Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Clutch repair - Maryland Style
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
plas76targa
Jens (type4org) needs his clutch replaced before he returns to Germany in a few weeks (with the 914 darn-it). I'll host the wrenching party. Dr Evil will be guiding us newbies to the dark side of clutch repair. I might even solve the oil leak problem after I replaced the oil cooler seals in the summer.

When: Saturday, October 14th
Where: my place in Frederick MD
Time: starting 10-ish

Stop by, help out, watch, laugh, etc. Should be a fun, greasy, time.

Who's in?
type4org
QUOTE(plas76targa @ Oct 5 2006, 12:39 PM) *
Who's in?

I am thumb3d.gif beerchug.gif

zymurgist
As long as you don't do "Clutch repair - Ace Mechanic Style" in which you get a severe case of DWD and end up keeping the car for a year... wink.gif

I may or may not be able to make it... Babydoll is coming back because she's not running right. Don't know for sure what the date is or how long that will take to fix, so I'm going to have to play it by ear.
Rick L
I'm 90% sure I'm in!
ws91420
The 14th I will try if I can get the day off work.
type4org
QUOTE(ws91420 @ Oct 5 2006, 05:06 PM) *

The 14th I will try if I can get the day off work.

We can convoi up from the burg if you want to.

Dr Evil
I guess I am in dry.gif

I am just sick in the head. Seroiusly, what is wrong with me rolleyes.gif wink.gif
VaccaRabite
I'd love to go. But I think that several people might have issues if I stood Erin up at the alter for a 914 meet.

So, I'll just have to settle for gett'n hitched instead. wub.gif

Zach
plas76targa
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Oct 6 2006, 08:16 AM) *

I'd love to go. But I think that several people might have issues if I stood Erin up at the alter for a 914 meet.

So, I'll just have to settle for gett'n hitched instead. wub.gif

Zach

New time: we'll start at two am, finish up early morning. then drive the teeners up to Dallastown. Zach, tell Erin you don't know those greasy guys in the back row. biggrin.gif
Bleyseng
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Oct 5 2006, 09:18 PM) *

I guess I am in dry.gif

I am just sick in the head. Seroiusly, what is wrong with me rolleyes.gif wink.gif

post a pic of your tranny buddy....
crash914
Need any parts?

I do have lots of 4 stuff...
also I have the heat exchangers etc....
I should be able to make it...
Dr Evil
QUOTE(Bleyseng @ Oct 6 2006, 01:31 PM) *

QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Oct 5 2006, 09:18 PM) *

I guess I am in dry.gif

post a pic of your tranny buddy....

blink.gif Who?
Bleyseng
thread title "Clutch repair - Maryland Style, MD NoVA PA teeners stop by - Dr Evil & tranny again"
zymurgist
bow chicka bow wow
MartyYeoman
Hi Matt,
Glad to see your still running with the crowd.
Marty
Dr Evil
QUOTE(Bleyseng @ Oct 6 2006, 02:29 PM) *

thread title "Clutch repair - Maryland Style, MD NoVA PA teeners stop by - Dr Evil & tranny again"

Ahhh, I C.

My normally increadibly fast wit is running at dial-up speed today wink.gif

plas76targa
QUOTE(Marty Yeoman @ Oct 6 2006, 11:23 AM) *

Hi Matt,
Glad to see your still running with the crowd.
Marty

Hey Marty. Just havin' fun. Made it official by putting the car on Jack stands almost all summer.
plas76targa
icon_bump.gif

PM me or speak up if you need directions. We're still on for the 14th.
ws91420
Planning on coming up.
type4org
QUOTE(ws91420 @ Oct 12 2006, 06:41 PM) *

Planning on coming up.

Cool - we need to have a chat, anyway wink.gif
type4org
icon_bump.gif
Dr Evil
I talked a classmate of mine into comming (good thing, we can drive his car wink.gif ).

See ya at 10am beer.gif
crash914
Not sure I can make it... sad.gif

I won't know until the am.

Dr Evil, can you have a spare drain plug handy anyway?

see you all later...
Dr Evil
Herb,
For the tranny? For you? No.

Of course I have one for you! I am gonna have to remind myself in the morning wink.gif
crash914
sweet.......wink.gif
Geodude
rolleyes.gif I would if I could be there, but it's just way too far to travel. I have a 74 1.8 (engine and transmission out of the car) that will need clutch R&R before everything goes back in. Any chance you might document the upcoming clutch event with some pics for us novices?? Thanks
plas76targa
QUOTE(Geodude @ Oct 13 2006, 05:54 PM) *

rolleyes.gif I would if I could be there, but it's just way too far to travel. I have a 74 1.8 (engine and transmission out of the car) that will need clutch R&R before everything goes back in. Any chance you might document the upcoming clutch event with some pics for us novices?? Thanks

We'll try to accomodate that request- photo's. Too bad you can't make it.
crash914
drunk.gif

most likely still under way, ....but here are a few pics..
crash914
the good doctor and others....where does the felt washer go?
crash914
wow, what a clean tranny!
crash914
couple more...
crash914
and more...
crash914
and this...
type4org
QUOTE(crash914 @ Oct 14 2006, 10:12 PM) *

and this...

Herb, thanks for the pictures, and once again thank you very much for giving up your used flywheel for this clutch replacement. The end result is great. Since this is my first 914 I had never even felt the pedal feel of a clutch in good condition. It was remarkably different from what I had before. The clutch is now much lighter and the shudder is completely gone. I will need a few days to get used to it smile.gif

Thanks also to the Evil Doctor and his new evil sidekick, Brian, for handling 99% of the work today. Yet again, another satisfied customer!

Just like last time, Matt and his wife did a wonderful job hosting the group. I'm glad his 914 saw great progress as well, and it is now running again.

Turnout stretched Matt's garage space to the limit, it was nice to see familiar faces and those I had not seen before. Thanks to everyone for making this a great day!

Side note: As part of the clutch replacement I also replaced the two transmission mounts. I had bought the 911-style mounts, which are cheaper, more solid and considered a longer-lasting replacement for the original 914 mounts. After driving 90 minutes on the freeway I'm not sure if that was the best choice. It turns out that the added stiffness also means a noticeable increase in vibration and engine/transmission noise transmitted into the passenger compartment. I'll keep them in for now, but will probably replace them with the real 914 mounts some time in the future since my 914 is a daily driver. Comfort beats raceability in my book.
ws91420
A good time was had by all. Sorry we had to leave early but neede to spend some time with my mom since we were up this way. Jens I guess you want your old mounts back eh? Did our hosts car get refired and not hemorrage alll over the garage and blacktop? I have a special interest in that now. Especially after the debate.
crash914
I enjoyed it...too bad I could not hang out all day...

hope the flywheel works out. save the old one and have it refinished....they are not as common now as before.

I just could not see putting all new parts in with the flywheel in that condition...

Enjoy and send pictures when you get back home....I know we would all like to see your car on the autobahn....

herb
root
Matt!

That was a good time, thanks for the hospitality!
Please thank your wife too. chowtime.gif

Didn't take any pics I got busy putting parts back on your car the old school way so Evil could redo them his way. Hope the oil problem is solved. biggrin.gif

plas76targa
My thanks to all of you! Mike and Brian (not really "his tranny"), Jens, Herb, Welby, Rod, and Jim. We successfully put two 914's back on the road.

Welby, no leaks at all from my car. The "debate" may still be on but my car is dry so far. I have a few small items to finish top off gear oil and motor oil. Replace the hand brake, hook up the tachometer drive, and reattach all the heater pipes and blower fan.

Again, thanks to Mike and all of you for your help. It was a FUN and SUCCESSFUL afternoon!

This place does ROCK!
type4org
QUOTE(ws91420 @ Oct 15 2006, 09:06 AM) *

Jens I guess you want your old mounts back eh?

No worries, they're all yours. I have to start spreading the love I keep receiving wink.gif Will be in touch this week when the steelies come in.

zymurgist
I like to watch.
Dr Evil
QUOTE(zymurgist @ Oct 15 2006, 02:37 PM) *

I like to watch.

"...and Ken (for the call and answer flatulance) biggrin.gif ....."

I am still sore from all of the work we did. Its very good to see Matt's car up and running again and Jens' face after driving his car on a new clutch and flywheel.

It was good hanging out with the crew, telling dirty stories, picking on....everyone biggrin.gif

Brian was impressed with the caliber of people that I hang out with in this club.

Herb, you are a real stand up guy for offering to make the 1hr round trip to get your spare flywheel and GIVE it to Jens. You rock man! thumb3d.gif

Matt, well, you know drunk.gif Your realy generous as well wink.gif

Root, congradulations. You taught me something that I didnt already know about the cars regarding the numbers on the wiring harness wires. Its for reasons like this that I will not call myself an "expert", just knowledgable cool_shades.gif There is always something to learn.

Great time, gonna dissapear for a few weeks to study reanal (the killer class). PM me when yus needs me.
crash914
ha ha, you said anal....
jimkelly
All I can say is - Evil is single handedly putting the manufacturers of jack stands out of business here on the east coast : )

I sure hope these companies are not owned by the mob : )

A very special thanks to Evil's girl Noel for letting him come out and play so frequently!

I don't know what he has got - that I don't - nor do I want to : ) but he sure does draw a crowd of well wishers where ever he goes.

Jim
Dr Evil
QUOTE(crash914 @ Oct 16 2006, 08:12 AM) *

ha ha, you said anal....

wink.gif

zymurgist
Apropos of the whole "anal" thing... I found the Ig Nobel Prize listing for 2006, which includes not one but two references to "Termination of intractable hiccups with digital rectal massage".

Personally, I think I'd live with the hiccups, but to each his own.
Dr Evil
The hands, and to a larger extent the digits, are truely one of the physicians greatest assests wink.gif
root
It was deadly. I was gasping for air!... it hit me hard and fast!
I had just checked the wiring diagram and returned to MATT's engine bay.
I leaned way down in to reconnect the #9 connector to the #3 fuel injector when I heard the 'EVIL' sound from under the car. Everyone ran to the far end of the garage.
Thankfully, Brian had experience with this thing. He grabbed a match and quickly Lit it! Dissapating the inevitable. blowup.gif
Dr Evil
av-943.gif rolleyes.gif

It was pretty bad happy11.gif
plas76targa
QUOTE(root @ Oct 16 2006, 05:08 PM) *

Thankfully, Brian had experience with this thing. He grabbed a match and quickly Lit it! Dissapating the inevitable. blowup.gif

I was just glad we'd shut off that propane heater just minute's before. Too bad it ran out of gas, that secondary source was brutal !!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.