Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fuel Smell After Fill-up
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dhopkins
Today I filled the gas tank and then parked the car on the street for a couple hours. When I got in the car there was a strong gas smell. Any ideas on why this happened?
Could it be from overflow of some kind? Maybe I overfilled the tank?

Don
HeavyHeavy
I've seen some threads here that suggest that's a pretty common problem. Could be that gas is overflowing. I had a pretty bad gas smell, so I replaced all the brittle lines on the top of the gas tank (to the expansion chamber and charcoal canister, etc.), then I replaced the fuel line at the bottom of the gas tank that connect the tank to the fuel lines that go through the tunnel in the interior. That made things better, but I still smell a little gas.

The fuel lines that go through the tunnel are plastic. You might plan to replace them with metal lines one day. You can pull the access plate off under the car to see if any gas is leaking between the tank and the fuel lines.
anthony
I'd check all the braided lines. The plastic lines going through the tunnel are probably fine.
914werke
One more potential is Rust. sad.gif
Yes rust on, not in but on the tank.
The tank rests on 3 or 4 felt type pads
over time if these retain moisture and
rust the surface of the tank to produce Pinholes
that only apear when filling or hard driving. headbang.gif
BarberDave
smilie_pokal.gif
Over Flow ,Pluged,??????? And not draining to ground? Dave slap.gif
bd1308
Maybe your trunk monkey is taking hits off of your gasoline by unscrewing the lid and breathing in the fumes.

Mine did that and I was pissed, because he ( the lady trunk monkeys are SO much more reliabile and dependable but were sold out and available on special order only) unscrewed the gas cap to take his hits, well he never screwed it back in and it sloshed all over the place, destroying a Calculus book I had paid for. Well at least *HE* got some use out of it before utterly destroying it as the trunk monkey was preparing to get a degree in Computer Science. I can't read.

Anyway one time I was pulling out from a parking space and BAM! I ran over my trunk monkey. Screwed up my front LE spoiler.
maf914
I also have a '76 car and years ago I had a problem with fuel leaking from the gasket between the plastic fuel fill neck and the tank. In my case the bolts securing the plastic fill neck were not uniformly tight. I removed all of the bolts, checked the gasket fit, carefully bolted it down, and the leaks stopped. idea.gif
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(rdauenhauer @ Oct 4 2006, 02:20 AM) *

One more potential is Rust. sad.gif
Yes rust on, not in but on the tank.
The tank rests on 3 or 4 felt type pads
over time if these retain moisture and
rust the surface of the tank to produce Pinholes
that only apear when filling or hard driving. headbang.gif

I just patched a tank for someone with this very problem at the large pad on the passenger side. It was in a '76.
Other than the gas smell after fillup there was little obvious evidence until the tank was removed and the rust scale was power wire brushed from the location exposing several pinholes.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.