Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: WOT: Cute "Girl Cars"
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Brian Mifsud
In a couple of years we'll be able to put the minivan into secondary use, and get my wife her "cute car". She favors the "bathtub Porsche" (interpreted as Speedster replica, or 356), but I ran across the Renault Dauphine Click to view attachmentClick to view attachmentClick to view attachment
which seems to fit the "cute" roll with margin. Idea would be to restore/modify with modern creature comforts but keep them low key (hidden ac/ stereo/ automatic trans, etc).

Other ideas?
TROJANMAN
the metropolitan is a cute car
914Sixer
I had a yellow one in high school in 1965. Butt ugly and great gas mileage. I bought it out of a wrecking yard for $100 and put a R-8 Gordini engine in it. It must have had a whopping 85 hp. It sure ran circles around a Beetle.
JPB
If you are going older car, Sunbeam Tiger, hands down bro.

If you are going not so new not so old, 308 Ferarri, think Nationla Lampoon's Vacation.

If you are thinking today's version of a "car" LOL, I'd say BMW Mini.

beer.gif I'd love an Asian chic in a 914, hellololo are you out thretherthere.

Blame them ricerocketeer's magazine with them sweet Asian godesses to blame on that. Crap these girls have hair only where it counts, gotta lululululove them Asians!!
914-8
boxster
Jeroen
my dad had one of those, with a Gordini engine in it
KaptKaos
Karmann Ghia might make a good alternative. Looks similar to a 356 and is quite a bit cheaper.
So.Cal.914
Had a 62 renault and boy what a nightmare that car was. Not that all of them

were but the one I had sure taught me how to fix ...... everything.

Speedster replica, T4 in the middle damn nice convertable I've seen some really

nice ones in my neck of the woods.
Cap'n Krusty
"Cute"? "Girl Car"? A 914 comes to mind ............... A number of interesting and attractive women drive them, and with panache and style ........

Now that I've dissed your manhood, how about a Volvo P544? Easily modernized, solid, reliable, and definitely "cute".

The Cap'n
BKLA
Audi TT convertible is what my wife chose.
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

She loves it!
Mountain914
I'm a man and I don't do girly-girl ! We all know the true manly-man car:
IPB Image

But without any conditions (are you looking specifically for a four door sedan ?) then I could throw a few names out, since you are looking to modernize something, it sounds like (original mechanicals of vehicle need not apply, I assume).

Austin Healy bug-eye sprite (sister had one when I was growing up)
IPB Image
Any old beetle (love the old oval-window versions)
IPB Image

The Nissan Figaro (don't know if you can get one) - based on your initial never-seen old car entry.
IPB Image

A-La American Graffiti - an old t-bird
IPB Image

Lots more - but what are your requirements ?
tesserra
Jag xk coupes.
They are relativly cheap, look cool and the newer ones have the Ford reliability going for them.
Not cute but a great girl car.
Brian Mifsud
Good suggestions.. I like the ideas...

Figaro looks alot like a Dauphine. Keep 'em coming...

My wife's definition of "cute" seems most associated with cars with very "round" "Lines".... basically, the automotive embodiment of a fat baby.....
Mountain914
Hmmm... round fat babies...

1969 Alfa Romeo Duetto
IPB Image

Citreons are really round -it's an "UGLY" fat baby.
IPB Image

69 fiat 500
IPB Image
Tobra
Convertible bug, you can get most of the parts for them still. If you live in San Diego, it is not like you need air conditioning. Has a back seat, lined top. I always loved my bug. Small, but not so small as to be quite as dangerous as some of those others. If you live in the hills down there, the lack of power is a bit of a bummer though

Click to view attachment
swl
In the next year or so you could go modern cute. Mercedes is supposed to be bringing the smart car to the US. Girls seem to find them 'cute'.

Two seat, mid-engine, underpowered, 'targa' with quirky styling. Remind you of any car we know?

smart usa
Mountain914
QUOTE(swl @ Oct 7 2006, 12:02 PM) *

In the next year or so you could go modern cute. Mercedes is supposed to be bringing the smart car to the US. Girls seem to find them 'cute'.

Two seat, mid-engine, underpowered, 'targa' with quirky styling. Remind you of any car we know?

smart usa

I was driving by a dealership in Longmont Colorado (don't know if it was Mercedes, though) - and saw two of them out front. So, my guess is they are already here!
swl
QUOTE(Mountain914 @ Oct 7 2006, 10:15 AM) *

I was driving by a dealership in Longmont Colorado (don't know if it was Mercedes, though) - and saw two of them out front. So, my guess is they are already here!

There is an outfit called ZAP who has been buying them from Euro dealerships and 'americanizing' them.
Crazyhippy
Saw one on the road last weekend during Our Lady of Mulholland services

BJH
jimtab
My wife absolutely loves her '95 Red miata and I love it because it's maintainance needs are few....paid only 3500 for it about 4 years ago...still worth nearly that much....hard to beat.
zen motorcycle
How about a Volvo p1800.

You know The Saints car
wbergtho
You missed this "cute" little car on E-Bay a few days ago. Damn...I suppose you could buy a collection of junk from a landfill and try to model a new car after this one. confused24.gif It's sleek, sexy and most of all "cute"... wacko.gif
zen motorcycle
QUOTE(wbergtho @ Oct 7 2006, 06:28 PM) *

You missed this "cute" little car on E-Bay a few days ago. Damn...I suppose you could buy a collection of junk from a landfill and try to model a new car after this one. confused24.gif It's sleek, sexy and most of all "cute"... wacko.gif

Looking at the grill badge I believe that is a Mercedes. Just go to your local dealer and ask for the "special"
VaccaRabite
Also, look into Mini Coopers - either old or new.

The new ones will not be the maintnece night-mare that other old cars would be. But even the base model Mini might KO your 914 (at least if it is a 4). Also, the Mini has done very will in crash tests, and will fare much better then any 30+ year old sports car in a wreck. Course, you pay though the nose of them, even used.

For me, I have been trying to talk my finacee into a MG Midget. There are a lot of MGs around where I live, and I love them. Old MGs tend to make great chick cars.

Zach
Goge
Brian-
Can't help you with the girl car. Just posted to say:

"Dude, you stole my avatar!"

That's downright underhanded.

-TH
rick 918-S
Here's Sandy's car. under construction. confused24.gif

1959 Austin Healey Bugeye.
rick 918-S
Here's her last car. We sold it. She never drove it.
dlee1967
In my experience the ladies really like the BMW 2002. Behr A/C, add a 320 5 speed and limited slip and you are in business. Large trunk for shopping and a back seat for rugrat hauling. These handle well and you can take them on the interstate safely as opposed to the Bugeye, Minis or 2CVs....
rick 918-S
got ya covered with the 2002. wife doesn't really like it though.
Brian Mifsud
QUOTE(Goge @ Oct 7 2006, 05:13 PM) *

Brian-
Can't help you with the girl car. Just posted to say:

"Dude, you stole my avatar!"

That's downright underhanded.

-TH

what Avatar?????........ hey. I used to work with "The Plankton".... he's 5'0", shaved head, and huge Napoleonic Complex..... I just saw him last week and was doing one of my Photoshop character assassinations... I liked the Plankton pic so much I borrowed it for awhile.

Okay. back to normal...
VaccaRabite
The 2002 is a great car.

I want too many old cars.... laugh.gif

Zach
Aaron Cox
love the 02's... and datsun 510's with..... wankel rotary power
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.