Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: Need some work done on 911
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
boxsterfan
I live in San Francisco, and I was wondering if anyone could refer a good shop to take my 1986 911 to get worked on. Basically, it needs some tranny work as it is getting hard to get into 1st and second, probably due for a new clutch, windows stopped working, removal of old tint, removal of older modified stereo system, new carpet, and a broken brake light.

I don't drive her much, but it is time to get the car back in order.

Given cost, I was hoping to stay away from the dealer, but I guess you never know.
VaccaRabite
Though I am sure you could get an answer here, you might have better luck with thei question on Pelecan or Rennlist.

Zach
JPB
Ya, the dealer is a very expensive place to get anything done. I have a fobia of mechanics anyways and that dosen't help. It can't be all that hard to find a local car dude. Besides, the Porsche waiting rooms tend to be a somber and quiet place where Porsche car owners seem to be pondering on why the hell are they putting themslves through this punishment and abuse.

beer.gif The best repair shop is a 914 home repair shop with some 911 donor cars in the driveway. "I'm in heaveeeeen, symply cause you are dancing here with me........"

So.Cal.914
QUOTE(JPB @ Oct 7 2006, 05:19 PM) *

Ya, the dealer is a very expensive place to get anything done. I have a fobia of mechanics anyways and that dosen't help.

Took it up the exhaust pipe one time to many without the courtesy of a reach around?
Joe Bob
Dealer here won't touch anything 10 years or older.....
anthony
Don't trust any dealer to know shit about an '86 911. Lot of folks on the Pelican board have been recommending MobileWorks:

http://www.mobileworkseast.com/

They come to your house and do the work. In San Rafael there is S Car Go. They have a great reputation but I imagine are expensive.

In Mountain View I'd recommend Heyer Performance. Tony Heyer did the PPI on my 911 and I was totally impressed.

http://192.220.99.222/heyerperformance/index.php

Pat Garvey
Appreciate your problem, though I'm 3000 miles away! Seems that the more "vintage" a Porsche 911 becomes, the less likely a dealer is willing to work on it. And, if they do (unless they have an oldtimer mechanic) you're going to get screwed.

One of my local "revered" Porsche dealers, whose name will not be diverged, though it sounds like Hol_erts, has been a total disaster. When I moved to Pa eleven years ago I thought - "I'm now in the land of Hol_ert Porsche, the Mecca od Porschephiles". Nope, they are without a doubt worthless & have succumbed to the the era of making they're money in the shop & not standing by they're works. Al Jr & Sr are gone.

So, just like when I bought my 914, bought books, tools & dialed into the right e-people. Most of it you can do yourself & save thousands! Just takes time, patience, tools, etc.
dbu356
http://www.porboys.com/
Dr Evil
I too am 3000 miles away, but if I can help you with your tranny let me know.
mikey
I don't know about the windows,stereo,carpet,etc. but if you need transmission work I can give a recommendation. I had my 914-6 transaxle rebuilt and converted to side shift at Ron's Transaxle in San Pablo. Jim Breazeale (sp?) at EASY recommended them to me.

Ron's Transaxle
1009 Broadway Ave
San Pablo, CA
(510) 235-6263

Might not be your place if you only have clutch problems though.

QUOTE(boxsterfan @ Oct 7 2006, 05:09 PM) *

I live in San Francisco, and I was wondering if anyone could refer a good shop to take my 1986 911 to get worked on. Basically, it needs some tranny work as it is getting hard to get into 1st and second, probably due for a new clutch, windows stopped working, removal of old tint, removal of older modified stereo system, new carpet, and a broken brake light.

I don't drive her much, but it is time to get the car back in order.

Given cost, I was hoping to stay away from the dealer, but I guess you never know.
Dave_Darling
I'm not all that wild about the Mobile Works deal (at least, not so far).

If you're willing to head south, I will second the recommendation for Tony Heyer. I will also recommend Bob Grigsby at RMG Enterprises in Sunnyvale. Both are top-notch mechanics, neither one will BS you. Neither one is inexpensive, but then again you do get what you pay for.

--DD
JPB
QUOTE(So.Cal.914 @ Oct 7 2006, 08:31 PM) *

QUOTE(JPB @ Oct 7 2006, 05:19 PM) *

Ya, the dealer is a very expensive place to get anything done. I have a fobia of mechanics anyways and that dosen't help.

Took it up the exhaust pipe one time to many without the courtesy of a reach around?

I understand and sometimes, one just has to please one's self in such a situation. biggrin.gif
boxsterfan
Thanks for all of the replies. I will make a few calls around to the ones down the peninsula.

thumb3d.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.