 conv.too many projects not enough time.In Md. we don't have a 12 month 914 season more like 7 or 8.I don't believe I let my carbs gum up.I'll only let it happen once, already bought the stabuilt fuel stablizer. headbang.gif
Twystd1
To hell with running the stabil...

DRIVE THE CAR..!!!!!!!!!!!!!

By the way... what is REALLY keeping you from driving the car more?

just asking.....

Clayton
914rat
QUOTE(Twystd1 @ Oct 3 2006, 03:26 PM) *

To hell with running the stabil...

DRIVE THE CAR..!!!!!!!!!!!!!

By the way... what is REALLY keeping you from driving the car more?

just asking.....

Clayton

I'm self employed and the last 2 years have been working 9-8 M-F and 10-6 on Sat. unfortunatly I have to drive a pickup to work for hauling purposes.I used to drive it more when I didn't have to work as much.I also have 4 other 914's that I thought I would tinker before the work monster caught me.2 kids in college,the Bush economy,and a slow retail economy have forced me to be a slave to my business.The car is garaged and don't come out in bad weather,so May through Nov is about our 914 season in Md. the rest of the year is hibernation unless we get a good day here and there.After this I plan on driving it more believe me I don't want this to happen again.
Twystd1
I think that about sums it up...

Good luck on the car. I appreciate your self employed part of your life.

ya gotta do what a man has to do.

Cheers,
Clayton
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.