Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Aftermarket 914-6 heat exhangers suppliers ?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
amallagh
Does anyone know of any other suppliers of heat exchangers for a 914-6 apart from the ones that Patrick Motorsport supply ?

Please post any links/comments/prices here
mihai914
England eh? Aren't you supposed to get some sleep? biggrin.gif

Porsche still carries them.

Aftermarket:

B&B
GHL

I think Camp914 may have some NOS ones?

PS: We have a search function which works great and will keep you busy for some time.
GeorgeRud
Stoddard Cars in Willoughby, Ohio had them available - factory original. I think the price was just under $5000 for the pair.

Watch EBay, there are used sets that show up from time to time. Nowadays, even some pretty rusted ones can be rewelded and coated to give a good product for less than the factory charges. The factory ones seem to work the best by far and fit well.
iamchappy
Craig has a NOS pair listed on Ebay. That said, everyone on this site who needs them will try to outbid everyone else, me included. Good for Craig bad for us.
I have been trying to decide which way to go and haven't ruled out the BB or GHL.

I believe you have a good 914 source in England, http://www.rogerbrayrestoration.com/index.htm

Also try

http://www.mittelmotor.de/english/startenglish.htm
boxstr
I took a pair of used factory heat exchangers in almost perfect condition today for Jet Coating. This will improve the heating quality of the exchangers 100% and they will look like new. They do not need any repairs or refurbishing. No price yet. After I get the bill I will now.
Craig C. Laughlin
gms
I have a factory set, Jet hot coated for $1000 US + shipping
Dr Evil
QUOTE(boxstr @ Oct 5 2006, 11:41 PM) *

I took a pair of used factory heat exchangers in almost perfect condition today for Jet Coating. This will improve the heating quality of the exchangers 100% and they will look like new. They do not need any repairs or refurbishing. No price yet. After I get the bill I will now.
Craig C. Laughlin

I'll be very interested in hearing how much this process costs. idea.gif
iamchappy
Wow, so many choices.
gms
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Oct 5 2006, 07:59 PM) *

I'll be very interested in hearing how much this process costs. idea.gif

Not cheap, cost about $300 for my set 10 years ago
KenH
Craig,

What company did you send them to??

Ken
gms
I offered 914-6 heat exchangers, Jet Hot coated for $1K + shipping
don't want to hijack this thread so I started another:
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=61877

SOLD
amallagh
QUOTE(gms @ Oct 6 2006, 04:46 AM) *

I have a factory set, Jet hot coated for $1000 US + shipping

Glenn,
I am very interested in the heat exchangers you offer. Can you please send me some detail photos.
When were they coated ?
Is there any corrosion ?
Are any repairs required ?
Why are you selling ?

Regards
Andrew
gms
Sorry my heat exchangers are sold
IronHillRestorations
I'd hold out for a good set of used factory h/e's. They flow best of all, and give good heat.

I've sold some of the B&B, and won't unless that's all the customer wants, but I've had fit problems with them and so have others.

There is a company in the UK (whose name I don't recall) that makes an aftermarket h/e, but I don't like them as they have weld joints inside the heat collectors, which I wouldn't ever abide. The Porsche factory discontinued manufacturing any heat exchangers with weld joints inside the collectors as it resulted in fatalities from leaks. You can pressure test, do whatever you want, but there's no way aside from x-ray that you could insure the weld joint inside the collector.
GeorgeRud
I just had a set of heat exchangers Jet Hot coated- cost $175 + shipping for the grey finish. Quuick turnaround and they look great. I also figured that the new coating would prevent corrosion, and with no bad weather driving for our cars from now on, it should last forever (or at least longer than us!)

I seem to remember that they jet-Hot people charged more in the past, but I think they got some competition and had to lower prices.
KenH
QUOTE(GeorgeRud @ Oct 9 2006, 07:47 PM) *

I just had a set of heat exchangers Jet Hot coated- cost $175 + shipping for the grey finish. Quuick turnaround and they look great. I also figured that the new coating would prevent corrosion, and with no bad weather driving for our cars from now on, it should last forever (or at least longer than us!)

I seem to remember that they jet-Hot people charged more in the past, but I think they got some competition and had to lower prices.

Who did the work?? Company name??

Ken
amallagh
QUOTE(9146986 @ Oct 10 2006, 02:40 AM) *

I'd hold out for a good set of used factory h/e's. They flow best of all, and give good heat.

I've sold some of the B&B, and won't unless that's all the customer wants, but I've had fit problems with them and so have others.

There is a company in the UK (whose name I don't recall) that makes an aftermarket h/e, but I don't like them as they have weld joints inside the heat collectors, which I wouldn't ever abide. The Porsche factory discontinued manufacturing any heat exchangers with weld joints inside the collectors as it resulted in fatalities from leaks. You can pressure test, do whatever you want, but there's no way aside from x-ray that you could insure the weld joint inside the collector.

Hi, you say you have had problems with the fit if the B&B ones. Is this all of them or just some of them ? (You would have thought they should be fairly similar if they are manufactured on a jig in te same way)
What about the ones from GHL ?
Would be interested if you or anyone else can recall the name of the potential suplier in the UK. Like to just follow it up out of interest and see the quality for myself.
Interesting you say the original 'flow' better. Not heard that said before. Is it is significant difference ?
jim912928
I've been told the old ones restrict the 3.2 engines and higher?
IronHillRestorations
QUOTE(jim912928 @ Oct 10 2006, 02:52 AM) *

I've been told the old ones restrict the 3.2 engines and higher?

I wouldn't use the factory h/e's for anything over a 3.0. I know of a few conversions with the factory h/e's and they work fine. The "legendary" carb'd 3.0 that Bruce Anderson wrote about and references numerous times, was in fact in a 914-6, used factory h/e's and made 215hp.
GeorgeRud
Ouch, the new ones on EBay finally sold for $3150. Better than the $5000 from the dealer, but still a lot of money for heat.
iamchappy
I am surprised there has been know responce on the GHL heater boxes, they dont have the appearance of a header but the boxes look bigger than the BB's.

Does anyone have the the GHL boxes and how have they worked for you.
amallagh
GMS offered me some original heat exchangers coated and in good condition for $1000 but as soon as I could respond they had gone !!

Anyone else want to do the same ?

Also be interested in second hand aftermarket ones from GHL or B&B (as long as they fit ?)
Please PM me rather than posting here ! This site is so active its like eating with vultures. Being on the other side of the pond it is likely to take me at least a day to respond. In this environment that seems to be too long !
Andrew
Brad Roberts
Mike Zois has a set for sale.. that you could have coated.

The stock HE's work fine on 3.2 engines also. It actually helps generate some more bottom end torque.

B
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.