Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT Science Abuse!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Dr Evil
Yup happy11.gif

Redox smiley_notworthy.gif
grasshopper
chairfall.gif Thats awsome. We have done some of the small stuff in chem, but we havn't done rubidium or whatever the other one was yet. I'll see if our chem teacher will let us do it. laugh.gif
Jerry
A little more potent than dry ice in a coke bottle !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Hawktel
Can I get a Hell Ya!
KaptKaos
Mentos and diet coke is fun too. Look it up.
Sammy
I was a teacher's aide in 10th grade chemistry class because i was way ahead of them, my dad had been teaching me chemistry since I was three because he couldn't relate to people things and he wanted to spend time with me, so we did the periodic table. The project in class was making an oxygen generator from a chemical reaction and catching the oxygen in a 1 liter bottle. I gave the local dope-head a 1/2" strip of magnesium ribbon. he lit it on his tongs and stuck it in the oxygen.
1 liter flash bulb, kid lost his eye brows and part of his bangs. It actually left a shadow in the paint on the wall.
i got suspended for a week.
jimtab
Don't mix alkali metals with water.....always good advice.
sean_v8_914
there are more fun experiments with kitchen items but I dont want to get on that GOVERNMENT LIST
TonyAKAVW
During college I worked for a company a couple summers that among other things was working on a true 3-D volumetric display technology. It involved firing two lasers, one infrared and the other visible red at a single point and then scanning the two beams to trace out a volume made from 'voxels.'

This doesn't work in air, but if you have a sealed vessel with some cesium at the bottom and then vaporize it the cesium atoms are excited by the intersecting laser beams and as they drop back to their normal state they emit photons.

So this volumetric display worked by having a glass sphere with cesium at the bottom. I was always afraid of the thing cracking open or falling as the cesium would react with the humidity in the air, and pretty violently.

Luckily that never happened but I did accidentaly catch a glimpse of an infrared laser beam into my eye. It didn't cause any permanent damage, but being able to SEE infrared light is trippy.

-Tony
VegasRacer
QUOTE(Hawktel @ Oct 6 2006, 07:04 PM) *

Can I get a Hell Ya!

Hell Ya! smilie_pokal.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.