Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tires - buyer beware
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
type4org
For what it's worth, turns out that the 165SR15 tires the previous owner bought before I purchased my '76 are all out of round. Those are new Nankang tires, and unfortunately the chain where they were bought (Les Schwab) only exists on the west coast (I'm in VA now). Buyer beware...

I'm looking for replacements (probably repros from Coker Tire this time) and a set of original steel wheels. Hey, anyone on the VA are have a set of *good condition* steelies? Trade you a set of Rivieras or buy outright smile.gif

Twystd1

Michelin still has old school tyres.

Look at their Euro web site.

T
ws91420
Hey I work for a tire place and will check on Thursday what we can get.
type4org
QUOTE(ws91420 @ Oct 3 2006, 04:49 PM) *

Hey I work for a tire place and will check on Thursday what we can get.

Which place? I went to NTB in Central park thinking it was a balancing issues - those guys were really nice, didn't charge me a dime when they noticed there isn't much they can do with a balance job.
ws91420
Merchants in Stafford same company.
type4org
QUOTE(ws91420 @ Oct 3 2006, 04:52 PM) *

Merchants in Stafford same company.

If they don't have good brand name tires available, can you find out if they can order from Coker Tires? And how long it would take? If I can find a set of steelies in the next few weeks I'll be happy to swing by and have it done at Merchants.
ws91420
Will do when I work on thurs. May check tomorrow if I am up that way.
Mark Henry
Cooper has a good 165 tire.
They don't crack all to hell like the Michelin
r_towle
the tires are probably ok.

The rims, rivieras specifically, are not hub centric...therefore you cannot put them on a machine that centers the wheel using the hole in the middle. most machines do this.

You need to go to a well equipped store, typically the old timer tire stores, or the new dealer shops.

These shops have the correct jig that is the same bolt pattern as the 914/vw bolt pattern.
This mounts to the wheel using the lug bolts, and then to the machine.

The fuch alloys are the only ones I have had that are hub centric and lug centric at the same time...so the wheels are not out of round, nor are the tires...you just need to go to a good shop or a VW delaer that has a tire machine.

BTDT
two 914's and a super beetle
The super is the most senstive front end on earth..it took a long time to fix this issue, when all along it was just the guys using the wrong machine...

rich
type4org
QUOTE(r_towle @ Oct 3 2006, 09:44 PM) *

The rims, rivieras specifically, are not hub centric...therefore you cannot put them on a machine that centers the wheel using the hole in the middle. most machines do this.

The symptom, a shake at speeds over 60 mph, persists. I wouldn't even know where to look for (or even have the time to look for) a shop that has more specialized equipment. It's my goal to replace the Rivieras, anyway.
bd1308
OH!!!!!

This is why my tires are NEVER in balance!!
ws91420
QUOTE(type4org @ Oct 3 2006, 09:51 PM) *

QUOTE(r_towle @ Oct 3 2006, 09:44 PM) *

The symptom, a shake at speeds over 60 mph, persists. I wouldn't even know where to look for (or even have the time to look for) a shop that has more specialized equipment. It's my goal to replace the Rivieras, anyway.

Will check if we have the adapter to do that Jens.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.