Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Finish of brake disc backing plates
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
Pat Garvey
I have a spare set of backing plates that Irecently picked up that are about as perfect as can be for a 30+ year old part subjected to weather.

I've always thought that these came originally with a satin black finish, and these DO have that finish (said to be original by the PO). However, strikes me that a saw a post on one of the forums several months ago indicating these parts had originally been cad or zinc dichromate coated w/no paint.

Anyone out there have more info about this...........
Bleyseng
I have a set of 914/6 ones that are original good condition and are gold color.
914werke
Never seen them in other than Black and Ive torn down quite a few cars.
Geoff my last car I striped was an orig 76 they were black
sixerdon
I've got the gold cad on both my sixes. Black on my '75. I'll have to check my '71 parts car.

Don
mihai914
The PET shows the -6 backing plates to be from a 911 application and the -4 to be from a VW, that would explain the difference in finishes. Every four I've seen was black but I don't know what type exactly.
Bleyseng
Yes, my 76 had black ones, kinda of a satin black finish. Still have them.
Pat Garvey
Well, these reponses seem to settle my question about the 4's - they were black, as I suspected.

But.......my '73 911, which is NOT a concours car has the same black shields. I scraped off the crud & came up with black paint! I know the PO well & also know he didn't get into refurbishing things. The original owner, who I don't know, had a cell antenna on the rear window so I seriously doubt he gave a sh_t about originality.

Would have thought there might be a lineage between these parts on a 6 & 11, but maybe my 11 is too new????

Good info though!
Bleyseng
heck, I'll dig them out and shoot some pics. Can't find that early rain tray...yet.
914runnow
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Oct 6 2006, 01:52 PM) *

I have a spare set of backing plates that Irecently picked up that are about as perfect as can be for a 30+ year old part subjected to weather.

I've always thought that these came originally with a satin black finish, and these DO have that finish (said to be original by the PO). However, strikes me that a saw a post on one of the forums several months ago indicating these parts had originally been cad or zinc dichromate coated w/no paint.

Anyone out there have more info about this...........

I have yet to put my new OEM ones on the front..
They came out of the warehouse in Reno back in 97/98....
They are the Satin Black finish..
Here is the grabber though..
I got em...SAID Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm..
The new ones paint was pretty poor..
So I powder coated my originals..and they came out better..
AND THE NEW ONES ARE THINNER STEEL!!!!!
THANX AGAIN PORSCHE alfred.gif
Lou W
My backing plates are yellow plated, my understanding when I purchased them was that they were either 914-6's or pre 73 911's.
Pat Garvey
Well, I can add more fuel to this fire ( a small one, as it is). Got these '72 plates from a Nevada '72 car. Somewhat grimey, but the only rust was surface rust in the edges. Carefully cleaned the crud off & they are GLOSS black. At first thought maybe they were repainted, but after sanding the surface rust into the paint discovered there was only original paint on them, and it is glossy.

Not sure about the later years, but I'm going with glossy on these, I think. Picking up a set of rears from a '72 this weekend. Hope that settles my issue, because I would prefer glossy. It's a four, not a six. I'd really prefer cad plating, but it would be wrong.
914runnow
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Oct 26 2006, 03:41 PM) *

Well, I can add more fuel to this fire ( a small one, as it is). Got these '72 plates from a Nevada '72 car. Somewhat grimey, but the only rust was surface rust in the edges. Carefully cleaned the crud off & they are GLOSS black. At first thought maybe they were repainted, but after sanding the surface rust into the paint discovered there was only original paint on them, and it is glossy.

Not sure about the later years, but I'm going with glossy on these, I think. Picking up a set of rears from a '72 this weekend. Hope that settles my issue, because I would prefer glossy. It's a four, not a six. I'd really prefer cad plating, but it would be wrong.

Yep this just goes back to that, different mfr's and years
produced different black finishes.
What was shot in the 70's.......
Would not match later years...
Stands to reason though.... confused24.gif
Eric_Shea
Gloss black on -4's
Cad on -6's
Eric_Shea
Also, did you see Andy's donut thread? Black hats on the rotors...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.