Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: MegaSquirt - TPS options?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
3d914
Saw how Dave used the Subi TPS with some modification.

Have others tried any other TPS (must be a POT) with less hassle?

TIA.

Gerard
fiid
I used a suby TPS with no modification. Just had to build an adaptor plate.

Mine's from an imprezza throttle body I bought on ebay for $6.

Fiid.
sechszylinder
hilow gerard,

I'm using a tps build by spectrol, which slides seamless onto the existing shaft of the throttle body.

Here's the link to the datasheet of my tps : http://www.farnell.com/datasheets/3365.pdf

Price is about 25, euros here in germany .

benno
Mark Henry
This is how I did my TB, the TPS is from SDS. I think the TPS for the Djet TB rotates the opposite way from most TB's and are a bit hard to find. But SDS does have them and will sell single parts. The price has gone up since last spring though, it's $68.

http://www.sdsefi.com/

I took an old Djet TPS and cut/broke off everything but the adjuster plate. Then took a couple of machine screws and mig welded them on. I had to file the flat on the TB shaft just a hair. A couple of washers for spacers, a bit of locktite on the nuts, because you can’t crank the nuts down too tight and your done.
It's bolts up and adjusts just like stock.
Mark Henry
The TPS mounted
DNHunt
Benno

That is really sweet looking.

I believe Meuller used a TPS similar to what you have. I tend to be a fiddler and like to try to adapt things but your application looks like the way to go.

Gerard

Don't get too hung up on the TPS. You just need something that fits the shaft and turns the right direction. It needs to be a variable pot. Almost all the FI cars will have variable pots for TPS. The only hard part is the combination of shaft size and direction of rotation. I went to the pick and pull a got a bunch. All rotated the wrong way so I drilled ahole in the back of the subi and mounted it upside down. Don't worry about calibration. One of the first things you do is calibrate it with a neat little program in Megatune. Takes about 30 seconds. If you load my fueling program you will still need to do that step unless you use the exact part I did. Load the program and then set the TPS

Dave
Mark Henry
QUOTE(DNHunt @ Nov 2 2003, 06:55 AM)

It needs to be a variable pot. Almost all the FI cars will have variable pots for TPS.

Carefull here, not all fi cars are variable pot!

Most late models are though, get one from '90-up and you should be safe.
crash914
I got mine from a guy in tennessee....

Just ask for a d-shaft tps on the megasquirt discussion group on yahoo groups...good luck.

I have not mounted mine yet, I will have to fab a plate I think....I paid about $40.00 for it....
herb
3d914
Thanks guys,

That gives me a couple of leads.

While I've got your attention. Where did you end up mounting the ECU?

I tried under the passenger seat, but its not going to fit unless I add about 3/8 - 1/2in spacer to the back gracket.

Any other ideas? Keep in mind I have AC, and the center console is already full of speakers.

Enjoy!
Mueller
Here is my TPS install, the bracket is the stock 2.0 tps backing plate, it needs trimming so that it looks better.

I like benno's solution, but I did not have a metric tap set at the time.
crash914
Just a quick question.....

I got my fuel injector plugs, relay board all wired up.

did you guys use easytherm for the cht and inlet air temp sensors?

I was thinking about just using the existing fuel pump relay and aar for now...thoughts? I might give it a go this weekend...herb
Mueller
I used GM sensors on my first install, this new one, I plan on doing the easytherm and use the factory sensors.

The stock relay (and location) for the pump will be fine as long as you wire it to turn on when the MS is getting it's voltage signal
DNHunt
I used Easytherm. It's a nice little program. Try the stock wiring. I think the AAR is probably a better solution for fast idle than a fast idle solenoid. I'll probably switch back to that wiring setup this winter as I hope to incorporate ignition control. In the newest configuration you lose fast idle to gain ignition. Seems like a fair deal to me.

Dave
3d914
Mike - nice looking setup. I have an old TPS I can use for the same. Where did you get your TPS? icon14.gif
That looks like the one Benno mentioned.

Enjoy!
Mueller
I got my TPS from a groupbuy on the Megasquirt site a few years ago....I want to say it was in the 40 dollar range

Throttle body and TPS on eBay

The above link is a good deal, I am not sure if it it the correct kind of TPS, but it wouldn't be too hard to research it out.

For a brand new "D" TPS, you can try:
(61 dollars)

Sais Tuning

TWM sells the correct "D" TPS, but they want in the 80 to 90 dollar range I think !!!!
mightyohm
Bringing old topic back from the dead....

Megasquirt gurus -
Does it actually matter what direction the TPS turns in its original application? By reversing the Vref and gnd wires can't you swap directions and use any TPS that fits the D shaft?

Electrically this should be ok.
airsix
I'm a butcher. I solved my EFI conversion TPS problem by installing a different throttlebody (it was off a dodge something or other. 2mm larger bore. Cost $9 w/ TPS).

-Ben M.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.