Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: SCCA Solo SM2?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
914forme
I see all Porsches are excluded from SM and SM2 looks like a naturel class for a modded 914-4 into a 914-6.

I know it is a ricer class, but it would be a fun place to play if SCCA would make it work for an older school car.

This is the reason I run NASA, the rules might not be perfect either, but they are at least better. I have to run SCCA Prepared in my car finger.gif come on people it is not a Prepared car. SM would be a cool place to play, but alsa it won't happen. I would love to run DSP, but I would have to change brakes, and suspension bushings. That really sucks. so I got to get back to welding, fitting and cutting.

NASA TTE here I come again, next year I might be running TTD, we will just have to see what the car parts elfs build for me this winter. wink.gif
Dave-O
They're only banned from SM. All SM banned cars are allowed in SM2.

Ricer class? The top four SM cars at nationals were BMW's, and fast ones at that. Aside from RX7 TT's, SM2 has been dominated by Corvettes.
jhadler
Dude, RTFR...

All 2-seat sports cars are banned from SM, and all of those cars (with very few exceptions) are allowed in SM2. Including all Porsches.

As for SM being a ricer class? It sure isn't at the top level. The top cars in SM are all Bimmers, and wicked fast ones at that. SM2 gets the Vettes, RX7tt's, and a host of others.

SM and SM2 are cubic dollar classes. I think a 914 could do very well in SM2, but it'll take huge sums of money to do so. XP as well I think. But XP will soon become a Rockefeller class as well... FP? Fordahl did it just a couple years ago, and I'd wager he could do it again. DP/EP? Maybe not.

ST2 isn't a bad place for the 914. And the door is open in DSP!!! Best shot for the car right now.

And as for NASA? NASA's classification schemes are no less challenging. Just different. I think a points system is great, but it really only works when you limit the cars in the list. When you include all comers, it gets really difficult to apply a points system fairly. And look at NASA's TT points classification for the 914. The car takes a 15 point penalty out of the blocks...

And talk about rice? NASA attracts it's fair share without a doubt...

As for mods that bump you into prepared? That's a choice. The rules are designed as best as they can to accomodate ALL cars. And some rules may seem silly against one car, but that same mod may yield huge gains on another car.

-Josh2
GaroldShaffer
QUOTE(jhadler @ Oct 3 2006, 03:03 PM) *

ST2 isn't a bad place for the 914. And the door is open in DSP!!! Best shot for the car right now.

-Josh2

agree.gif
jhadler
Hey Garold,

Might you be going to Topeka next year? I'm hoping that I can...

DSP is gonna be fun!!

-Josh2
Mike T
In DSP and all the other street prepared classes altering the cam is not permitted.

What kind of power can you expect to produce with the 914 engine in DSP? I recall the 914 FI engine is not happy with carbs and the stock cam. Is there an aftermarket FI system that will wake up hidden power in the 914?

What kind of power are the top DSP cars making?

Outline a competitive DSP 914 suspension setup.

Mike T
jhadler
Street Prepared:

Any wheel/tire combo (DOT only) - flares allowed
Any spring of standard type (torsion bar, coil etc)
Any shock
Any sway bar
Any non-metalic suspension bushings
Any alignment without cutting, grinding or welding the origianl chassis (strut tower can be slotted)
Any brake pad
Any brake line
Any brake master cylinder
Any exhaust (headers okay)
Any intake (must retain stock aspiration - 914s are Normally aspirated) - carbs or ITB's okay
Any ignition
Any non-metalic clutch
Any upholstered seat(s)
Any muffler
Any differential (must retain stock gear ratios and final drive)

Engine can be balanced, 1mm overbore, and port matched (1"), but that's it. Stock internals otherwise.
Can't replace deck lids.
Can't gut interior.

I think that sums it up.

What kind of power can a DSP 914 make? I have no idea. But maybe 10-15% more than a bone stock motor with D-Jet. Autoxes are not won or lost with power. It's all in the handling (well... most of it anyway). And there the 914 can do well. It was a miss-match with the big bimmers. Power may not be the end all be all, but when the other cars have more than twice your horsepower, it's a problem...

I think the 914 has a decent shot now that the big bad bimmers have been bumped up. Only time will tell though...

My setup?

21 mm torsions
22 mm front sway
200 lb coils
Konis
Bushings
15x8 wheels with 225/45-15 Hoosiers
aligned and corner balanced

Stock intake
Euro Header

lot's of other little things...

Is it a championship car? Probably not, but a trophy contender? Maybe... idea.gif

-Josh2
Mike T
Most of those rules are the same as I remember. It's been a while since I looked because I've been in EModified for 10 yrs.

I think you may be understating the need for HP but that is arguable. I used to do quite well once in an H-stock VW Beetle against 100+ hp cars. So I know that a good setup and sound driving can overcome HP.

I wonder if the PolyBronze bushing would qualify for non-metalic suspension bushings? The races are metal but they are wrapped with about 1/16th" urethane... Does non-metallic mean "no metal at all"?

I think a well driven 914 with 115hp could have a shot.

Mike T
jhadler
QUOTE(Mike T @ Oct 3 2006, 04:48 PM) *

Most of those rules are the same as I remember. It's been a while since I looked because I've been in EModified for 10 yrs.

Ahh... EMOD.... To be free of all those pesky things like rules... biggrin.gif Okay, so you've got some rules. But not too many...

I think you may be understating the need for HP but that is arguable. I used to do quite well once in an H-stock VW Beetle against 100+ hp cars. So I know that a good setup and sound driving can overcome HP.

I'm not understating the need for power. But time and again you can see a well setup, well driven car beat cars with a considerable power advantage. But if the advantage is 240hp to 100hp, then it's bordering on the rediculous. The Bimmers were just too much for a class like DSP...

I wonder if the PolyBronze bushing would qualify for non-metalic suspension bushings? The races are metal but they are wrapped with about 1/16th" urethane... Does non-metallic mean "no metal at all"?

I've wondered the same. But you can't change to metalic to non-metalic ratio of the bushing. Seeing as the stock bushings were nearly entirely non-metalic, it would be hard to argue that the PolyBronze were legal....

I think a well driven 914 with 115hp could have a shot.

Agreed. That's what I'm going for...

-Josh2
Joe Ricard
I'll tell ya what my 2.0L motor is somewhere around 115 HP and the car is really a well prepared DSP car with illegal heads and cam.

I have all the suspension goodies mentioned above. If I were to have any asperations of being competative @ a national level event DSP would be where I would go.

I think I am going down the slippery slope to fast however.

If someone were to trade me a legal long long block for the fire breather I have now I might consider it. I guess SDS EFI would be a suitable and tune-able means of making decent power.

Damn it you guys now you got me thinking seriously......

And after the ride in that SM2 Toyota Spyder. You might as well freaking forget competative in SM2. NUTS fast and with 315 rubber??? forgetaboutit
914forme
QUOTE(jhadler @ Oct 3 2006, 11:51 PM) *

I've wondered the same. But you can't change to metalic to non-metalic ratio of the bushing. Seeing as the stock bushings were nearly entirely non-metalic, it would be hard to argue that the PolyBronze were legal....

agree.gif

I read the DSP rules pretty well, I am now running rollers bearings, so I am out with a 100% change of bearing material, unless I argue that the grease is the bushing, yeah right. Along with brakes, struts etc.......

BTW, Josh I RTFR for everything I go into. But I missed the SM2 part of allowing the exceptions from SM into SM2. The double legalize confused me, I am just a simple country boy, don't know, no different for an SM2 car and a hay bailer.

My car is maxed out for NASA TTE, and PCA I2 - it was a tough fit but works well. With some minor tricks like Bilsteins instead of Koni's - cause they are OEM I don't take points for them. It is all a balancing game the SM2 (locally) class looked like a fun place to play if I went up a class or two in NASA and PCA. But as you say it s a high $$$$$$ class to do right. Slippery slop my friend.
GaroldShaffer
QUOTE(Mike T @ Oct 3 2006, 05:06 PM) *

In DSP and all the other street prepared classes altering the cam is not permitted.

What kind of power can you expect to produce with the 914 engine in DSP? I recall the 914 FI engine is not happy with carbs and the stock cam. Is there an aftermarket FI system that will wake up hidden power in the 914?

What kind of power are the top DSP cars making?

Outline a competitive DSP 914 suspension setup.

Mike T

My DSP car

1970 914 with 2.0L from a 73 with euro P&C still FI. 73 side shift trans, welt bar front sway bar, 21 mm torsion bars, trubo tie rod ends, engman kit, koni adjustable on all 4 corners, no rear bar, 150lb springs on adjustable pearches. Keizer 9lbs rims with Kuhmo's. I have GTS LeMans seats & 5 point harnesses. No back pad, but still have the insulation pad (plan to install it, needed a later style since I added movable passenger seat)

There was a nice 74 /6 conversion that ran with us in SM2 that was usally TOD or 2nd TOD in a field of 50+ drivers. I seen him in Chicago events with 175 + drivers be in the top five many a time.
mikelsr
I run in SM2 - '70 914/6 with a 2.7L. It's previous owner (nynone4 - Matt Shepherd) did very well in SM2 (I am still learning) and almost always won his class and came close for FTD (damn Z06).

Fact is I just got it back. Lost the flywheel due to starter.

Mike
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.