Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: POR-15 question...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rtalich
What kind of surface does this product leave? Is it smooth like a normal paint or is it like a rhino lining type of texture?
ptravnic
smooth like a heavy oil based paint
jr91472
yes and black come out like a high gloss finish. I will use silver next time.
Jenny
I remember someone said silver will fade to a yellowish-gold. The context was that it was painted on a roll bar, and the exposure to the sun faded it.

Jen
ptravnic
POR's website says direct exposure to the sun requires some post application treatment.
KaptKaos
hijacked.gif

Where does one buy Por15? piratenanner.gif

/end hijacked.gif
BKLA
QUOTE(KaptKaos @ Oct 4 2006, 09:10 PM) *

hijacked.gif

Where does one buy Por15? piratenanner.gif

/end hijacked.gif

sad.gif evilbay has some listed now....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...TRK%3AMEWA%3AIT
Lou W
QUOTE(Jenny @ Oct 4 2006, 01:12 PM) *

I remember someone said silver will fade to a yellowish-gold. The context was that it was painted on a roll bar, and the exposure to the sun faded it.

Jen

I used this instead of POR-15, it turned out really good, but it too will yellow unless it has a top coat;

Rust Bullet
ThinAir
QUOTE(Lou W @ Oct 4 2006, 10:28 PM) *

I used this instead of POR-15, it turned out really good, but it too will yellow unless it has a top coat;

Rust Bullet

Any idea how much of this it takes to do a rear trunk floor? 200 square feet per gallon sounds like you could probably get by with a pint.
Hammy
QUOTE(ThinAir914 @ Oct 4 2006, 10:51 PM) *

Rust Bullet

Any idea how much of this it takes to do a rear trunk floor? 200 square feet per gallon sounds like you could probably get by with a pint.

I did both the entire engine bay and rear trunk (about 2 or 3 coats worth) with a quart of POR-15 and had a little left over. So I'm sure a pint would be enough.

It dries very glossy if on a smooth surface. Parts of my floor pan actually look like they have a pool of water on them because of the POR-15 paint look. But when the paint is exposed to the sun it loses its glossy-ness and gets flat black looking.

Where does one buy Por15?

/end

I found some at an automotive paint supply store.
pfierb
Buy it on line at their website WWW.por15.com
xsboost90
yeah they are in indiana-ok close to me- and ship super fast. Last time i bought some it was around $30 a quart. WILL require uv protectant coating if in direct sunlight. I did the bottom of my teener and undercoated over that- and the floor pans.
JB 914
i bought a gallon of it and had enough to do two floor pans. still had two quarts left that i donated to MattR and Skline. i think MattR used his. I bet Skline put it on his fruit loops.
Lou W
QUOTE(ThinAir914 @ Oct 4 2006, 10:51 PM) *

Rust Bullet

I bought the four pack, 1/4 pint each can, I opened each one as I needed them, I think there is a shelf life once its been opened.

TimT
I think there is a shelf life once its been opened.

Yes buy the pints in a 6 pack and open them as needed. Dont open the larger containers unless you have a large area to cover, the leftover stuff will set up like a rock in a closed container. Storing it in the fridge helps prolong the life of opened and resealed containers.

Also dont get any on your hootus

JimSar
I bought mine from www.rustymetalpaint.com. Free shipping for orders over $100, so I went with them. They're pushing new(?) products from KBS Coatings (www.kbs-coatings.com) and they gave me an 8oz can of Rustseal to try. Will report on the difference after I've tried both products.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.