Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: More noob questions
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
michaelt55
Ok, I just purchased a 1973 914 and I have two issues. The rear trunk on the passengers side, the hinge area sticks way up! Is this a common issue and how does one fix it? The horn also is lost, nonfunctioning. I see a repair kit on ebay, is that necessary or does one just look for a nonfunctioning ground like other vehicles? blink.gif blink.gif

just be patient, I learn quickly...

Michael
aveale
cant comment on the hinge thing (try posting a picture so we can see what you are seeing).

the horn of the 914 has been my biggest foe to date. It is a finicky bugger. when shorted by the metal collar it goes off. if you take off the horn pad, you see a hole, look down the hole for the wire that makes your horn live. if you cannot find it there, you may have to take off your steering column and set one up. relatively easy stuff if you have a Haynes Manual, or Husseys (sp) book.

good luck.

T
mihai914
Look closely at the whole latch and you will probably notice that where the hinge attached to the body, there is a bracket (see picture below) and that thing is probably ripped out or is starting to crack. You can by an original replacement bracket for around $20 from various sources and will have to remove the old one and weld a new one in. The other option us to use a J-west manufactured kit that you can find in the resources section of the club. It's a different design that is bolt-on with some drilling required and it replaces that whole bracket.

THe horn electrical system is pretty simple. If you press on the steering with the ignition on and can hear a clicking, then the relay and contact point at the steering are fine and probably the horn is dead or there is a short from the relay to the horn itself.. If nothing happens, then you have to check if the fuse is good, if the relay is working (the relay is under the fuse panel, so you have to remove both philips screws to get acces to it). And you need to check also the contact on the steering, for that you need to remove the center pad by simply twisting it counter clock-wise.

It would be best if you worked with some electrical diagrams like these.
michaelt55
Well..followed your advice, ordered the J-West hinge kit and will see how that works. Also ordered a steering wheel refurb kit and see if that fixes the horn issue.
Liked the look of the Renn shifter too..

Michael
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.