Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: Crazy Chevy Truck Suspension Fabrication
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Britain Smith
A buddy of mine is into old Chevy trucks and sent this to me. The kid building this truck is 22years old and got some cool ideas. Take a look, here is the original thread:

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=211015

-Britain
Aaron Cox
motor and tans are at like shoulder height in the car... wtf...
type11969
Its for that monster truck cornering stability when you are suffering with a lowered car . . .
Lou W
QUOTE(Aaron Cox @ Oct 6 2006, 11:48 AM) *

motor and tans are at like shoulder height in the car... wtf...

agree.gif The builder addressed this in the link, I think it should be lower. Otherwise, very nice work. welder.gif
jd74914
If you read it thats his point. He's doing it for looks. Its supposed to get a blower which will be in line with the roof line.
Brad Roberts
You havent ridden in a VIPER?? The center tunnel is almost under your armpit.

The rocker arm style suspension is pretty trick with air bags and the such.

Aaron,

also.. the early trucks.. the engine has 3 feet above it as it sits in the engine compartment. You can bolt a blower to most of the engines and keep everything under the hood.

I see where he is going.

B
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Oct 6 2006, 12:00 PM) *

You havent ridden in a VIPER?? The center tunnel is almost under your armpit.

The rocker arm style suspension is pretty trick with air bags and the such.

Aaron,

also.. the early trucks.. the engine has 3 feet above it as it sits in the engine compartment. You can bolt a blower to most of the engines and keep everything under the hood.

I see where he is going.

B

ive been in a viper and a military hummer... i hear ya...

the cantilever shock idea is cool.. but it made him raise the engine... way high...

neat fabwork regardless
Brad Roberts
I love it. TOTAL "Hot Wheels" look!! with the engine that way.

B
Aaron Cox
true.. lol

i like the giant 16" wide wheels in the rear... freakin monsterous....

build the body around the wheels LOL

narrowed rear end or is he using crzay big offset wheels....

its growing on me. cool fab work....
maf914
It is interesting. Rocker arm suspension. He apparently isn't really worried about weight. The suspension components are, well, beefy. When you see rocker arm suspension on sports and formula cars it is always so compact and light. Quite a contrast.
Aaron Cox
he'll chrome em when he reassembles LOL
jd74914
QUOTE(maf914 @ Oct 6 2006, 03:09 PM) *

It is interesting. Rocker arm suspension. He apparently isn't really worried about weight. The suspension components are, well, beefy. When you see rocker arm suspension on sports and formula cars it is always so compact and light. Quite a contrast.

2 years ago my dad sold his '72 K-10 to a kid we know. He's making the truck into a dualie for towing (since he owns a custom painting/restoration business) and his suspension is built very similarly heaby duty. It even appears that many of the components are the same b/w the 2 trucks.
byndbad914
I really like the rockers and I think that truck will be very cool. Nice fab work overall. Weight is certainly never an issue with a street rod - it doesn't matter how much it weighs at 15mph cruisin' or even highway driving. This truck is definitely not going to be used for cornering, so cool factor and nice looks outweigh weight. How is that for a play on words.

Anyway, with his ability to fab, I would be VERY cool IMO to make a simple 1:1 gear drive from the rear of the crank to drop the trans back down (like a thin transfer case). then he would have the looks benefit of the high engine and not be so intrusive with the trans. That would be some real fab work biggrin.gif

Overall, really cool project.
Aaron Cox
that would suck up HP tho tim tongue.gif
byndbad914
QUOTE(Aaron Cox @ Oct 6 2006, 02:18 PM) *

that would suck up HP tho tim tongue.gif

av-943.gif yeah, blown 383 - he is gonna need all he can get to move all that metal...

"wow, nice truck, how much HP?"
"650HP at 12lbs of boost, but loose 2HP to drive the transfer gears. Freakin' bummed"

Aaron, are you one of those guys that can "feel the difference" when you put a K&N filter on your car? av-943.gif rolleyes.gif alfred.gif
Aaron Cox
note the smiley LOL

butt dyno dont lie! LOLOLOL
JPB
I beg to differ. If ya look at the pumpkin and the end of the trany, it all lines up as it should including the engine. If the stock frame was attached, all that seems to be in the way would be even with the fame. Now his ass is almost even with the center of the hubs. With all that low assed stuff, it should be a speed bump scrapper! I bet he is gonna put some bucket seats and be at least 12" off the frame.

beer.gif Nice work.
byndbad914
QUOTE(Aaron Cox @ Oct 6 2006, 03:05 PM) *

note the smiley LOL

butt dyno dont lie! LOLOLOL

smiley was noted, I was just f'in with you. I knew you were kidding and those comments always make me think of that (either K&N or Fram) commercial with the guys in pickups changing out to a filter and inlet tube and being blown away by how much faster the truck accelerates. They have basically admitted - on film no less to the public - that they are an idiot. slap.gif

JPB - As for the trans lining up with the rearend, that isn't as relevant as any offset can be fixed with pinion angle and so forth. And there will be limited travel on that truck overall. Figure a lifted baja truck can have 12" of travel in one direction and not have an issue with correct geom and static pinion angle... In his case, the pinion would just angle down a bit v. up like a lifted truck.
JPB
I stand corrected!!! Thats right since them 4X4s get jacked up and the diffs are in some pretty big angles.

:beer1:My cats breath smells like cat food.
Aaron Cox
hows he plan to shift it?

even with a normal length shifter.. he will look like a "ed big daddy roth" rat fink character!!!!
Chris Pincetich
That is one wild build! Fun pics to look through. The thing I always enjoyed about those trucks is all the fun those big bench seats can offer with your honey slidin up next to you on a fast right corner....but I guess he would rather snuggle up against a big ol american iron transmission! av-943.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.