Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT weird Win XP issue
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
seanery
I'm working on a computer for one of the performers - it was chocked full of spyware and adware stuff. I've managed to get rid of it using Spybot Search & Destroy, Windows Defender & Norton Antivirus (2004 - definitions expired in May). I also mapped his drive to my computer and checked it with my current Norton definitions.

All of that crap is gone, but I can't select a background image - I can't even click on a picture. The wierd thing is....the image shows during the boot, and even after I can see the start bar, etc...but something must be in the registry stopping (right?).

Anyone ever seen this or know how to fix it?
dlo914
ive got the same situation, havent found a solution to this problem sad.gif
Steve Thacker
Press f8 repeatedly while rebooting until you get to the advanced options screen. Select 'Last known good configuration'.
Does this work?.

If not, reboot to the advanced screen and select 'Safe Mode'. From here you can do a (System Restore). Then go back to a last known good state and you should be fixed.
dlo914
QUOTE(Steve Thacker @ Oct 5 2006, 09:52 AM) *

Press f8 repeatedly while rebooting until you get to the advanced options screen. Select 'Last known good configuration'.
Does this work?.

If not, reboot to the advanced screen and select 'Safe Mode'. From here you can do a (System Restore). Then go back to a last known good state and you should be fixed.

i'll give that a try later on today, thanks steve beer.gif i'll post later if it works or not.
Steve Thacker
good luck man!
Brando
Under Display properties, go to the desktop tab.

Click on Customize Desktop.

Go to the Web tab.

Uncheck any items listed under Web Pages.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Sometimes people put web pages as their background/desktop, then the background image and/or icons sometimes will not show.
HeavyHeavy
Last known-good configuration gets rewritten each time
Windows gets launched successfully. Since Windows is
launching, you have a last known good configuration that has
the broken background (probably).

One thing you might consider trying is restoring the system
to an earlier point in time, if a good restore point exists.

Open your System tools (in Programs \ Accessories) and
choose System Rsstore and see if the machine has a good
restore point that works.
seanery
Thanks guys, he had a good restore point the day before he got the major infection...so, it seems like all is good.

I just have to reinstall Windows Defender, Spybot S&D & BHO Cop.

Thanks for your help beer.gif
914nerd
Another recommendation for people who have this problem is to download and use registry mechanic after all of that other stuff
it will repair a lot of the registry problems that windows and other programs (spyware, adware, etc.) create
That coupled with adaware, spybot s&d and a good antivirus work wonders

Charles
Gary#
MS newest release - comes already broken!! Why wait???
Pnambic
Well, I guess you already have it fixed, but for future reference...

I don't know if XP treats it the same, but in W2K, it could have been the Active Desktop settings. If you have Active Desktop turned off, it won't like using anything but bitmaps for the background. If you have a JPG selected, the system will just default back to the last good BMP it had.

Its a checkbox on the "Web" tab of the Display Properties window.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.