Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: Buying a car for the wife
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Allan
The wife wants a new Mini because the Infiniti has been wounded. S model with auto or just go for the low end and get her a base model?
1970 Neun vierzehn
Allan,
Wait a month and get her a black Civic Si 4 dr. driving-girl.gif
dlo914
i'm actually looking into a few cars to replace my DD and the mini is one of them. They get decent gas mileage 25/32, but they are required to run on 91 octane.
jim_hoyland
Recently drove a base model; plenty of oomph, lottsa room, and quick to boot. Don't get her an S ! She'll blow by you someday while driving your teener ... biggrin.gif
KaptKaos
I don't know if it's important to you, but the Mini only has 4 seat belts. 2 in front and 2 in back. It might not be an issue, but its good to know. Checkout the Mazda Speed 3 too and the Scion TC too.
Pat Garvey
Well, she doesn't drive as well as she used to - if anyone mentions this to her, I'll deny I said it. Used to be a good auto-x'er - had no fear & no idea of what brakes were for! Age takes its toll.

I'd get her a '64 Catalina, 389-4 speed (she still refuses to drive an automatic!). Lotsa metal in front & back, moves quickly & is still stylish. That's what I would do, but she wants another GTI! God help me!
rick 918-S
Well, you could get her an S with a manual. Then when she doesn't drive it you'l have a new ride. No?

So.Cal.914
Most woman (I said most, ladies, your the chosen few) don't care about if it is

an "S" or a T U or a V . Put key in, put it in D and go is all they want.. Save the

money and buy something for your car instead.
TROJANMAN
just kill aaron and get his frontier
turboman808
Why spend more money on a daily driver. The S isn't gonna be much faster and even with the S it's still a slow car so why bother.

base model with AC and stereo and your good!
highways
Have you seen the crash test videos for Mini's? Those things are awsome. Quite a tuff little car. Get one with lots of airbags though if it's for the lady. Everything S, T, U, and V... is just extra letters in the alphabet.
LuckieO
QUOTE(highways @ Oct 5 2006, 07:46 PM) *

Get one with lots of airbags though if it's for the lady. Everything S, T, U, and V... is just extra letters in the alphabet.

chair.gif flipa.gif laugh.gif
Joe Bob
I got the bad boy Volvo for the wife....she never gets it outta the turbo lag......but when "I" get in.....waaaaaaahahahahahhahahahahah
John
If you are really worrying about it, get the base model and then get a spare "S" emblem for it. I'm sure the BMW dealer will sell you one.
sjhowitson
Take a good look at the Mazda line. I love the mini, but Mazda makes some great looking cars that a a blast even with an auto.

My .02
Allan
QUOTE(sjhowitson @ Oct 6 2006, 07:34 AM) *

Take a good look at the Mazda line. I love the mini, but Mazda makes some great looking cars that a a blast even with an auto.

My .02

I personally like the look of the RX8. I can even put all 6 feet, 200 lbs of me in the back seat with not much effort.
Aaron Cox
laugh.gif hanged.gif
TROJANMAN
QUOTE(Headrage @ Oct 6 2006, 09:59 AM) *

QUOTE(sjhowitson @ Oct 6 2006, 07:34 AM) *

My .02

I personally like the look of the RX8. I can even put all 6 feet, 200 lbs of me in the back seat with not much effort.

then buy one used. resale value on them isn't great
byndbad914
Wow, the 07 S is available with a paddleshift auto???

My fiancee and I looked at minis when they first came out for her. She loved the looks (btw, generally speaking that is why women buy a particular car - HP is typically very low on that agenda) and has this thing about bulldogs, so when I told her they were nicknamed/associated with them, she went apeshit.

I wanted her to get an S, but she REFUSES to drive a stick-shift and in LA traffic, I don't really blame her. But the S was only a 6spd manual then.

Anyway, I test drove a base model and liked it. But when they first came out, the waiting list was around 4-6mo. and dealers were marking them up and such, so we got a different car. Now she has 60K on that car and I am thinking about having her sell it and get another new one. Now that the S is auto... idea.gif

On topic - I realize it is her car, but whenever we go somewhere together, she makes me drive. If that is your case too, get the S. If not, save the $$ and get the base model (since you don't have to deal with it).
Howard
Or, for the same $$, Honey, it followed me home.
KaptKaos
That car has lug bolts. Clearly it sucks. Ask Z.
chilli
biggrin.gif Has to be the S as I will drive it also

mike driving.gif
Spoke
I didn't participate in the poll since the selection that we're looking at is not listed:

"Buy her a nice 1-3 year old used car loaded with everything for a lot less than the original sticker price"

We will probably sell the Volvo in the next 6 months and get another car for the wife. Unless I come into a bunch of money, her "new" car will have a few miles on it. We're looking at a 1-2 year old Infinity, Lexus, or BMW.

Cars today go forever and starting with 35K miles is nothing on a car but those 35K miles can save many thousands on the price and most likely we'll still pick up the balance of the manufacturer's warranty. I bought my 97 A6 2 years old with 35K miles for almost 1/2 the sticker price.

Spoke
SLITS
Since you're moving to Turkey ..... I would think a cart and an OX would be sufficient. Ya have to be a mite careful on the OX exhaust design though unless you get one of the new "pusher" models.
KaptKaos
QUOTE(SLITS @ Oct 7 2006, 07:04 AM) *

Since you're moving to Turkey ..... I would think a cart and an OX would be sufficient. Ya have to be a mite careful on the OX exhaust design though unless you get one of the new "pusher" models.

The Ox won't pass a smog check here. You'd have to get it when you get there. Unless, of course, the Ox is a '75 or older. I have to think that it will be very hard to find a '75 or older Ox. If you get a later model, make sure it does NOT have a thermal reactor. Those things on an Ox are dangerous.
Howard
QUOTE(KaptKaos @ Oct 7 2006, 09:32 AM) *

The Ox won't pass a smog check here. You'd have to get it when you get there. Unless, of course, the Ox is a '75 or older. I have to think that it will be very hard to find a '75 or older Ox. If you get a later model, make sure it does NOT have a thermal reactor. Those things on an Ox are dangerous.

Every knows you can't put a reactor on an Ox, moron. blink.gif
KaptKaos
QUOTE(Howard @ Oct 7 2006, 09:47 AM) *

QUOTE(KaptKaos @ Oct 7 2006, 09:32 AM) *

Every knows you can't put a reactor on an Ox, moron. blink.gif

Bullshit! Back in '77, my brother's sister's uncle's cousin had one on his. Now that was bad ass. post-2-1117899824.gif
Allan
Well, no Mini.

She took one look at it and said nopt, too small. wacko.gif

Now it's back to square one...

Women are so weird.....
JPB
Okay, time to bring this ride around full circle!!!!

Isen't it time women start buying their men some cars for once in a millenium?
We must stop this cycle of pervesion and abuse!!!
Like on fella told me when I asked him what would he ask a women if he was looking for another one and he said,"Can You make ME live for free?"

beer.gif It would be so much easier and faster since we know what we want, where it's at and what color it must be.

I implore you brothers, lets end the wacko.gif cycle now!
Tobra
two words

paddle shifters

fat73
Yes I'm prejudiced....BUT have her go drive a WRX or a Legacy first...Much more car, and in my opinion performance for the money. BUT NOT if you're worried about her blowing your teener away. biggrin.gif

Ed aka W9R1
1973 914/2003 WRX, 2006 Forester 2.5 XT, 1999 Mitsubishi GS, 1999 Ford 150 Xtra Cab Lariat
Allan
So who wants to give me the skinny on Boxters?

She started leaning in that direction yesterday.

Good years?

Bad years?

Things to look for?
PanelBilly
I think the new Miata or MX5 or whatever they call it now. Get it with an automatic and the new hardtop that nests in the trunk. Works like an SLK, but costs alot less. Even has good road manors.
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(Headrage @ Oct 8 2006, 09:21 AM) *

So who wants to give me the skinny on Boxters?

She started leaning in that direction yesterday.

Good years?

Bad years?

Things to look for?

do they come in a masculine model?
JPB
av-943.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.