Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Removing front Suspension
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
obscurity
I have begun removing the front suspension and had intended to take it apart on the car as much as possible. (The thought being that it will be easier to remove stuborn bolts when they are still attached to the heavy car) My first issue seems to be the bolt that holds the strut to the lower ball joint (number 19 in figure 7.2 in the Haynes manual) The bolt came out but the threads are in terrible shape and I begin to wonder if I've done something wrong. Is this a bolt that is generally replaced or am I missing some trick? I should note that my car is a '71 so seems to have the early setup rather than the double taper stud.

Is this the best method or should I just drop the whole suspension and take it apart on the bench later? Like this http://www.tampabay914.com/7491401192004.html

Sorry for the dumb question and the book reference but any help would be appreciated as well as any other front suspension related pointers

Thanks
So.Cal.914
I just dropped the whole thing, it's nice not being in that fender well and under the car.
Lou W
QUOTE(So.Cal.914 @ Oct 3 2006, 08:27 PM) *

I just dropped the whole thing, it's nice not being in that fender well and under the car.

agree.gif Much easier all in one piece;
Air_Cooled_Nut
QUOTE(obscurity @ Oct 3 2006, 08:06 PM) *

Sorry for the dumb question and the book reference but any help would be appreciated as well as any other front suspension related pointers...

You're using a shop manual and referencing a nicely documented site (and Paul is a cool guy, too!) so you're showing an effort to find answers prior to asking a question, which is better than some can do. Nothing stupid on your part clap56.gif
Eric_Shea
I like to drop the whole thing. Check for critical items:

Long Bolts - May be too rusty to reuse. The space in the rear bushing carrier allows for air and water to get at them. Replace

T-Bars - Pull (or push) them out and check for wear and rust. Wear and rust mean worn bushings. Wear and rust also mean replace (both t-bars and bushings).

The bolt you mention is a replacement item. Make sire they are in properly or you can elongate the hole at the bottom basically ruining your struts.

I don't have a PET handy but someone could probably post all the bolt sizes and quantities. I would then head to my local nuts & bolts supply and get new bolts and washers for everything. It's probably a whopping $5.00 but so well worth it when reinstalling the front end.

Exhamine steering rack boots for tears and replace.

Tie rods?

New rubber brake lines?

Dig in...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.