Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: GT Flares - fibreglass or metal ?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
amallagh
I'm planning a 914-6 conversion with GT arches.
Question is metal or fibreglass ? Obviously metal is more original and probably worth more if I was ever to sell the car but quite a bit more expensive and I already have a set of fibreglass arches.
What I'm interested in is if people find there is any practical benefits in one over the other. eg rust, ease of fitting, cracking paint, strength, etc.

Advice welcomed
Bleyseng
fiberglass is lighter cheaper and cracks pretty easy. It was a good sub for factory flares but now that AA is making repo's metal is the way to go especially if you drive on the street!
jdogg
If you have an "off" or hit something, the fiberglass is easier to repair...How do you intend to use the car?
So.Cal.914
An impact that might mar your paint with metal flairs, has a real good chance

of cracking a FG flair. If you want to save weight for racing go with the FG but

if it is for the street, IMHO, go steel.
effutuo101
It really depends on what you want the finished product to look like and how much money you want to spend. If FG flares are installed correctly, they should last for years with out cracking. Mine were strong enough to lean on and after 6 years they were still hanging tough. I did get 1 small crack after about 3 years when I slammed my front air dam into a speed bump. The crack did not go anywhere as I put a fiberglass strip along the joining edge before final mud and paint. Modern bonding materials do a wonderful job. I am all for the steel as butt welded will always last a lot longer. But if you are going to be racing, I would suggest zues fasteners and some trim around the outside of the flare for quick replacement. It is all up to you.
BKLA
Go steel if it isn't going to be raced.

I have 'glass flairs and plan to replace with steel ones in a year or two. mad.gif

Better looking, less cracking and better resale.

IMHO
maf914
Brumos Porsche runs a fleet of 914's for customers at HSR events. I noticed the cars had FG flares, so I asked one of the mechanics why. He said they had found that when they get damaged racing it easier to tear off a FG flare and replace it, than it is to rework a steel flare.
DEC
FG flares are the choice for racing (replacement etc.) driving.gif
Steel flares are the choice for all other. shocked[1].gif
Jay Gratton
I would go with steel. They hold up MUCH better over time and if you can find some good ones you'll be glad you did.
tyler
I would suggest the metal also. I have FG flares and I'm doing the bodywork now for new paint. The fiberglass just doesn't get the nice crisp edges that you want for a good paint job and it's always obvious that their FG.
Eric_Shea
yawn.gif
JPB
Its all about application my friend. If your gonna go big, have you ever considered them Sheradon flares? happy11.gif Yes Sheradon are the BOMB bro!!! happy11.gif They look so modern and smooth, they really are the sweetest deal for the money and look so up to date ya know. happy11.gif

beer.gif Okay fire away!!!!! hide.gif
BMartin914
Sheridan Wide Body

IPB Image
dekman
F A T S T E E L F L A R E S welder.gif
markb
I was up at GPR the other day talking to Dave. He mentioned he has something like 16 sets of the AA steel flares, and he's motivated to sell. If you have ever even thought about steel ones, call him while he's motivated. I bet you'll get a good deal.
He also had a beautiful pair of used US taillight lenses sitting on a shelf. If I didn't want Euros.....
amallagh
QUOTE(markb @ Oct 7 2006, 10:03 PM) *

I was up at GPR the other day talking to Dave. He mentioned he has something like 16 sets of the AA steel flares, and he's motivated to sell. If you have ever even thought about steel ones, call him while he's motivated. I bet you'll get a good deal.
He also had a beautiful pair of used US taillight lenses sitting on a shelf. If I didn't want Euros.....

Can you send me Daves (GPR) contact details and a link to his website if he has one. I'll contcat him about the flares. Seems like a good option. If I can gget the steel flares at the right price then its decision made.
Thanks
Andree
PORobinSCHE
if you don't use the 'glass flares, i'd be interested in them

Robin beer.gif
amallagh
QUOTE(markb @ Oct 7 2006, 10:03 PM) *

No reply from Dave at GPR yet. Maybe he has changed his mind ?????
nomore9one4
QUOTE(BKLA @ Oct 5 2006, 10:53 PM) *

Go steel if it isn't going to be raced.

I have 'glass flairs and plan to replace with steel ones in a year or two. mad.gif

Better looking, less cracking and better resale.

IMHO

agree.gif
nomore9one4
QUOTE(PORobinSCHE @ Oct 7 2006, 06:04 PM) *

Robin beer.gif

I would bet shipping would be expensive! wink.gif
markb
GPR is 1 800 321-5432 Dave is ext 502. If it goes to his machine, wait & it will tell you how to forward to him.

OOps, just noticed you're across the pond. The standard number is 1 805 549-8525.
PORobinSCHE
QUOTE(faux916 @ Oct 11 2006, 09:22 PM) *

Robin beer.gif

shouldn't be too bad, ever tried to ship a set of rockers?

R
nomore9one4
QUOTE(PORobinSCHE @ Oct 12 2006, 03:42 PM) *

QUOTE(faux916 @ Oct 11 2006, 09:22 PM) *

Robin beer.gif

shouldn't be too bad, ever tried to ship a set of rockers?

R

Sure have,but not from England. smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.