Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: For My Northern States/Canadian Brothers/Sisters
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
aveale
Family,

anyone store their car outside (covered under a tarp or something) over the winter?

in Ottawa our winters are from Dec to April with temperatures dipping to as low as -40 (F and C).

I would appreciate some thoughts and thank you in advance.

T

thumb3d.gif
Bleyseng
Atleast get a umbrella cover which is a heavy waterproof material. Completely covers the cab and the engine cover. Is held on with one adjustable bungie at each corner.

I have mine out last winter cuz another 914 was in the garage so I know it works good.

Now if you trunk seals leak, time to fix those.

Perry Kiehl makes and sells em.
rhodyguy
car cover, covered by a blue poly tarp, bungeed down. open the windows a tad. go to a marine supply place and purchase a couple or 3 DRY-Z-AIRS. they help wick the moisture out of the air. make sure you place the d-z-as in plastic basins. check and empty the tubs once in a while. a couple of packets of D-CON (or similar rat/mouse poison) under the car will help keep the rodents out.

k
aveale
Perfect!!

T
GWN7
The blue poly tarps (when they get cold) act like sandpaper on the paint. This is due to the woven warp of the fabric. Winter winds help the effect. If your going to tarp it use a soft type tarp.

Also tarps trap moisture underneath and act like your putting your car in a bag full of water.

There are tarps that will let moisture out while keeping rain from getting in.

Or get a car bag. The zip up and don't let moisture accumulate under the tarp.

Example is: http://permabag.com/auto.htm
swl
cool find Bruce. The $1000 price tag causes a little bit of air to get sucked through the teeth but it is still pretty neat. I think you would want to do something to keep it from flappin in the breeze.

I have come to believe that the real killer whether you are in the garage or outside is change in temp that causes condensation. January and Feb are no problem cause it's too flippin cold for condensation ('cept around parliment hill of course - hot air abounds there throughout the winter). It is the sunny days in early december or march that will cause the damage. Heat up the car or garage, melt a little snow, then the cool evening strikes and it all condenses. I'm thinking that a white tarp might be better than dark - keeps the car from warming up.
cantley914
T,

Let me check with my buddy, I could maybe find you a place in his heated garage for the winter.
Much better than freezing outside under a moist tarp.

Steph
MecGen
Hey Hey

I used a "temperary" garage for a couple of years....you know the type with galvanized frame and a sewn tarp. Keeps the ellements away, its dry, and air is circulating inside. In January we get so fucking cold and dry, not much moves, not even rust. beer.gif
These go real cheap and used ones are on the market all the time, lots of people here store cars like this. Any size is avalible, start at $300 new, heres one of the bigger boys, but you the the idea.

Tempo

Later Eh
beerchug.gif smoke.gif

GWN7
QUOTE(swl @ Oct 5 2006, 02:30 PM) *

cool find Bruce. The $1000 price tag causes a little bit of air to get sucked through the teeth but it is still pretty neat. I think you would want to do something to keep it from flappin in the breeze.

I have come to believe that the real killer whether you are in the garage or outside is change in temp that causes condensation. January and Feb are no problem cause it's too flippin cold for condensation ('cept around parliment hill of course - hot air abounds there throughout the winter). It is the sunny days in early december or march that will cause the damage. Heat up the car or garage, melt a little snow, then the cool evening strikes and it all condenses. I'm thinking that a white tarp might be better than dark - keeps the car from warming up.

There is cheaper ones on the market. I just used that one as a example of how it worked. I've seen them starting at about $250.... beerchug.gif

The other option is check at a local boat yard and see what they would charge you to shrink wrap it like they do the boats for winter.

Looks like if you have a heat gun, for about $100 you could shrink wrap 5- 914's

http://www.shrinkwrapsolutions.com/frames.asp
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.