Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Bus 2.0 Rebuild
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
9magazine
Guys,

Am looking at picking up a complete 2.0 Type 4 from a VW Bus next weekend. I assume I can use my favorite 914 parts vendors for this motor or no?

Thanks everyone,

Brian Minson
www.9magazine.com

I have set up a new free weekly Porsche e-newsletter, visit the 9magazine.com website and sign up for your copy.
type47
i would say YES. bus and 914 motors are like "first cousins", very similar.
914Sixer
The blocks are different. The dipstick is in a different place. Depending on the year the exhaust ports are different. Some had mechanical fuel pumps in the block. Top breather is also made in to case on the later ones. The internals are mostly the same but again the later buses had hydraulic cams, rod, and lifters.
Twystd1
Go to the STF forums. They live and breath that conversion.

T
Cap'n Krusty
2.0 bus heads crack like 914s rust. The Cap'n
Bleyseng
QUOTE(9magazine @ Oct 5 2006, 12:18 PM) *

Guys,

Am looking at picking up a complete 2.0 Type 4 from a VW Bus next weekend. I assume I can use my favorite 914 parts vendors for this motor or no?

Thanks everyone,

Brian Minson
www.9magazine.com

I have set up a new free weekly Porsche e-newsletter, visit the 9magazine.com website and sign up for your copy.

They are pretty much the same except for the dip stick location, oil filler is in front and some have the crappy hydro lifters.

You can use it for a 914 engine build throwing away the heads, tin, and flywheel/clutch.

Keep the FI if it came with it..
anthony
I think the flywheel is different. I think it would be a lot easier to start with a 1.8 as a core. You can build a nice 2056 out of that which makes 130 foot pounds of torque.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.