Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Where's the 1.8T conversion thread.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Series9
Luckie's car may go this direction.
MoveQik
Do you have the car yet? If so let's see some pics my brotha!
Ferg
Nope I have it still happy11.gif , I may even give it a bath this weekend thumb3d.gif it's still dusty from the PO.

Joe, I have the old excellence with the 1.8T race car article, remind me to give it to you when you guys come.

Ferg
Series9
We should be getting the car on Monday.

I'm currently bored in Baltimore, so I'm crunching some numbers on getting Luckie 220hp/Motronic for the best price while staying in the Porsche/Audi/VW family.

The 1.8T seems to fit the bill.
TROJANMAN
joe,
i have a contact for 1.8t engines in denver
he's a vw salvager
we talked about building me one, once
Series9
QUOTE(TROJANMAN @ Oct 5 2006, 10:13 AM) *

joe,
i have a contact for 1.8t engines in denver
he's a vw salvager
we talked about building me one, once

Do you know what they're going for?
TROJANMAN
$2,100-$2,800

Depending on model year
andys
QUOTE(TROJANMAN @ Oct 5 2006, 09:30 AM) *

$2,100-$2,800

Depending on model year

Would that be with the transaxle? The VW/Audi trans would be an exceleent upgrade to the 901.

Andys
TROJANMAN
joe,
the earlier motor would be best.they are cheaper, and would fit better than the later motors. You would need to use the 901, and transaxle adapters are available.
andys
Well, I understand why you'd want to stay with the 901, but the VW/Audi 5 speed is very good. I think someone posted once that the CV's will bolt up to the flanges as well. BTW, the model 012 VW/Audi transaxle is the same as boxster 5 speed. Depending on the VW/Audi trans code, the same ratio's are available. At least you wouldn't have to buy the adapter and clutch assembly, so you'd save $800-$1000(?) right there.

Andys
Series9
The adapter is $500. How much is an 012 tranny?
TROJANMAN
I am pretty sure it's a different transaxle than the boxster, but i could be wrong.
For the heck of it, a tranny will run you about $300, but i don't think there is any compatibility with the 914. I think the shifter comes out of the wrong place on the VW tranny, and won't line up for use.
Mueller
It was Sonu (914-1.8T) that did a streetable 1.8T conversion with the Audi/VW gearbox.

Series9
QUOTE(Mueller @ Oct 5 2006, 12:18 PM) *

It was Sonu (914-1.8T) that did a streetable 1.8T conversion with the Audi/VW gearbox.

Was there a thread?
andys
QUOTE(Series9 @ Oct 5 2006, 10:35 AM) *

Don't forget that you'll still need to add the cost of the flyheel and clutch to that $500.

Andys
Series9
QUOTE(andys @ Oct 5 2006, 01:29 PM) *

QUOTE(Series9 @ Oct 5 2006, 10:35 AM) *

Don't forget that you'll still need to add the cost of the flyheel and clutch to that $500.

Andys

I visited KEP today (online), it says $500ish for everything but the clutch.
neo914-6
QUOTE(Series9 @ Oct 5 2006, 10:21 AM) *

QUOTE(Mueller @ Oct 5 2006, 12:18 PM) *

Was there a thread?

Joe,

Here you go: 1.8T in 914

He sold the complete 1.8T engine to install a 2.7TT...
okieflyr
I've got a full auto-x season on my 1.8t conversion so far, and I'm pleased.
I converted the car using a VW 03 aniv 1.8t, and mated it to a reinforced 901.
The engine mgt consists of the factory ecu w/custom flash to get around the theft deterent, and gives 200hp/230tq. The torque comes in low around 1800 RPM, and will light up the r-compounds. I've used the stock body mounts as well. I've posted a few pics here in the past. KB
Brad Roberts
Joe,

go with the Audi/Boxster tranny.. hydraulic clutch.. cable shifted.. you can mount the shifter easily on the tunnel with little to NO headache.

Not sure if you fab a lot.. but the tranny mounts are not difficult.

The first time I drove a 1.8T.. I knew it would work perfect for a 914.

B
okieflyr
I'm watching for an Audi a4 trans at my local yard, that I can get a Quaiffe set up for. I know that the 901 has limits in the auto-x enviroment, but so far I'm not abusing it[b]yet, and there is enough torque to start from 2nd gear. KB

QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Nov 22 2006, 07:04 PM) *

Joe,

go with the Audi/Boxster tranny.. hydraulic clutch.. cable shifted.. you can mount the shifter easily on the tunnel with little to NO headache.

Not sure if you fab a lot.. but the tranny mounts are not difficult.

The first time I drove a 1.8T.. I knew it would work perfect for a 914.

B

neo914-6
From what Sonu has done, the Audi gearbox is the most cost effective and you can connect the sensor if you use Audi e-speedometer. I'd use an earlier engine before they changed to e-throttle. The Boxster cable shifter can be adapted to the Audi box since they are very similar.

No one to my knowledge has mated a 5 speed Boxster gearbox to an Audi 1.8T. At $1.5-2k they are hard to justify relative to $500 Audi boxes. The Boxster gearbox has the same Audi 2.7TT bolt pattern but there are differences in the clutch, CV's, axle lengths, and e-speedo...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.