Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Drove a new Cayman S today
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
PanelBilly
The car was fast and quiet too. Flying around the freeway on and off ramps was so easy, just point the car and step on the pedal. You could even let off the gas in the middle of the turn and No lift...nothing, just flat. Now I wasn't pushing it to any limits, but I was moving at some speed. The damn car takes the fun out of driving. Heat, air, nav, so much shit. It was as plush as my Benz.

I said no thanks. It was nice, but not for me. I'd rather blow wads of cash on an old car.
McMark
I'd drive one if I wasn't friggin' dirty all the time from working on teeners. lol2.gif
turboman808
Take out 500lbs of safety features and BS and knock 20 grand off the price and I will buy one. smile.gif
pbanders
I thought about getting one, my wife even encouraged it! Instead, I decided to spend a fraction of the amount needed for a Cayman on rebuilding my 914's engine. That way, I keep my car that's fun to drive, unique, and more attention-getting than an anonymous-looking Cayman.
DonTraver
I was driving one last week on the German Autobahn, doing about 140-150 mph. I thought it was pretty sweet. One day did have some pretty good crosswinds, I'd just left the Ruff Factory on my way to Lindau, had to keep her down around 130-135 mph, started getting light in the front end.

I'd buy one, but only after 3-4 years of production, give them time to work out all the bugs, cause they always have bugs that don't show up till later.

Later, Don
VegasRacer
Can someone who has driven both compare it to a Boxster S? confused24.gif driving.gif
horizontally-opposed
QUOTE(VegasRacer @ Oct 4 2006, 04:06 PM) *

Can someone who has driven both compare it to a Boxster S? confused24.gif driving.gif

Which year Boxster S?

If 2007, then it provides 99 percent of the Cayman S goodness with only a little less rigidity — so small a difference, in fact, that I doubt very many drivers would be any faster in the 10-pound lighter Cayman S.

If 2000, then it's about 85 percent as good as the Cayman S from a 914er's perspective. In truth, the latest 987/997 Porsches do offer real improvements over the early 986/996 cars, but in a very similar way to a 1978 911 SC vs. a 1986 or *maybe* a 1987-89 Carrera 3.2. "Same" car, lots of small tweaks. Plus "neat" options, luxury stuff, etc. if you are interested.

For the money, a 986 2.5/2.7 ($15-20k) or a 986S ($25-30k) is a far better value. If you can afford to spend $30-35k, then carefully consider the stretch to a new base Boxster, which has 240 hp (only 10 less than a 2000 S), a warranty, and a ton of advancements. Just go easy on the options... beerchug.gif

pete
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.