Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT-We are now accepted by the 911 crowd
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
TJB/914
Hi All,

Went to our local PCA (Rally Sport) club meeting last night. Got to park among all the 911 & Bxstr cars. One of the cars was a GT-? with modified 3.8 When started up everyone in the restaurant was looking out the window. When walking out of the restaurant on of the (fat) chicks sitting at the bar said hey "Rich Porsche" guys, hello, stick around. rolleyes.gif

In summary:
These 911 people really like out 914's & interested in our cars. I was sitting next to a 911 guy that put his 911 into the dirt at Waterford (see picture). I am even getting waves, & headlight flashs when driving the 914. I guess that's why the price of 914's are climbing. This attention is confusing my 914 Porsche mind. confused24.gif

Tom
zen motorcycle
Don't get to worried just yet got snubbed by a boxster last night. He made a point to rub my nose in his exhaust. barf.gif
mikelsr
Over the years I've found that people who snub others about cars are normally just status seekers. A real car person likes to talk about cars. It doesn't matter if it's a Yugo a McLaren, or even a 914. biggrin.gif Yes they will have their favorites and will kid around about their's being better than your's but they are car people.

If they do snub you, whose loss is it anyway? Surely not yours.

When I was out in SD last year (again thanks guys for the dinner), I had on my "got 914?" shirt. As I was walking around shore, a runner came past and said "got 911". That was the same as a wave, a blink, etc.
blabla914
QUOTE(mikelsr @ Oct 6 2006, 05:56 AM) *

Over the years I've found that people who snub others about cars are normally just status seekers. A real car person likes to talk about cars. It doesn't matter if it's a Yugo a McLaren, or even a 914. biggrin.gif Yes they will have their favorites and will kid around about their's being better than your's but they are car people.

If they do snub you, whose loss is it anyway? Surely not yours.

Mike has the right attitude here.

The last PCA meeting I went to I drove my T4 powered street baja. I heard several people comment about the POS VW. One guy actually said "I can't believe some one had the nerve to drive a VW." right in front of me. I didn't even bother saying anything.

However, after the meeting there were several people around my car shooting the breeze with me and eachother and generally checking it out. Even the PCA has some real car people. I made a point to say "good night" and wave to the ***hole who made the comment above, as he got in his SUV to leave. I mean, if you can't drive your Porsche to a PCA meeting WTF do you have it for? Impress the neighbors, obviously.

Why would you want the attention or "respect" of people like that? Personally I would prefer it if 914's stayed valueless and plentiful for those who like them.

Kelly
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Thomas J Bliznik @ Oct 6 2006, 05:54 AM) *

Hi All,

Went to our local PCA (Rally Sport) club meeting last night. Got to park among all the 911 & Bxstr cars. One of the cars was a GT-? with modified 3.8 When started up everyone in the restaurant was looking out the window. When walking out of the restaurant on of the (fat) chicks sitting at the bar said hey "Rich Porsche" guys, hello, stick around. rolleyes.gif

In summary:
These 911 people really like out 914's & interested in our cars. I was sitting next to a 911 guy that put his 911 into the dirt at Waterford (see picture). I am even getting waves, & headlight flashs when driving the 914. I guess that's why the price of 914's are climbing. This attention is confusing my 914 Porsche mind. confused24.gif

Tom

I think Midwestern guys have always been a little more laid back about status and such. When I lived in Minnesota PCA guys were always coming to our autocrosses. One even begged rides in my 240Z.
zymurgist
QUOTE(blabla914 @ Oct 6 2006, 10:32 AM) *

Personally I would prefer it if 914's stayed valueless and plentiful for those who like them.

Me too.

(Speaking as a guy who doesn't own one yet)
jsteele22

Yeah, right after I started getting the itch for a 914 about a year ago, I saw that there was a PCA autocross in town. Thought I'd go and watch some nice cars go fast. One guy was pretty friendly, chatted with me even though there was stuff to take care of, friends to meet, etc. Eventually, I kinda leaked that I was thinking about getting a 914. "Hey, I might have one for you." After assuring him that I wasn't ready to spend much money, he said this might be just the car for me biggrin.gif (I bought the car later that evening)

Anyway, it turns out his own car was an okay, but not great-looking stock 914. And despite a couple million $$ of flashy competition , he turned in the top two times of the day. Everyone else kept moaning : "How are we supposed to keep up with the 914s ?"
JPB
We need to make a bumper sticker that syas:

I have a 912, 924, 911, 944,
BUT I DRIVE THE FUN ONE!

beer.gif Okay whos making em up boass?

The 911 crowd were never considered the quickest ones in these parts. wacko.gif
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(Rotten Robby @ Oct 6 2006, 11:03 AM) *

uote]

I think Midwestern guys have always been a little more laid back about status and such. When I lived in Minnesota PCA guys were always coming to our autocrosses. One even begged rides in my 240Z.

I would have begged a ride in your 240Z too. When I was little, they were my dream car. The car I promised myself I'd oneday own.

I'll hopefully make good on that promise one day. I stil think they are dead sexy.

Zach
anthony
QUOTE(JPB @ Oct 6 2006, 08:53 AM) *

I've turned in times at AXes in my stock 911SC which beat all the stockish 914s. 911s can be driven fast and on a fast course with some straights a stock 914 doesn't have a chance against a 911. On a tight course the 914 gets back the advantage. It's just the way it goes.

I've always gotten positive comments about my 914 from other Porsche owners. I've never been snubbed or sneered at. Sure, there will always be some poseur with a new Boxster or 997 who isn't really a car guy and only bought a "Porsch" for his ego. My advice - don't make friends with those types.

I also wanted to say that some 914 owners seem to have an inferiority complex. There really is no 911 vs. 914 conspiracy group out there.

SirAndy
QUOTE(mikelsr @ Oct 6 2006, 06:56 AM) *

I've found that people who snub others about cars are normally just status seekers. A real car person likes to talk about cars.

agree.gif
Brad Roberts
Cool story Tom!

The second and third owners of Boxsters are becoming the "original" Porsche owners. People who owned other Porsches in the past. The tides will change as the years go on and diehard Porsche people start buying the used "new" cars. I'm already seeing it here in SD.

As I trek down the Boxster path.. I remind them of exactly where Porsche came from and where they are headed with the new cars.

B
JPB
QUOTE(anthony @ Oct 6 2006, 12:15 PM) *

QUOTE(JPB @ Oct 6 2006, 08:53 AM) *

I've turned in times at AXes in my stock 911SC which beat all the stockish 914s. 911s can be driven fast and on a fast course with some straights a stock 914 doesn't have a chance against a 911. On a tight course the 914 gets back the advantage. It's just the way it goes.

I've always gotten positive comments about my 914 from other Porsche owners. I've never been snubbed or sneered at. Sure, there will always be some poseur with a new Boxster or 997 who isn't really a car guy and only bought a "Porsch" for his ego. My advice - don't make friends with those types.

I also wanted to say that some 914 owners seem to have an inferiority complex. There really is no 911 vs. 914 conspiracy group out there.

As you have answered, you are a well ballanced and good hearted man.

As for myself and the bold comments I make, they are there to start the schmit sliggers a going!!!

What all Porsche owners have in common are the views behind the winshield and the spirited driving.

As for the "Porsche" stereotype, the chics made that up if it is ever true?
I can't help but think about them red 911s and the lack of interest from the women folk though? I think we all compensate for something each one of us lacks inside or out consiously or subconsiously.

:beer1:One absolute though brother, I believe that one must have BALLS to drive a 914!
Pat Garvey
PCA has changed a lot through the years. Some of you may remember that in 1970 there was a PCA movement to have the 914 made inelligible for membership. That it was voted down, years went by before 914's were anything but laughed about. Funny, that didn't happen to the 924, 944, 928 & they have WATER in them.

When I bought my '72, the first thing I got was a flasher kit, that allowed me to flash my fogs at other Porsche drivers - similar to a thumbs up. I specifically remeber the first time I recieved a flash back from another Porsche owner & it was a 356, in 1974!. To this day, I've never gotten a return flash from a 911 driver, but doubt that contemporary drivers know what it means so I'll give them some slack.

Am serious friends for many years with 911 owners (hell I'm on my second) that have only said negative things about 914's when the topic of autocross came up, because it's hard to beat the handling & neutrality of the 914. Unfortunately, the "gold-chain" gang has invaded Porsche in the last 10 years - those are the snobs! Ask one of them how long they've "owned" the 911 they drive & you'll probably get a response that they lease it, so they can get rid of it when the lease is up. It's only to impress the niehbors & the boss - then ask them about thier net worth (bet it's negative).

The hardcore Porsche owners will be around for a while, though the 356'ers are getting old. They don't car what you drive, so long as it's vintage. As long as these (and we) owners populate PCA, it will still be fun place to hang out. After 34 years of membership, I've seen the snubs, but they never last. The Porschefile hardcores are still there & it's still a great place to congregate.

Unfortunatly (for me), the newer cars are beyond my tech capabilites. I still have my babies & they're just fine for me. Though.......I won't rest until I get a real sixer!
JPB
Back when cars were things one can tinker with, car people were made. Now one almost needs a seperate set of tools for every make and have a degree in electrical systems engineering to take them appart; not good for making car people anymore. It also seems like they think we are getting bumber by the year with all the gadgets they have. I'm waiting for one which will take care of my bodily functions as I'm driving, now thats innovation!!!

beer.gif Can't read a map or the road signs, no problem with this car and if your driving skills are not so good, it also offers simulated: stopping and going, steering, gear shifting as well as all the switch activities that takes palce in bad weather. WTF.gif
anthony
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Oct 6 2006, 04:34 PM) *

To this day, I've never gotten a return flash from a 911 driver, but doubt that contemporary drivers know what it means so I'll give them some slack.

Am serious friends for many years with 911 owners (hell I'm on my second) that have only said negative things about 914's when the topic of autocross came up, because it's hard to beat the handling & neutrality of the 914. Unfortunately, the "gold-chain" gang has invaded Porsche in the last 10 years - those are the snobs! Ask one of them how long they've "owned" the 911 they drive & you'll probably get a response that they lease it, so they can get rid of it when the lease is up. It's only to impress the niehbors & the boss - then ask them about thier net worth (bet it's negative).

Maybe it's an east coast versus west coast thing? I don't really see the gold chain crowd at PCA events out here.

I've been flashed or waved to by many a time by 911s. In fact after just picking up my 914 in Reno from the PO, I stopped for gas and next to me pulls up some young guy in a big $$$ 996 turbo. He quizzed me all about the 914 and gave me lots of compliments.

sean_v8_914
I sell Toyotas in san diego and I see one or 2 porsches roll up in the lot every week. The other salesmen know I'm a p-car guy so I get notified when they arrive. almost all of the porsche owners I have met OUTSIDE of PCA are status drivers with no asperations of ever driving their cars agressively. I have a hard time comprehending this. They own a car because of someone elses opinion about them because they own it. I try to recruit every one of them to come down to a PCA event. once you get talking I find out why they really own it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.