Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: SOT: Watch those canyon drives
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jhadler
Had a fellow P-car friend go for a Canyon drive last weekend. Turned out to be not so much fun for him...

Link to Pelican thread

Glad he's okay, and the car is likely to come out of this better than ever...But let's all be carefull out there...

-Josh2
JPB
Freekin sikening thing but am happy it was the car and not the driver that needed fixing.

sad.gif Wonder if the truck driver was found to pay for the damages?
jhadler
Truck driver was a 20 year old kid, felt terrible, and admited fault. Citiation from the Sherrif to confirm it. I don't think there he'll have too much of a problem getting insurance money out of it...

-Josh2
ppickerell
Some pontificating going on there at PP. My take, following too close to his buddy's white car at too fast of a speed. If he was properly spaced he would have been able to stop.
jhadler
Yeah, there's always the armchair quaterbacking... The only person that I think can trully comment is Mike, and maybe JJ. Apart from that, none of us were there, so it's hard to criticize too much. Mike's a pretty good autoxer, I know he's got good reflexes....

Granted, the car had only just gotten back on its wheels after a pretty long down time. Maybe there was some rust on the steering nut... But what do I know? I wasn't there... Although he did offer me shotgun for a drive the day before... I had to decline...

-Josh2
JPB
Cool the kid admitted the wrong doing. Some folks would just disapear and he would have got charged for lost controle of vehicle or something like that and pay for the damages.

beer.gif
Madswede
Being a veteran of many canyons and the inherent "native New Mexican driver" factor I can only underscore the dangers of canyon driving ... which sucks something awful simply because Porsches are born for canyon driving, at least IMHO. Glad to hear the guy was OK - I've known a couple who weren't so lucky. My canyon driving is, fortunately now for me, so well-known that I slow for the likely trouble spots. Still, all it takes is one person being inattentive enough and ... yikes.gif help.gif

- Jon
Flat VW
QUOTE(jhadler @ Oct 3 2006, 04:19 PM) *

I don't think there he'll have too much of a problem getting insurance money out of it...

-Josh2

'From your mouth to God's ear'

John hands.gif
Midtowner
QUOTE(ppickerell @ Oct 3 2006, 04:21 PM) *

Some pontificating going on there at PP. My take, following too close to his buddy's white car at too fast of a speed. If he was properly spaced he would have been able to stop.

I almost learned my lesson the hard way while following Fiid and missed him by less than a 12 nches when he came to a full stop on the Montebello run. blink.gif
IronHillRestorations
Sounds like he tried to bump start the engine. If there was oil in the combustion chamber he's done some damage to his engine.
914nerd
QUOTE(Madswede @ Oct 3 2006, 05:53 PM) *

Being a veteran of many canyons and the inherent "native New Mexican driver" factor I can only underscore the dangers of canyon driving ... which sucks something awful simply because Porsches are born for canyon driving, at least IMHO. Glad to hear the guy was OK - I've known a couple who weren't so lucky. My canyon driving is, fortunately now for me, so well-known that I slow for the likely trouble spots. Still, all it takes is one person being inattentive enough and ... yikes.gif help.gif

- Jon

Which canyons?
I know of a couple good runs up in this neck of the woods, but not all of them.
Madswede
QUOTE(914nerd @ Oct 5 2006, 03:27 PM) *

Which canyons?
I know of a couple good runs up in this neck of the woods, but not all of them.

Well my fave you've already chimed in on liking - NM-4 through the Jemez. I do that one nearly twice a day. But there are some others in NM that are legendary, the most significant of which (and challenging for both traffic [read crotch rockets as well as bluehairs] and curves) is the drive from I-25 exit 200-something through Hillsboro into (eventually) Silver City. That one is fucking tits! w00t.gif Have yet to try it in the 968.

- Jon
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.