Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: windshield aluminum trim
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
joeav8tor
Hi guys,
is there any way to make the aluminum around the windshield shine again (other than replacing it?) as well as the other aluminum pieces on the car...there is a definite difference in the inside of my vent window aluminum, compared to the outside (probably burnt or faded from the sun)
thanks idea.gif
Joe
Twystd1
I believe the trim is anodized from the factory.

I have heard of fellas getting their trim walnut shell blasted, polished and re-chromed in a soft chrome color. (not as glossy)

I was going to get mine black chromed. before I opted for the rubber trim ONLY set up. Like Ellyut's car.

T
william harris
I hand polished mine with .001 steel wool. It took a real long time, but the shine kinda came back. Mine had real bad paint over spray from a $300 paint job.
736conver
Its a bright dipped anodized process. $$$

I dont know of any home fix its though.
Twystd1
I was just thinking about this again.

I don't see why you couldn't polish out the trim by step sanding and polishing afterwords. then the problem is that the raw aluminum will now tarnish rather quickly unless coated with something.

In SoKal. we have anodizing shops that can apply a CLEAR COAT anodizing. In fact that is the way we cover polished aluminum wheels. In this way they don't degrade. Since all the polishing compound MUST be removed to do this application. the anodizing kind of flattens the sheen.

That is a real option me thinks.

just a thought.

T
East coaster
I have a brand new set in the factory plastic that I'm not going to use.
edrotol
QUOTE(East coaster @ Oct 5 2006, 03:25 PM) *

I have a brand new set in the factory plastic that I'm not going to use.

PM sent
jasons
You can sand the annodizing down to the raw Al then polish the Al and clear coat it with a rattle can.

Its pretty easy to do and the trim comes out pretty good.

Heres a link to an article
Pelican Parts Article About Polishing Trim
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.