Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: removing intake plenum
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jsf322
How do you get the intake plenum off of a 1976 2.0. I was able to remove the bolt on the back side of the plenum facing the trunk, but it feels like there is a bolt on the bottom side as well. How do you get at it and is there any more bolts to be reomved before it comes out. I wanted to take it off to check it for cracks carefully becasue I have a severe idle hunting and a running lean problem and I cannot find any other sources of vacuum leaks. I have changed all the lines, and all the gaskets and seals in the fuel injection system that I can think of except the intake manifold gaskets which I am replacing tommorow even though they look fine.
Mueller
keep looking underneath it...you'll need some long sockets and extensions...
Bleyseng
injector seals??
ptravnic
I feel your pain on the air leak. Years ago (pre 914 msg board) I chased down a leak to a bad plenum - but the chase took about 5yrs...

Keep at it.

-pt
Dave_Darling
There are three "legs" that it stands on. One goes back to the crankcase seam at the rear of the engine. The other two go to two of the bolts/screws that hold the engine tin on.

I usually remove the intake runner pipes before removing the plenum, as the "intake boots" tend to hold the plenum in place even after the bolts are out. But that means getting a bunch of other stuff out of the way, too (e.g, MPS and decel valve, etc.).

--DD
jsf322
Thanks for the thoughts. I have replaced the injector seals, both smaller and larger already. I have a good idea of where the bolts are, because I can feel them, but how do you get under the plenum to get the forward ones off. I don't have any wrench shaped right or a socket that is not too thick to fit under the plenum to get at the nuts. Any advice on getting in there.
TheCabinetmaker
read dave's post again. where the sheetmatal attaches to the top of the case. good luck
jsf322
Thanks I will look in the morning when I go to replace the intake manifold seals since I will have the runners off to do that.
tod914
Here's a link with the picture. http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?show...&hl=plenium
jsf322
Thanks for the link Tod. I did aearch before and did not find that one. The picture makes it more clear. Thanks
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.