Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: slant 6 conversion?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
sww914
Should I do it? it's a bulletproof engine, from a 71 Dodge dart. I wonder if Renegade Hybrids has an adapter plate, clutch, motor mounts or anything else for it. drooley.gif
They were about 95 hp, so I'll be picking up 10-15 hp from a tired old 1.8.
Mueller
depends on which direction it leans..towards the drivers side or passanger side, you don't want to mess up the balance of the car biggrin.gif

maybe you can find one of the rare prototype aluminum block versions blink.gif
Maltese Falcon
Cliffords Inline Perf in Lake Elsinore ,CA has lots O'stuff for the slant sixes.
So.Cal.914
Had a 62 Ply valiant, great engine but IIRC it was a long block. Alot of money

for 15 hp, should be an interesting project.
Spoke
With 6 cylinders in a row, how long is the engine? Is it longer than a V8 cause those require moving the tranny back a bit.

My 2L '74 has about 93HP, a big difference from the '71 1.7L. But even the 2L could use more punch. Just my opinion, if going through the work of a water pumper, adapter plate, custom pipes, rewire, water pump adapter, etc., I would go to a Subaru or V8 and get 140 to ??? HP and have a real rocket on your hands.

Spoke
marks914
The engine will be in your back.
I guess you should convert a right hand drive car

Mark
jeff
I always though that a scat v-4 would be a really cool engine to use but,like anything else get out your wallet! huh.gif
JPB
The Subaru 6cyl is almost indestructible and has more punch for little dollar. Just found out they fit and look pretty good also.

beer.gif Big HPs=Big $$$.
anthony
When you add in the extra weight of that big cast iron pig you'll have a net performance loss. This is a joke, right?

At least you could always say that you were the first person to put a slant six in a 914. biggrin.gif
Sammy
Engine is too long, not a high revver, doesn't match the car's needs. If you were going to do it (and I say don't) then you should use a 240, 260, or 280Z engine with a pair of weber DCOE side drafts.
Trekkor
I would say only do it if you can somehow include a "push button" automatic in the swap chairfall.gif

I had a '61 Valiant.

KT
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.